Intensive Deck Study (IDS) Support Thread ~ Part 3

rwcarter

Spanish Tarot, Oracles it is!

Angie9

Please Add Me!

Hello All - I would like to join the group using my Victorian Romantic Tarot. I'll be doing a daily three card draw for my personal readings plus a daily one card study that I'll be journaling. I'll study this deck exclusively for at least three months and leave all my other decks put away during this period.

I look forward to getting to know you all.

Angie

rwcarter

Welcome aboard Angie9! I've added you to the Master List.

Simsy

question.. a ponderment if you will

Is it at all possible to read tarot intuitively without knowing traditional meanings?

I am still grappling with this question for two reasons:

a) i read the tarot intuitively without the use of traditional meanings

and

b) I don't know the tradtional meanings all that well to be honest, cos i read them intutively I didnt take the time to learn them fully, If thats at all possible

I feel it is possible, you read what is in there in the cards. read the colors
the visual and non-visual imagery.

Get a feel for what a card means to you and you try to interpret the meanings as it pertains to the question that is asked by the person asking, you get gut feelings on things.

what do you guys think? am i doing this wrong ?

Simsy

vanity

I'm definitely interested in joining the group using my Paulina tarot (by Paulina Cassidy). I will try to draw at least one card every morning (and journal/blog it, as well as my other readings), do at least one reading a week, and be studying this deck exclusively until August 1, 2009 to see how well I can stick to this regime.

Hope all of you are doing well,
Vanity

p.s. @Sim- I don't think you are doing anything wrong. If you're getting the answers that prove true, should it matter how you do anything concerning your tarot deck? As long as it's giving you the new perspectives and outlooks for you to think on, does it matter any more or less?

rwcarter

vanity,

Welcome aboard!

Simsy

me being self conscious

p.s. @Sim- I don't think you are doing anything wrong. If you're getting the answers that prove true, should it matter how you do anything concerning your tarot deck? As long as it's giving you the new perspectives and outlooks for you to think on, does it matter any more or less?

Hi vanity

At times i do feel like that but then i realise this is the the way i read them, this is the way i work with them.

Like you said should it matter how we read tarot with our own decks? not really, but i do sometimes wonder if my reading them intuitively to someone who reads tradtional meanings into them will confuse them a bit if i dont explain i get the intuitive messages from them...

I also pick up a lot on the color aspects of both visual and non-visual aspects of the cards, as i work a lot with colors of the chakra system and color threapy (not trained in it per say just have an interest in color threapy due to me being an amater abstract artist)
type modalities in my general readings with the tarot, which can sometime puzzle people but i guess your right in a way vanity.

i am just being very self conscious about it all really, maybe i should just tell people i read them intuitively that way there wont be any confusion Lol :D

sorry for the length of the reply just have had to get this off my old grey matter thats all.

Simsy

rwcarter

Simsy said:
Is it at all possible to read tarot intuitively without knowing traditional meanings?

[snip]

what do you guys think? am i doing this wrong ?

Simsy
Simsy,

I'll say it for the umpteenth time - There's no right or wrong way to read tarot cards. If your system, whatever it may be, works for you, then it's "right." I would only say it was "wrong" if you said, "Oh I read the cards in such-and-such a way and my interpretations are always wrong!"

To get to the meat of your question, the 3 Cups has the meaning it has because someone else (possibly a group of someone elses) decided that meaning was appropriate for the 3 Cups and not for the Hierophant. Why is their particular meaning any more relevant than your meaning? It's not. It's probably more relevant to tarot readers as a whole, but it doesn't have to be relevant to any particular tarot reader.

Through using your deck over time, it will become accustomed to you and the way you read. If you intuitively believe the 3 Cups means good or bad news comes in threes, then your deck will show you a different card when it wants you to get the message that most people get when they see the 3 Cups.

HTH,
Rodney

Angie9

Simsy - I am envious because I think my intuitive judgement is clouded because I did learn the traditional meanings first. If a newbie were to ask my advice on the matter I would suggest going through the deck and writing down all the intuitive meanings before ever opening that LWB.

Angie

Simsy

Angie9 said:
Simsy - I am envious because I think my intuitive judgement is clouded because I did learn the traditional meanings first. If a newbie were to ask my advice on the matter I would suggest going through the deck and writing down all the intuitive meanings before ever opening that LWB.

Angie

Hi angie

To be honest i started off learning them intuitively exclusively cos i am a visual person and as a result i tend to pick up on things more so than with tradtional meanings.

I also work a lot with colors and there meanings in all my work with the cards ( both oracle and tarot) as a result its forced me to work with my intuitive side more to pick up on all the visual and non-visual cues to help me with the readings and to help the person asking the question and believe me for me it makes it much easier.

At 1st it was hard for me to pick up on the cues but once someone showed me how to go about its been a very very good way of not only learning about the cards but how to read them as well.

Simsy