Intensive Deck Study (IDS) Support Thread ~ Part 3

2_Journey

Okay, so the Llewellyn is messing with me. It is too easy to read. I am forced to use itallics to convey how much this deck is messing with me. I love the images, and I enjoy the major arcana with the mythology, and I even love the minors. But, it is too easy to read. I feel like I am missing something, or that my readings aren't deep enough, or something. I'm not used to this. I'm used to the Four Elements, which delighted me with its simplistic complexity. It always whispered about secrets still hidden beneath the surface.

With the Llewellyn I feel like I don't need to study anything because I already speak its language but with a different accent. I feel as though I am not making myself clear.

Will spending more time with this deck unleash unseen hidden depths? Only time will tell. I still love this deck, and I am enjoying working with it. Is it strange to say that reading with a deck is too easy?

You see? The Llewellyn is messing with me.

Simsy

Simsy's general musings

Hi all

Just been pondering a lot. i am finding readings and learning about the RWS easier because i am using them for readings for other people here on AT. That begs the question though can one really read tarot without learning about tradtional meanings of the cards in the deck? or Is that somewhat open to interpretation by the reader?

I am sure this question has been asked 1000 times before here i am just musing out loud with myself.
I have pondered this a lot over the last 24-48hrs for the simple reason is that i do read the cards intutively meaning i look at the cards and form images and word pictures.

I am doing a lot of 'psychic and spiritual' development on the side as well which could have something to do with it But i am not sure if its the only way if that makes sense.

It took me awhile to get into the RWS deck in the 1st place, but i am finding it easier now to work with cos i am doing practical readings with it via the forums still struggling at times with the tarot in terms of binding a reading together due to the fact my mind can pull and grab a lot of information within the cards at once to the point of sometimes blocking my ablility to pull the information out of them (information overload if you will)

BUT Does the different life experence we bring as human beings to the tarot enrichen or hinder our ablilities to read the cards? I believe that our human experences can enrichen our readings that we do for sometimes people can give a different perspective on the same thing whats interpreted in one way by one person is differently interpereted by another person.

anyway just somethings i've been thinking about lately musings if you will random as always from your friendly neighbourhood simsy :)

rwcarter

So, I'm not getting on with the Fifth Tarot. Between the keywords, the non-scenic Minors and definitions that are geared toward moving to the next level of consciousness, this isn't the deck for me right now. I need a deck I can use for every day situations and questions. So my IDS with the Fifth is officially over.

Knowing what I know now, I'm going to go back and reevaluate both the Templar and Babylonion decks to see if either of them will work for me at this point in my tarot journey. If not, the search will begin anew for an IDS deck....

Rodney

nicky

Simsy said:
Hi all

Just been pondering a lot. i am finding readings and learning about the RWS easier because i am using them for readings for other people here on AT. That begs the question though can one really read tarot without learning about tradtional meanings of the cards in the deck? or Is that somewhat open to interpretation by the reader?

I am sure this question has been asked 1000 times before here i am just musing out loud with myself.
I have pondered this a lot over the last 24-48hrs for the simple reason is that i do read the cards intutively meaning i look at the cards and form images and word pictures.

I am doing a lot of 'psychic and spiritual' development on the side as well which could have something to do with it But i am not sure if its the only way if that makes sense.

It took me awhile to get into the RWS deck in the 1st place, but i am finding it easier now to work with cos i am doing practical readings with it via the forums still struggling at times with the tarot in terms of binding a reading together due to the fact my mind can pull and grab a lot of information within the cards at once to the point of sometimes blocking my ablility to pull the information out of them (information overload if you will)

BUT Does the different life experence we bring as human beings to the tarot enrichen or hinder our ablilities to read the cards? I believe that our human experences can enrichen our readings that we do for sometimes people can give a different perspective on the same thing whats interpreted in one way by one person is differently interpereted by another person.

anyway just somethings i've been thinking about lately musings if you will random as always from your friendly neighbourhood simsy :)

Well it must be working for you... I think having a basis in traditional meanings is vital to my reading the cards... without any template each decks images would mean a different meaning for a card.. that said I think once the basic meanings are understood then intuition and interpretation is the key.
People come to get readings not for us to spew memorized definitions ... we certainly need to use our interpretations...but they should be based on some basic guidelines as to what each card's energy means.

Just my thoughts
Nicky

nicky

rwcarter said:
So, I'm not getting on with the Fifth Tarot. Between the keywords, the non-scenic Minors and definitions that are geared toward moving to the next level of consciousness, this isn't the deck for me right now. I need a deck I can use for every day situations and questions. So my IDS with the Fifth is officially over.

Knowing what I know now, I'm going to go back and reevaluate both the Templar and Babylonion decks to see if either of them will work for me at this point in my tarot journey. If not, the search will begin anew for an IDS deck....

Rodney

Rodney,

The Fifth Tarot people will visiting my tarot group May 31. Maybe I can offer some commiseration after that date :)

Nicky

2_Journey

rwcarter said:

Hi Rodney,

I just came into this forum to say much the same thing. (Well, maybe not exactly the same thing. ;)) I am struggling with the Llewellyn and have been for a couple of weeks. It took me a long time and lots of introspection to put my finger on the problem. While I enjoy the deck images and learning about the mythology somehow my IDS feels shallow. It doesn't seem to be striking me as a "successful" IDS.

My time with the Four Elements was intense, uncoordinated, messy, illuminating, disasterous and a rousing success. The more I work with the Llewellyn the more I find myself being dissatisfied, as if it is somehow shallow in comparison with what came before, a pretty lie rather than the messy truth. It took me a few weeks to reach this point, but I finally figured out what is bothering me. With the Four Elememnts I studied the cards but what I really learned the most about was myself. The Llewellyn seems to be a more card-based rather than self-based study. After that amazing time with the Four Elements, the Llewellyn just feels empty.

So I am going to switch to a different deck. I actually think my time with the Llewellyn was almost as important as my time with the Four Elements because I learned so much about why I read tarot (it ain't about the cards), what type of tarot deck really speaks to me, and what I can expect tarot to do for me.

I'm not sure exactly what deck I'll end up working with. I may switch back to the Four Elements. My admiration for that deck and how it touches my (sub?)consciousness has only increased over the past weeks with the Llewellyn. I know it isn't a popular deck but for me it does good things. But I am also feeling drawn to the Osho Zen and Songs for the Journey Home. I'm looking for a deck with fresh, uplifting imagery that will allow me to play around in my subconscious more.

I think I'm going to play around for a few weeks before settling down. I will e sure to check in here regularly and let you all know as soon as I figure it all out. :)

rwcarter

2_J,

I'll put a placeholder for you, much like I did for myself.

Rodney

thorhammer

rwcarter said:

Rodney
Wow, I come in here for the first time in months and see you're considering taking up with one of my favourite decks - the Babylonian! I can't recommend it highly enough, Rodney :) The Babylonian Universe spread (in the book) alone is enough to base an IDS on. Really brilliant deck.

\m/ Kat

rwcarter

Kat,

And here I thought you were going to come back to us.... :*

I'll have to look that spread up in the book.

Rodney

thorhammer

I'd half-like to, mate :( But I'm really getting a lot out of my current scheme of a week per deck. It's weeding out the weak links in the collection, most notably the Haindl, Whimsical and New Century. It's also threatening to turn me into a TdM lover :bugeyed:

*reaches for Thoth* :D

I do miss the IDS, though :)

\m/ Kat