How were cards made?

Ankou

I found the use of stencils for color application to be a really great solution to early mass production. The photos in one of cerulean's links were extremely useful for process info...

Baba-Prauge, what kind of work does your friend print? Is it fine art? What kind of finnishing process do they use?

I found the press laminiting interesting also but there were no details in the thread... Is it just the amount of pressure used like a coal to diamond?
hmmm...

Time to sit down and surf...

Love and Light,

Ankou

DoctorArcanus

cards engraved on copper

I think two ancient Italian decks are engraved on copper:

Sola Busca (dating between 1490/1530)

The so called Tarocchi di Mantegna (1460/1470)

A particularly precious technique only used in the Visconti cards (as far as I know) is gold plating.

Marco

Ross G Caldwell

Hi Marco,

DoctorArcanus said:
I think two ancient Italian decks are engraved on copper:

Sola Busca (dating between 1490/1530)

The so called Tarocchi di Mantegna (1460/1470)

A particularly precious technique only used in the Visconti cards (as far as I know) is gold plating.

Marco

... don't you mean gold leafing? :)

I think the Este cards and the Catania and "Charles VI" are gold leafed too.

I don't know about the 15th century copies of the Visconti-Sforza cards, or the Rothschild etc.

Sola Busca on copper... I had forgotten about that.

DoctorArcanus

Ross G Caldwell said:
... don't you mean gold leafing? :)

I do! What I most like in gold leafing is the light 3D effect of "punzonatura"....I have no idea of the English word for this. The kind od pattern that was produced by impressing very little holes on the gold surface. This must be a difficult technique!

Ross G Caldwell said:
I think the Este cards and the Catania and "Charles VI" are gold leafed too.
I don't know about the 15th century copies of the Visconti-Sforza cards, or the Rothschild etc.

Yes you are right again!
Il Mondo e l'Angelo p.112 shows a King of Coins from the Rothschild deck with very sofisticated gold leafing.

I think Atanas Atanassov, who hand painted the reproductions of many decks by lo scarabeo, is an expert in ancient techniques. Looking at his cards, I think he painted them more or less in the same scale that they are printed in. By his name and his style, I think he might have studied as an iconograph. In eastern Europe there are schools of icon painting whose tradition links without interruptions to classical Greek and Roman art. People who studied there know a lot about ancient painting!

Ankou

Actually it's the Icon paintings of the medievil period which makes me think tempras were probably the first opaque coloring used for cards. I knew a woman once who had recreated the material and process of iconic painting, but alas I'm not in contact with her now.

The leafing is definately an aspect of early card making which shows how great these miniaturist craftsmen (women) were. Embossed leafing is no easy feat, nor flat leafing for that matter!

Thanks so much for pitching in guys!!!!

Love and Light,

Ankou

geomancer

I have only picked up on this thread but may be able to some insight to the discussion. I am a bit hazy on the precise dates as it has been some time since I have used this info.

The art of laying gold leaf is called gilding and the person who applies gold leaf is a gilder. The development of gold leaf is traced back to ancient Egypt where gold leaf was applied to funery items (approx. 3000 bce from memory).

The art was not picked up in Europe until aprox. 12th century. By the time of the renaissance gilding was an accomplished art and the same methods for the production of the leaf and application cannot be bettered today. I speak from the viewpoint of a gilder.

Giding was used extensively in manuscripts, on icons and solid objects (statues) and as an architectural embellishment. The application to tarot cards was really a natural progression and the art of gilding was part of every artists training. The proliferation of gilding in this period in way detracts from the beauty and skill involved inthese cards.

The Visconti/Sforza deck are a favourite of mine and form the basis of an extensive study.

As mentioned in an earlier post giving the history of paper making in Europe, linen was a source of raw material for paper. This was actually for economic reasons as it was found that old clothing could be rendered down and the fibre reclaimed to make paper cheaper than the processing of woob based products. Today linen paper is highly regarded by artists for its archival qualities.

The cards were produced on sheets of paper using wood blocks, cut out and pasted onto a backing card. Herein lay a big problem. The glues used would often "bleed" through the paper in time and even cause the paper to break down. The most durable glues of the time were made from boiling Scraps of parchment (animal hide) until it formed a glutenous solution and then strained.

The same process was also done with fish heads. This was by far the better glue for archival purposes.

The paints used were a water paint that was also used in the illuminated manuscripts that we normally associated with the period. The equivalent artists paint today is called designers gouache. It is the same basic formulation as used by the icon painters. By adding a drop of egg yolk it the becomes egg tempura, much favoured by icon painters.

The egg adds adhesion to the paint and can also be used to give extra depth to colour as well as turning a naturally matt finis into a subtle satin finish. If the egg yolk was overdone , this caused other problems.

I hope this reply has added some value to the thread and not caused too much confusion.

Geomancer

blashamma

Thank You everyone! I'm still, however, am not clear on the laminating process. To me it sounds like it was just put through a press. Was anything actually used to protect the cards?

Ankou

Hey Blash hope you haven't given up on this thread darling!

What part of the lamination? I think if your trying to recreate the original process Rabbit Skin glue sounds like the nearest equivalent for pasting paper to card stock...

As far as the final lamination, I'm not sure, even having read the links our wonderful village has supplied,

My husband suggested that it may have been a thin wax coating, I think it may have been a thin varnish... Next week when I have time again I'll see if I can find the info...

Unless one of you lovelies knows already? :D

Love and light,

Ankou

blashamma

Oh I haven't given up, I was just waiting for a reply. I've also been doing a little bit of research on my own. I know about the types of varnishes and coatings used during the Renaissance on paintings and such, but I don't think any of them would be really suitable for cards. They were more thick an inflexable. That's why I'm thinking maybe they went without coating, but then they really wouldn't have lasted long- especially not witht he inks of the time. Are any of the tarot cards from the Renaissance or earlier still in existance today? I'm sorry if that was mentioned in one of the links. I forget things easily. But I do remember them mentioning reproductions. Oh, I'm confused

baba-prague

Ankou said:
Baba-Prauge, what kind of work does your friend print? Is it fine art? What kind of finnishing process do they use?

Yes, he's a fine artist and illustrator. He doesn't use any form of finishing. The single colour prints are simply printed from the blocks directly on to paper (we've watched this interesting process several times - a press is used of course.) The coloured pictures are printed then coloured by hand using water-colour. But, as I say, none of the inks and paints will be anything like those used in medieval times.

I think I mentioned the Fournier? If you want to see a modern deck that is made using old techniques it's the obvious one to take a look at. You might also take a look at Russian Lubok prints if you want to see the equivalent of "mass production" using the sort of techniques we've been talking about - Lubok is interesting because it's done crudely and quickly to keep the cost down - visually very effective though and I think has lots in common with early cards produced for sale (rather than made to commission).