How to tell on Amazon re: deck of cards, book, set of both

rachelcat

Another good strategy with Amazon Marketplace items is:

If you KNOW the item ONLY comes as a set (deck and book do not have separate packaging or ISBN), and the seller lists it as NEW, you should be safe.

If you get just the book, obviously the package was opened, so the item wasn't new. But then you still have to get your money back. But then you're completely justified in slamming the seller pretty hard!

Of course, contacting the seller is probably the easiest thing to do, if you think about it . . .

greatdane

I agree with Rachelcat

I always em seller and ask if book is included or cards! Sometimes you think it has to at least be the cards and you find they're only selling the book! And not cheaply! But overall, I've had very good experience with individual vendors. Got a great deal on the Wisdom Well.

amethyst57

i've always type in deck and book...
with the used ones, they usually say whether it just the book or the deck, when you click on the 'used' botton to get to the offer listing page...look under the seller's info...
never had any problem like that with amazon....

AJ

if it says paperback or hardback I look for the number of pages.
If 78 I figure it is a deck and not a book.

Many many marketplace sellers on amazon have 100's of 1000's of books. Powell's for instance. They have the original store which now covers nearly 3 blocks downtown Portland, three stories of it, plus they have satellite stores at the Airport and scattered around the metro area.

Answering questions like is it a kit of just a deck is probably a real problem for them. That said I've had good success when I email they directly from the Powell's website.

How do they get all that inventory uploaded? Certainly not one by one with the item in front of them except for the very first time the book crosses their desk, perhaps two or three years before someone clicks on by. There is software that will upload the entire inventory in seconds on as many book selling places as there are on the web.

Just saying...so if the Amazon marketplace seller has perhaps less than 1000 items listed they will probably be glad to connect with a potential buyer. The other guys...not so interested.

greatdane

Never had a problem with a reply

Sorry you have had some vendors not get back to you, AJ. I've had both the very small and very large always get back to me. The larger ones may take a day or two, but overall I've never lost out waiting for a reply. I generally don't like to get used decks from Amazon though. I prefer to get from ATers I know, as I've never been disappointed in the quality of what I've gotten.

GD

desertrat

SloughSister said:
I was trying to price all the decks on my wish list. I was using Aeclectic as my starting point and clicking to Amazon from there. Many of the Amazon dot com links from AT (which I would use cuz it supports AT, right?) lead to a listing on Amazon that says PAPERBACK and does NOT say "cards" or "deck." That's why I am / have been confused and began the thread.
SS, it is confusing and frustrating. I do know that Amazon will describe a deck as paperback for some reason. I've bought quite a few decks described as such, and have always received a deck, not a book, but maybe I've just been lucky. The really tricky ones are the OOP decks. In those cases I dealt with 3rd party sellers and I made sure either the description mentioned cards or, if not, I emailed them to find out.

tarotlyn

:):heart: Hi! AJ...so glad to see you on AT! :thumbsup::)
:heart: HUGS
Lyn

gregory

Aerin said:
That is lazy on the part of the seller. It means "I can't be bothered to describe my product properly." Amazon give you LOADS of space for a detailed description of what it is you are selling, and good marketplace sellers will specifiy in the descriptiion "book only" or "deck and book" etc if the link is to a set. Anyone who tells you otherwise...

They should also reply to your emails. If not don't buy from them.
I have NEVER had a seller not respond ! (And they aren't all clever like you, Aerin ;))

HighPriestess

I've ordered most of my decks from Amazon, and usually if they mean "just the deck" it'll say "Cards", but sometimes they say "paperback" and "hardcover" for the kits. I've noticed that when it's just the book they will say "_____ Tarot Book".

Sometimes the descriptions will tell you as well. For instance, the Shadowscapes kit says "Shadowscapes Tarot - Paperback" while the deck-only version says "Shadowscapes Tarot Deck - Paperback" and the description mentions the small booklet that's included with the deck.

I don't know about the marketplace 'cause I've never used it.

peaceandkarma

Thats the problem with large retailers, most of the time they incorrectly list there items and are so large they never seem to update there listings. If you know the EAN or UPC you can search Amazon with this number to get the correct item. You can find this from the manufacturs website. I prefer buying Tarot Cards from independant websites as they can give a more personal touch.