In the closet?

Calliope

I'm mostly in the closet about my love for tarot. Only a few people know I read (my family and one or two friends)--or those who happen to actually read the interests section on Facebook.

I don't even know why I don't tell people, fear possibly? I have been interested in the cards since I was 12 or 13 when my mom gave me my first deck but I have never actually "come out" except to a few people in my life (same with my Pagan-ness. I just let Facebook do the talking :laugh:).

Does everyone in your life know about your interest in the tarot? If you have told people, what kinds of reactions have you gotten? If you haven't told people, why?

Siri

I can't talk about it at home, mum doesn't approve. But most of my friends know I do it. Not all of them know how much I do, or how many decks I have or any of that. It worries them and i try to be respectful of that. So most people around me know I do it, just not as many know the extent of what i do.

Golden Moon

My entire family as well as my house hold family knows, my friends also. Even my significant other knows too. Tehy don't find it evil as the bible says, they think of it as something special and art like. They approve of it as long as I do good than bad.

olivia1

Calliope said:
Does everyone in your life know about your interest in the tarot? If you have told people, what kinds of reactions have you gotten? If you haven't told people, why?

I dont tell many people...just those close to me . I dont tell everyone partly because I dont feel like hearing a lecture about how evil tarot reading is. The second reason I dont tell many people: I dont want people to bother me for readings. Tarot is a special hobby I enjoy doing for myself and those who are also into tarot (like on here). If everyone I knew saw me as the "tarot reader" and just asked me to read for them or whatever, it would take away from why I enjoy it so much. That's just me, though!

Sinduction

I can't think of anyone I know that doesn't know about me and tarot. I always get asked to give readings. All the time, "You have your cards with you?"

HA! Like I go anywhere without a deck or three. :D

Lilija

Sinduction said:
I can't think of anyone I know that doesn't know about me and tarot. I always get asked to give readings. All the time, "You have your cards with you?"

HA! Like I go anywhere without a deck or three. :D

Heh, exactly the same here.

I was in the closet for a long time, using Tarot as a personal tool, for self discovery, planning, spell work, chatting with the Universe and all that stuff. It took me a long time to get over my insecurities, and let other people in. I'm not demonstrative, I keep a lot of things to myself, for a number of reasons (not fear of persecution, at least.)

I started small, reading for close family, and now I'll read for anyone, anytime, anywhere.

FatesLady

I'm not sure if my family knows, but my dad is a non-believer and my mom doesn't like that kind of thing. They know I am pagan, and that is enough for them. My brother knows, and I have done readings for him. I will gladly tell any of my friends who ask, and sometimes I get chatty about it when I am excited, so it isn't as if I feel the need for them to ask before I say anything. I have never had a friend who was not okay with it, but then I tend to hang out with pagans and open minded people anyway.

My husband's family probably doesn't know, but there's plenty that those people don't know... No need to give my MIL another reason to pray for me. :D

typhoonikan

Wow very inspiring.

I am in the closet, except to my close friends.- You know, those top 8 on your myspace list. hehe

My family would frown upon it for biblical reasons, I'm sure.

I can tell those friends that are not interested in hearing or talking about it, because I'll mention it or make a joke about it, and they won't keep the conversation going. They move on.

minrice

I was in the closet for the longest time. When I finally came out to my mom she was actually very supportive. While it wasn't her "thing" as she put it she wasn't judgmental and thought my interest in it was great. As for my friends, they know about it and if they don't like it that's fine. They don't have to.

For me I think I finally came out to everyone because Tarot had become not just a hobby or an activity, but a true belief system. It has become such a big part of my life and who I am that to keep it in the closet is really just denying who I am and what I'm about, and really what I love. So I think when it reached that point for me, and especially when I did start my site and I did start reading professionally, it really gave me the courage to stand up and say here I am, my name is Rebecca and I'm a Tarot card reader. Some friends think it's cool, others think I'm secretly a witch ;), others keep their distance, others leave it at that. And it's all good really.

Solty Dog

Most of my freinds in a certain group know about it. Not by my choice. One of my freinds stumbled on one of my decks and wanted a reading. She was constantly coming to the house for a reading, not to hang out or chit chat, just to know what her next step in life should be. Then she started telling everyone in a particular circle what I did and then there was another and another. I would show up at parties and I was constantly being asked to bring my decks. It got real uncomfortable for me so I just had to start refusing to give readings. For a while I just gave it a rest. I am just now getting back into it, a little wiser.