How have tarot readers been received in society?

tarotbear

Some feel it's witchcraft, but mostly I'm met with curiosity.

You . Mean . It's . Not ? :confused:

"Tarot and Witchcraft are inextricably linked and everyone who reads Tarot IS A WITCH, and vice versa!" :bugeyed:

{Page 91 - 'No Reading on Sundays - and Other Tarot Rules'} :joke:

Disa

my house it covered in tarot, and my daughter has her own deck, she is 6. She wanted to take it for 'show and tell' purely for fun, as a deck of cards...this year.... the school said 'no'. There is now a new head teacher, who seems lovely and down to earth. If my daughter asked again i would have to think about it.

Well, I guess if you are willing to let her take a deck to school, and ask the new teacher about it after the old one said no, I don't really understand what your original post is about? And if she's only 6, those kids won't know yet to treat her any differently about anything related to cards or what you do for a living. I guess I'm missing the point. Are you worried that the school administration will treat her differently if you are a Tarot reader?

You . Mean . It's . Not ? :confused:

"Tarot and Witchcraft are inextricably linked and everyone who reads Tarot IS A WITCH, and vice versa!" :bugeyed:

{Page 91 - 'No Reading on Sundays - and Other Tarot Rules'} :joke:

It's in the book, it must be true ;)

Michael Sternbach

The famous physicist Richard Feynman said something to the effect that if you care about what others are thinking, you have a problem.

I understand that you are concerned about your kids, however. But again, what message do you want to convey to them? "Submit to the prevalent opinion"? "Don't even think of being a little original"? "Be a good sheep"?

Or is it: "Be proud of what you are"? "Stand by what you think is cool"?

Remember... There will always be bullies of one kind or another. What they are looking for is easy victims... people insecure of themselves.

MagsStardustBlack

The famous physicist Richard Feynman said something to the effect that if you care about what others are thinking, you have a problem.

I understand that you are concerned about your kids, however. But again, what message do you want to convey to them? "Submit to the prevalent opinion"? "Don't even think of being a little original"? "Be a good sheep"?

Or is it: "Be proud of what you are"? "Stand by what you think is cool"?

Remember... There will always be bullies of one kind or another. What they are looking for is easy victims... people insecure of themselves.

I'm pretty sure I said I didn't care what others think of me :)

And I'm pretty sure I said I wasn' t intending to discuss my own situation too. I wasn't asking for advice, just interested to hear how others have been received in society :)

Have you got children? It's not always that simple.

But I do agree with your statement of bullying and it is true. :)

Michael Sternbach

Okay. But you said:

I'm thinking about societies opinions, judgments and fears. But also about societies being open and accepting. Generally where i live it is very accepting to be going to church on a Sunday, yet to be as open with 'I'm of to my tarot group or sacred circle' might draw some looks and chattering. People however are reserved or polite and mostly aren't outspoken about others views. In saying that i do have a friend who is a witch and she told me that one of her visiting friends is always outspoken about 'the broomstick at the from door' telling my friend to 'get that thing in the loft' Needless to say my friend doesn't listen to her, but is accepting of her judgments by continuing inviting her over. I'm not sure a friend of mine would be invited back if they told me to get rid of my tarot decks.

It's no wonder then that commentators will be inclined to include the wider context of your question. I think, the fact that you mentioned all this demonstrates that your outlook on your own situation cannot really be separated from your query if one is to reply to it adequately. Different people (including children) in a similar environment can make quite different experiences according to what they radiate. That's how I would approach this issue, but then again, I'm sooo used to look at situations from a counsellor's perspective. I didn't intend to cross any line, though. :)

Best,
Michael

MagsStardustBlack

Okay. But you said:

It's no wonder then that commentators will be inclined to include the wider context of your question. I think, the fact that you mentioned all this demonstrates that your outlook on your own situation cannot really be separated from your query if one is to reply to it adequately. Different people (including children) in a similar environment can make quite different experiences according to what they radiate. That's how I would approach this issue, but then again, I'm sooo used to look at situations from a counselor's perspective. I didn't intend to cross any line, though. :)

Best,
Michael
I happen to be a counselling student myself. In the person centered model. So I tend to be very considerate of how things can affect people.

To give an example we discussed in class. A man was talking about his family and saying that his parents were eccentric and unique and very laid back while he was growing up. He said they were wonderful parents. Encouraging him to be confident and original. Yet he said his childhood was awful, a complete nightmare. His parents were of the attitude 'do what we want and don't care what others say' yet he was ridiculed in school for being different he was excluded by his peers. And everyone thought he was to different. Just an example to illustrate my point.

Acceptance is important for every human being, so is social inclusion, but you will know that being a trained counselor :) it is a basic human need. So yes be yourself, be confident. But if you are chastised for it that is not that great either.

But yes I did specifically say what my thread was concentrating on. The information I gave was to give an idea of why I was musing. And I did say I wasn't interested in a discussion on myself and my situation.

If i am congruent i feel vexed when people assume because you have posted something that they can then be intrusive or dissect your post or offer critical analysis on a situation or assume to tell you how it is, it's like you become an open target, yet this forum is a warm receiving environment, however i have seen from time to time people react that way, and i feel like it says more about them than the person they are making dialogue with. Especially as I made it clear what i intended to chat about and what i was interested in discovering, some folk will read the words yet make of it what they want.

And just to clarify my queries (thread) 'How are tarot readers received in society' seems pretty clear to me. If you miss understood fair enough, but my thread opening post was very clear.

And I'm sorry but it was just yourself and one other poster that chose to 'get personal'.

Anyways :) pinch of salt :)

MagsStardustBlack

I'm not sure people in my area would consider tarot dangerous so much as they would think me some kind of idiot for using it. The people in my office block know I read; it's regarded with an amused tolerance because I am otherwise known as a level headed, sensible businesswoman. In my local area (and all my neighbours know I read) it's just something I do. Again it's met with a sort of resigned tolerance.

Yes i have to smile, i do understand this reaction well. Then in the next breath they say 'Oo do me a reading' :bugeyed:

MagsStardustBlack

Well, I guess if you are willing to let her take a deck to school, and ask the new teacher about it after the old one said no, I don't really understand what your original post is about?

i didn't say that??? Re-read my post.....

And if she's only 6, those kids won't know yet to treat her any differently about anything related to cards or what you do for a living.

Again, your missing my point......

I guess I'm missing the point.

very much so....

Are you worried that the school administration will treat her differently if you are a Tarot reader?

Absolutely not, and you are very much off a really strange direction.

Also please read my original post if you are confused, and the thread title if you are still unsure of what my thread is about.....

I also said specifically this was not a discussion on my situation, that if was to see 'how tarot reader have been received in society?'

Ace

Here in the American Mid-West (Illinois) it is very mixed reception. When I went to the Mayo Clinic, the word got around that a Tarot reader was being treated and it was rather a hoot, but other places it is definitely frowned on. My favorite story is being on Jury duty:

The SECOND time I was on Jury duty, like the first (there is a reason I tell it like this, wait and see,) I didn't tell the fellow candidates what I do. So when the prosecuting attorney interviewed me and asked, "so your occupation is 'Psychic Entertainer'? what does that mean?" I told him that I read tarot and palms for parties and events in a way that was positive and fun. Meanwhile, I could feel the other jurors edging away from me. "Well, then," he said, "what am I going to ask you now?" "you are going to ask me if I can decide the case based strictly on the evidence offered and not on information I may get 'outside' or 'from above.'" He stepped back. "that is exactly what I was going to say!" "Well, CAN YOU...." and he went through the whole question. "Yes, I said" I can." but I still got off jury duty--again.

But the surprise and I think hostility of the other jurors was palpable.

Some like it and some don't but I don't mention it all the time like I used to. It is either old hat or something bad, depending on whom you speak to. But one must be careful in these United States these days, where religion is a "good" excuse for a lot of evil things.

Barb

Freskin

It's generally a mixed bag response for me.

I have an uncle who is a Baptist minister, so most of the disapproval comes from my own family. My Mother (who hasn't been in a church in close to two decades) is convinced that I'm going straight to hell, but has no idea why she believes this.

Other than that, I've had a lot of positive feedback from anyone I've read for. I have a room set up in the back of my local esoteric shop, where I read on weekends. The benefit of this setup is that anyone who comes into the shop is likely receptive to what I do to begin with.

I don't advertise much otherwise, and don't see the point in revealing what I do to anyone who's not likely interested anyways.

People seem to be more interested in the fact that I'm male and do readings than anything else. (Direct quote from a client: "I've never had a tarot reading from a MAN before.") Apparently being a guy is more frowned upon than reading Tarot in my local area. ;)