how I read the GT

tarotguidance

Thank you.

Izzydunne

You're very welcome.

Barleywine

I am happy to give the meanings that I use. The funny thing is that I didn't have any written down, so I took a few minutes to make this list. These should be a benefit to anyone who wishes to embrace this approach, or any other approach. Here we go........ enjoy:

1.Rider=News
2.Clover=Luck
3.Ship=Travel, movement, possible relocation
4.House=The physical house you live in, your home environment
5.Tree=Health, things that take a long time, or last a long time
6.Clouds=Confusion, can't see clearly
7.Snake=Deception
8.Coffin=Something ends
9.Bouquet=An invitation, a gift
10.Scythe=Painful, cutting away
11.Whip=Conflict, arguments, taking a beating (real or metaphor)
12.Birds=Communication, nervous energy
13.Child=Something new begins, a child
14.Fox=At best tricky and selfish, at worst a deceiver or deception
15.Bear=A strong person, a boss, reliable
16.Stars=Your dream, help from above
17.Stork=The card of change
18.Dog=Friend, loyal
19.Tower=Something big, places of authority, alone
20.Garden=Groups of people (big or small), social event, places where people get together
21.Mountain=Blocked
22.Crossroads=A choice
23.Mice=Loss, eaten away, diminishes
24.Heart=Love, something you love
25.Ring=Partnership, contracts, marriage
26.Book=Secrets, something that cannot be revealed at this time
27.Letter=Messages, documents
28.Man=You or your sweetheart
29.Woman=You or your sweetheart
30.Lily=Sex, peaceful and calm
31.Sun=Success, happiness, the good things in life
32.Moon=Recognition, your emotions
33.Key=The answer, it will come to pass
34.Fish=The money card
35.Anchor=Job/career, things that anchor you in life and give stability
36.Cross=Suffering

And there you have it. The question or the surrounding cards will indicate which meaning is to be used when there is more than one possible meaning for a card.

Thanks for this! Because I plan to start out working completely within the tradition, I've been having some fun tying the qualifying statements (near, distant, above, below, surrounding, etc.) in the PL sheet to these uncluttered meanings without sabotaging their basic simplicity.

minotaur

Thank you for all the work you spent sharing in this thread Izzydunne. It is appreciated.

Village Witch

Many people read the GT in such a way that not every card is read. As I understand it, readers often look first to what cards surround the focus card(s), then to the vertical and horizontal lines that include the focus card(s). So there are many cards in a GT which aren't read at all. So even though the Cross appears, it may not necessarily need to be referenced in a reading.

I find that I over analyze the GT. I read both horizontal and vertical, of course, but I also box the major players. I often read the house and house-to-house. I read the first three to four cards as an overview and the last four cards as the summary.

Needless to say, sometimes my readings scare my silly. One negative card throws me into a tizzy.

I am new to Lenormand and have lots to learn.

Izzydunne

Minotaur:

Thank you for appreciating my efforts.