How have tarot readers been received in society?

tarotbear

People seem to be more interested in the fact that I'm male and do readings than anything else. (Direct quote from a client: "I've never had a tarot reading from a MAN before.") Apparently being a guy is more frowned upon than reading Tarot in my local area. ;)

Everyone in the world knows that MEN have no psychic abilities whatsoever .... :joke:

{Page 95 - 'No Reading on Sundays - and Other Tarot Rules' : "Only women are sensitive enough to do divination." }

MagsStardustBlack

"Well, then," he said, "what am I going to ask you now?" "you are going to ask me if I can decide the case based strictly on the evidence offered and not on information I may get 'outside' or 'from above.'" He stepped back. "that is exactly what I was going to say!" "Well, CAN YOU...." and he went through the whole question. "Yes, I said" I can." but I still got off jury duty--again.

But the surprise and I think hostility of the other jurors was palpable.

That is incredible. Bet you could cut the atmosphere with a knife. Thank you for sharing Barb :) So are you saying after that they didn't want you on jury duties and they didn't pick you? Bonus!

Mags :)

MagsStardustBlack

Everyone in the world knows that MEN have no psychic abilities whatsoever .... :joke:

{Page 95 - 'No Reading on Sundays - and Other Tarot Rules' : "Only women are sensitive enough to do divination." }

What is this book of yours tarot bear? The second rule seems understandable, on some level women are better or more intuitively sensitive and advanced for sure....

;) ickle joke before you turn grumpy bear ;)

Where i am it is pretty much 50/50 male/female readers. Men are just as accepted. And the best reader i have known of is Hector and older man. He ave 3 years worth of predictions to my husband all of which came true and he was so humble he didn't claimed not be psychic at all. Maybe he wasn't.

MagsStardustBlack

"I've never had a tarot reading from a MAN before.") Apparently being a guy is more frowned upon than reading Tarot in my local area. ;)

oh dear, that is too bad because your stuck with that. :)

Luna-Ocean

my house it covered in tarot, and my daughter has her own deck, she is 6. She wanted to take it for 'show and tell' purely for fun, as a deck of cards...this year.... the school said 'no'. There is now a new head teacher, who seems lovely and down to earth. If my daughter asked again i would have to think about it.

I bet it would be so interesting walking into your house i can imagine seeing Tarot printed curtains and table cloths and Tarot decks everywhere, i didn't mention that i have a few friends who are not so keen on the Tarot so i tend to hide my decks out of sight when they come to visit me, i'm now going to see if there is any Tarot furniture available on ebay. :)

sladie

I was surprised

Always take people with a grain of salt. I haven't been told anything that's hurt my feelings (and I'm extremely sensitive to harsh words), but it's all about focusing on what you do and what you love. It doesn't matter what other people think. I dress up in a purple and green coat with gold threads all through it, my hair in curls with the big golden earrings, the bangles, bold make up, a head scarf, you name it - because it helps me focus and have fun what I do. I'm proud of myself, and you should be too. I don't have children, but I told my boyfriend if I did, I'd teach them Tarot and Pendulum work at a young age so they understood it. I'd teach them that it's okay being weird and different because we're all different. My difference growing up made it difficult yes, but now I embrace it.

I have really bad social anxiety, the worst thing ever said to me was "is this boloney?" and "it must be hippie night." both of which I just ignored and carried on to what I was doing, focusing on the cards and the person in front of me. Most people will think what they'll think, and it's important to remember that they don't matter - what matters is what you think, how you feel, and what you think is best for you.

I've been lucky in my journey though, I've met good friends and had great experiences with my Tarot journey. I hope you do too.

tarotbear

Where I am it is pretty much 50/50 male/female readers. Men are just as accepted. And the best reader I have known of is Hector, an older man.

So, does everyone (who says men can't read Tarot) mean that Waite, Levi, Crowley, and the rest of those occultists are just chopped liver? :bugeyed:

Disa

i didn't say that??? Re-read my post.....

Again, your missing my point......

very much so....

Absolutely not, and you are very much off a really strange direction.

Also please read my original post if you are confused, and the thread title if you are still unsure of what my thread is about.....

I also said specifically this was not a discussion on my situation, that if was to see 'how tarot reader have been received in society?'

Oh, well. Sorry to have misunderstood everything you are saying. Best of luck to you.

My book of Tarot Myths, Legends, and Tall Tales - here.

***ETA***

Hey! Someone reviewed my Tarot humor book! :joke:

That was me, silly. I love that book :)

MagsStardustBlack

So, does everyone (who says men can't read Tarot) mean that Waite, Levi, Crowley, and the rest of those occultists are just chopped liver? :bugeyed:

guess so.... Or maybe they have no idea about tarot history and only know the generalized view of the traditional gypsy woman in her caravan reading fortunes.