La Lune (the Moon) - how may it be read?

Moongold

Ah.......thank you terri.

Have you seen the picture of the Fournier? There is quite a difference. The Dodal is a much lighter image. :)

tmgrl2

Moongold said:
Ah.......thank you terri.

Have you seen the picture of the Fournier? There is quite a difference. The Dodal is a much lighter image. :)

Yes I have...but can't remember it...maybe someone can post one for us to look at...it really helps, doesn't it?

Thank you for your scans, as well, Moongold!

Both the Dodal and Noblet (these are from letarot.com)
are quite light and bright.

I have a Dusserre Dodal coming soon...

terri

Moongold

tmgrl2 said:
Yes I have...but can't remember it...maybe someone can post one for us to look at...it really helps, doesn't it?

Thank you for your scans, as well, Moongold!

Both the Dodal and Noblet (these are from letarot.com)
are quite light and bright.

I have a Dusserre Dodal coming soon...

terri
I did post it terri! It is the middle card.

Parzival

tmgrl2 said:
Moongold...I am posting the

In the sequence Star, Moon, Sun...certainly the dark side of La Lune...can and does indicate the darker qualities we have discussed...and perhaps a sequence of these three cards being a mini Birth, Death, Resurrection...

This is insightful to me. Personally, I meditate with consecutive trios of cards as well as with singular cards. This trio of Star, Moon, Sun is an amazing " triple conjunction" that almost seems to say," Find my meaning in my sequential combination ; Star or Moon or Sun is an incomplete fragment of the Whole." Obviously, we need to ponder separate cards,too. But to me there is a flow of Inspiration, Gestation, and Incarnation to these three Images together'd, possibly a "bardo" or a mysterious interim phase to the Moon, between Heaven and Earth.

kwaw

There is to me much that reflects both dark and light aspects of the Moon in the Marseille Luna. Firstly, if as I believe this image does reflect the appearance of an eclipse [which as an image is perhaps more apparent in some decks than others], then we have in one image a symbol of both night and day; an aspect also reflected in their being a dark and a light dog, the moon hounds thus reflecting the fact that the Moon appears both during the night and during the day. The towers too can be seen as symbols of east and west which combines with what has already said in previous posts as to how we may see in this card the transience of temporal time, and thus not only of the transience of our sufferings but our joys also: as it is said, "This too will pass". So the Moon has 'swallowed' the Sun but it will emerge again 'reborn' from the other side of the moon in its passing. But not only do we have the rebirth of the Sun, a solar eclipse can only occur during the three day period of the dark of the Moon, from whence the crone re-emerges as the maiden. So both Sun and Moon reflect the concept of rebirth and renewal. In the heavenly moon, the moon hounds of terra firma and the moon water creature we may also have a reference to the triple aspect of the moon having rule over the celestial world, the terrestrial and the underworld [artemis/diana; demeter and proserpine/hecate?].

Yes the card speaks of grief, of sorrows and lamentation; but that does not mean our vision should be limited by the confines of our temporal existence. The card to me reminds us of the continuity, the cycle of life; that death is not the opposite of life. For life, being eternal, is singular not dual and thus has no opposite. Yes there are sorrows and grief, but when you look down into the grave don't let your gaze remain fixated there as a profane worshipper of death, look up unto the vast eternity of heaven and remember, this too will pass.

Kwaw

Sophie

Frank Hall said:
Personally, I meditate with consecutive trios of cards as well as with singular cards. This trio of Star, Moon, Sun is an amazing " triple conjunction" that almost seems to say," Find my meaning in my sequential combination.

Oh yes!
I have to think more about those three together.

Maybe after we've finished looking at individual cards (well, at some point when all individual cards have been posted and the threads have kicked off) we can start threads on duos or trios - meditative and discursive, perhaps? Or not particular format- just combinations, that we are asked to reflect on.
(encouraging nod at jmd)

Sophie

Moongold

Helvetica said:
Oh yes!
I have to think more about those three together.

Maybe after we've finished looking at individual cards (well, at some point when all individual cards have been posted and the threads have kicked off) we can start threads on duos or trios - meditative and discursive, perhaps? Or not particular format- just combinations, that we are asked to reflect on.
(encouraging nod at jmd)

Sophie
I would love this. Whilst you need to know the iconology if each image, it is quite difficult to say how you would read each one alone, knowing the interplay wch always happen s between the cards in a reading. Nothing happens in isolation.

tmgrl2

Frank Hall said:
tmgrl2 said:
Moongold...I am posting the

In the sequence Star, Moon, Sun...certainly the dark side of La Lune...can and does indicate the darker qualities we have discussed...and perhaps a sequence of these three cards being a mini Birth, Death, Resurrection...

This is insightful to me. Personally, I meditate with consecutive trios of cards as well as with singular cards. This trio of Star, Moon, Sun is an amazing " triple conjunction" that almost seems to say," Find my meaning in my sequential combination ; Star or Moon or Sun is an incomplete fragment of the Whole." Obviously, we need to ponder separate cards,too. But to me there is a flow of Inspiration, Gestation, and Incarnation to these three Images together'd, possibly a "bardo" or a mysterious interim phase to the Moon, between Heaven and Earth.

Oh, I love the idea of there being a "bardo".....Frank.

I, too, think of sequences...they come forward for me as I read for someone as well. So sometimes when I see Judgment, e.g., I reflect on a mini-sequence.

I also like the idea of Inspiration, Gestation, Incarnation...that fits even more "flowingly" (is there such a word?) with the sequence for me.

terri

Moongold

There is to me much that reflects both dark and light aspects of the Moon in the Marseille Luna. Firstly, if as I believe this image does reflect the appearance of an eclipse [which as an image is perhaps more apparent in some decks than others], then we have in one image a symbol of both night and day; an aspect also reflected in their being a dark and a light dog, the moon hounds thus reflecting the fact that the Moon appears both during the night and during the day. The towers too can be seen as symbols of east and west which combines with what has already said in previous posts as to how we may see in this card the transience of temporal time, and thus not only of the transience of our sufferings but our joys also: as it is said, "This too will pass". So the Moon has 'swallowed' the Sun but it will emerge again 'reborn' from the other side of the moon in its passing. But not only do we have the rebirth of the Sun, a solar eclipse can only occur during the three day period of the dark of the Moon, from whence the crone re-emerges as the maiden. So both Sun and Moon reflect the concept of rebirth and renewal. In the heavenly moon, the moon hounds of terra firma and the moon water creature we may also have a reference to the triple aspect of the moon having rule over the celestial world, the terrestrial and the underworld [artemis/diana; demeter and proserpine/hecate?].

Yes the card speaks of grief, of sorrows and lamentation; but that does not mean our vision should be limited by the confines of our temporal existence. The card to me reminds us of the continuity, the cycle of life; that death is not the opposite of life. For life, being eternal, is singular not dual and thus has no opposite. Yes there are sorrows and grief, but when you look down into the grave don't let your gaze remain fixated there as a profane worshipper of death, look up unto the vast eternity of heaven and remember, this too will pass.

Greetings Kwaw ~

Thank you for the beautiful post. You and Frank Hall are close to understanding and acknowledging what I was trying to say. The Fournier La Lune is much more dark and forbidding than its parallel in other Marseille versions. It is really quite a severe card. The other Marseille Moons are almost jocose alongside it. I like the coloring of the Fournier generally and think it makes the deck much more real and dynamic generally but it does not work in this case.

Even so the symbolism of La Lune in the Marseille does not represent what I see to be the more positive aspects of Moon. Instead it reflects the more common view of “darkness before light” and “lunacy and the unknown”. Ok….. if this is what most people feel then it is appropriate to represent it as archetypal or whatever the appropriate word is. On a personal level I don’t identify with that. Other cultures don’t represent the moon like this so I know I am not alone. It is a problem of coherency for me in terms of the whole Marseille deck but I can manage that, and find it quite interesting in fact. Nothing is perfect.

I do know that dark nights of the soul occur; that illusion, deception and madness occur in the spiritual and material sense and that we need to represent this with something. That the designers of the Marseille chose Moon for this is very significant fact which requires thoughtful consideration but it does not stop me from using the deck.

In fact I am pondering how I would prefer to see that represented if not through Moon. That in itself is an interesting challenge :).