In urgent need of comforting words from fellow addicts

danieljuk

Last year I bought quite an expensive limited edition deck because I wanted it, I also spent way too much money on decks really and decided to really tone it down this year. Plus I have a collection of several decks and I need to use them all and not just ignore them. I felt a bit of guilt about how much I spent on that deck and on tarot/ oracles throughout the year.

However by a turn of events, this year money is much more of a worry for me and I can't spend money on so many decks now and I am so pleased that I did spend then because I can enjoy them!

Tarot purchasing is either about collecting or enjoyment and everyone treats themselves once in a while! I would only try to return it if I thought I had been ripped off or really couldn't afford it or disliked the deck! If you have wanted this deck, then you can now enjoy it! :)

nisaba

DDwarks, I know the feeling. If you find, upon reflection, that you actually no longer want the deck, then see if you can cancel the sale or return it - but if you like the deck and wish to own it, then accept and enjoy your purchase, without shame or regret. Sometimes the regret of canceling a purchase is worse than the regret of purchasing.

Yes, this.

After all, you'd spend that amount on a trolley of groceries that'll soon be gone without trace and will leave you no memories, you'd spend that amount on clothes at the change of the seasons or when you gain or drop weight, you'd spend that amount on petrol in - what - a couple of weeks or a month depending on your local fuel costs? - and again have no memories and nothing to show for it.

If you like the deck and you can afford to keep it by tightening your belt, DO SO. Keep it. Decks are not an ephemeral thing, like alcohol or food or petrol - money spent in decks is an investment in something that potentially will be with you for the rest of your life.

willowy

I think most of us on here have been there.
Best way I find to rationalise it is :how much do you love it?And how often will you use it?if the answer to both is 'lots' then keep it,use it,enjoy it.Money often goes on things we love less and don't even notice till we really think about it.I once did voluteer work once a week at a charity shop and always brought a £1 bottle of cola on the way there,when needing to cut back and budget I worked it out that I was spending £52 (around $75) a year on this!Look at stuff like coffees,taxis,takeaways,it can come up to a huge amount over a year!
Better to spend it on one deck you'll really love in one go than to spend it spread out over the year on 15 decks that are just 'nice'.

VGimlet

I have done worse, and the only time I felt bad was when my husband spent entirely too much on a deck because he knew it was one I really wanted.

I have never told him he could have gotten it for at least 200.00 less than he paid, and I will never tell him, because he loves me, and wanted to make me happy.

But, I do love the deck, and it's one I will never downsize. :D

At least we have a hobby where we have something we can touch and enjoy for years. Unlike other hobbies we have had where the money vanishes and you have nothing to show for it but a tiny teeny little trophy...or a ribbon...lol...

Grizabella

I'm gonna be super careful for a couple of months to rebalance my finances and then I'll impulse buy on Buckland's Romani Tarot and start all over again!

Don't buy the Buckland Romani second edition. The book and deck were very inferior to the first edition. And if you're not an accomplished reader, don't splurge on it at all. Most people can't really read with it once they get it. It was one of my first decks but even so, it still isn't all that snappy for me to read with. I love it and I do read with it on a regular basis, though. But I've been using the cards a considerable number of years.

When it first came out, everyone was all nutso to get a copy but then they started voicing their complaints about how it wasn't easy to read with. Then it went out of print. Of course, once that happens, everybody suddenly wants one and will pay ridiculous prices.

Then enough people clamored for it to be reprinted so it was reprinted, but the card stock wasn't good and the book didn't hang together so it went out of print again.

In general, decks that go out of print and command huge prices aren't the jewel that their being out of print and the high price would suggest. If they stay in print, then chances are it's because they're great to read with. If they go out of print, there's a reason for that and it pays not to fork out huge prices to get whichever one it is.

MissChiff

I recently read somewhere that Glade Press has produced more copies of the Buckland deck..😈

Barleywine

I have a slightly different method of regulation: I just wait until my wife has spent enough on herself to justify splurging on something for myself. She's the prudent one, so it works like a charm! But I generally won't spend more than $30 on any deck.

DDwarks

Tarot purchasing is either about collecting or enjoyment and everyone treats themselves once in a while! I would only try to return it if I thought I had been ripped off or really couldn't afford it or disliked the deck! If you have wanted this deck, then you can now enjoy it!

The deck turned me into a "mission impossible" agent when I saw it on eBay!
I was going to get it and that was that! I've looked at pictures of it for a long time now and you're right... Stuff being responsible and doing the right thing all the time! I enjoy collecting the ones I feel are little treasures. I'll learn to read with it but it'll be mainly for me to look at it and smile!

I recently read somewhere that Glade Press has produced more copies of the Buckland deck..😈

LOL!
I've decided to get myself a "fake" one for now to see how I like it. This one is for collecting purposes only. It's "ethnic" and I like that.
Your username makes a lot of sense MissChiff!

Don't buy the Buckland Romani second edition

In general, decks that go out of print and command huge prices aren't the jewel that their being out of print and the high price would suggest. If they stay in print, then chances are it's because they're great to read with. If they go out of print, there's a reason for that and it pays not to fork out huge prices to get whichever one it is.
I want it as a collector item this particular one and yes, the 1st edition is the one I was going to go for. But not for stupid amount of money no!!
If it's not a deck I can sell on without a loss then I won't do it anymore. Lesson learned!
You can actually get some "fake" ones from Ukraine for very very cheap so perhaps I'll get myself one of those to see how I like it x

At least we have a hobby where we have something we can touch and enjoy for years. Unlike other hobbies we have had where the money vanishes and you have nothing to show for it but a tiny teeny little trophy...or a ribbon...lol...
Now that me LOL proper!!
Why run and jump and sweat and be healthy when one could be sitting on one's bum, hunting for tarot decks on the internet while eating cake?
I don't get it either lol!

Better to spend it on one deck you'll really love in one go than to spend it spread out over the year on 15 decks that are just 'nice'.
Yes, that's been my way of seeing things so far. But the just nice ones are the cheaper ones :( I've made a big long list of the little extras I spend money on and you're right..it does mount up!

If you like the deck and you can afford to keep it by tightening your belt, DO SO. Keep it. Decks are not an ephemeral thing, like alcohol or food or petrol - money spent in decks is an investment in something that potentially will be with you for the rest of your life.

I like that! I like it a lot!
Thank you Nasiba. That deck is not going anywhere any time soon!

However by a turn of events, this year money is much more of a worry for me and I can't spend money on so many decks now and I am so pleased that I did spend then because I can enjoy them!
You've hit on something here. I've nothing to show (for me personally) from the times where everything was great money wise. Nothing! It always been about the needs and wants and pleasures of others. Never me. Maybe that's why I felt so guilty.

I have a slightly different method of regulation: I just wait until my wife has spent enough on herself to justify splurging on something for myself. She's the prudent one, so it works like a charm! But I generally won't spend more than $30 on any deck.

I see. Your method is based on a shifting the guilt onto your wife for your spending spree!
Very cunning I like that!
Unfortunately I'm the prudent one in my household of 1 adult.
The budgeting is good though. I'll set myself a limit money wise and see how it goes!