How to make a deck smell good

gregory

Who's making fun ? I believe you; it's very logical - just didn't want poor MysticalMoose thinking one had to keep it afterwards and be stuck with it. As long as it isn't pre-peed-on, I will take it... :D

Pagan X

The silica bead kitty litter. Great stuff. Also good for athletic shoes, closets, the refrigerator, baby diaper pails, and musty car trunk.

celticnoodle

actually lark, i forgot about the kitty litter trick! i have not had a kitty in over 25 years---but yes, kitty litter does the trick too!!! in fact, it's a cheap and easy way to take care of a smelly problem. as long, (as gregory mentioned) it's not already peed on!

MysticalMoose

My Mom has a cat....I'll see if I can um...borrow.. abit of hers to deal with a few more niffy decks!!!! :D

HonestPuck

I almost wish that I had a bad smelling deck or book to try some of these things out.

lunar_rabbit

Paper is absorbent, so the card will take on the scent of whatever is around them. Hence the reason many of our decks smell like the incense we keep in the same drawer!

My suggestion would be to put them in a loose mesh bag and keep them in a box or drawer that has other good smelling stuff in it --- pot pourri, candles, incense. Whatever you like.Shuffle them every now and then, or give 'em a shake so there will be different cards on the tops and bottoms. My guess is that the smell will be gone in a few days.

I would be reluctant to get anything ON the cards, like the chemicals from a dryer sheet, or baking soda, and especially not oils. But I might just be super paranoid!

Alta

I also would be reluctant to put anything on the cards. Those methods that keep something absorbent nearby but not touching seem safest to me.

Cerulean

I liked Umbrae's version, as he said...

I know some very considerate and sensible people such as him who smoke or have dealt with smoke and you wouldn't know it at all! Both my husband and I have a bit of sensitivity in such aromas...

I used an old shoebox on a shady, well-ventilated porch and both the late afternoon and early morning air was wafting through the box and cards filled with baking soda.

I first put down a layer of baking soda, then dried rosemary and pine sprigs and thin layers of folded paper towels...then more baking soda, rosemary and a cotton or linen fabric that covers the bottom layers and next, my cards.

It worked on two or three decks.

Incense sticks also work.

Best wishes,

Cerulean

Logiatrix

Best to neutralize of the bad smell first, before adding the incense, etc.
I tried the good smelling techniques (dryer sheets, Nag Champa, and so on) to get rid of the smokey odor of a deck, and all it did was add to the cigarette smell.
Yep, I highly suggest stamping out the stink first...
:)

Esther

My grandma, a chain-smoker, has given me several books over the years that inevitably smelled like smoke from being in her apartment a while. Usually, the smell has faded over time without much done from me, but it takes a while and if you want them to smell GOOD, versus merely not smelling as bad, some incense or something is a good idea.

I have these old cigar boxes that a guy who worked in a cigarette shop gave me, and I was hesitant to use them because of the cigar smell. I ended up putting a bag of potpourri in an unsealed ziplock bag (I had had it on my wooden dresser before and hadn't wanted any oils or anything to seep out of the bag) inside each of the boxes for a while and that helped clear up the smell and make them smell good.