La Lune (the Moon) - how may it be read?

Sophie

Moongold said:
Even so the symbolism of La Lune in the Marseille does not represent what I see to be the more positive aspects of Moon. Instead it reflects the more common view of “darkness before light” and “lunacy and the unknown”. Ok….. if this is what most people feel then it is appropriate to represent it as archetypal or whatever the appropriate word is. On a personal level I don’t identify with that. Other cultures don’t represent the moon like this so I know I am not alone. It is a problem of coherency for me in terms of the whole Marseille deck but I can manage that, and find it quite interesting in fact. Nothing is perfect.

That is only the way you see it, Moongold- not everyone and certainly not me. I read Kwaw's post differently: he sees La Lune as an eclipse (on some cards it can be imagined that way) - that is, the moon in the daytime, a veiling of the light of day which can represent, in ancient cosmology (not only European - far wider and older!) an omen, but also a break in habits of normal perception which will lead to a breakthrough. How do Aborigines view eclipses? I know many cultures do not view them very positively, though they can carry a positive message.

I was fortunate enough to witness the June 2001 eclipse in Southern Africa. I was driving through the bush in North-Western Zambia. It spread across the plain a midnight blue glow, much like the colour of your Fournier. Dark waves, like those on a painted lake, covered the grass. It wasn't frightening: it was beautiful, eerie, unsettling and surprising: and so still I felt time had stopped to look as well. On those Marseille cards where the eclispe is clearly seen then that too is a message: that eclipses are a beautiful passage of stillness - they will feel unsettling but also exciting and moving.

But there are other ways of seeing XVIII-La Lune, when we do not see an eclipse, but a moonlit night.

Every card in the Marseille (and every other tarot for that matter) has a dark side, and a light. That's why, in my opinion, it is unecessary to read reversals, though it might help. La Lune is no exception. For every "dark night of the soul" there is also - the beauty of imagination released from its social bonds. For every lunacy, there is the gentle lunar madness of poetry and falling in love. For every dip in the pond of the dark subconscious, there is the rising of the unconsicous full of dreams and enchantments.

That's what I see in this card. You see something else, but you can't just generalise about the card from your own, negative, perception of it.

Moongold

Helvetica said:
That is only the way you see it, Moongold- not everyone and certainly not me. I read Kwaw's post differently: he sees La Lune as an eclipse (on some cards it can be imagined that way) - that is, the moon in the daytime, a veiling of the light of day which can represent, in ancient cosmology (not only European - far wider and older!) an omen, but also a break in habits of normal perception which will lead to a breakthrough. How do Aborigines view eclipses? I know many cultures do not view them very positively, though they can carry a positive message.

Greetings Helvetica ~

I think you misunderstand me. I am referring to the general perception of "Moon" as representing those qualities Kwaw stated and I quoted as being quite characteristic of a general view often referred to in Tarot and very often in astrology. There are many views as well. This is consistent with my earlier comments. I was not referring to the whole of his post.

Don't forget that we are looking at this card alone, not in a sequence with others, and everyone interprets according to the iconology and their own projections. I am not aiming to argue about these things. How can you argue with another's beliefs or perceptions? I am not arguing with Kwaw at all. In fact his way of stating his own views without disparaging mine was much appreciated.

I have based my own interpretation on the iconology and my impressions from the card. Have a look at the Fournier, Sophie, and you will see how different it is from the Dodal. I'd like to make the observation that we all project and that has also occurred in a substantial way in these discussions. Even when I look at the much more benign Dodal I feel that people are putting their own overlay of positivity and wishful thinking on La Lune. However, that is what they see it is their prerogative to do that. My comments were broad, not aimed at individuals.

I am interested in the idea of projections and overlay. Irene Gad's Tarot and Individuation is one of the best tarot books I have. It's a comprehensive reference to the Marseille. Gad describes different schools of interpretation, including alchemical, qabbalistic, astrological and Jungian. So there are very many different ways of seeing things. That merely shows the Tarot being used as dynamic tool in the present time which is highly appropriate.

Helvetica said:
I was fortunate enough to witness the June 2001 eclipse in Southern Africa. I was driving through the bush in North-Western Zambia. It spread across the plain a midnight blue glow, much like the colour of your Fournier. Dark waves, like those on a painted lake, covered the grass. It wasn't frightening: it was beautiful, eerie, unsettling and surprising: and so still I felt time had stopped to look as well. On those Marseille cards where the eclispe is clearly seen then that too is a message: that eclipses are a beautiful passage of stillness - they will feel unsettling but also exciting and moving.

But there are other ways of seeing XVIII-La Lune, when we do not see an eclipse, but a moonlit night.
Kwaw introduced some new material to me. I had not seen the eclipse idea and have not read this anywhere else. It is a valid perception. I know eclipses were often seen as poor omens and this would only add to the ambience of ill omen surrounding La Lune and which I've already stated that I don't feel comfortable about on a personal level.

I have also seen some lunar eclipses and found them magical because they occurred in the 20th century and I knew what was happening! It might well have been a different story 2000 years ago.

The Australian aborigines had many different tribal groups and mythology varied significantly from group to group. I read something which I can no longer reference which said that some tribes regarded lunar eclipses as being of ill omen but simply part of nature - something to be simply accepted.

Helvetica said:
] Every card in the Marseille (and every other tarot for that matter) has a dark side, and a light. That's why, in my opinion, it is unecessary to read reversals, though it might help. La Lune is no exception. For every "dark night of the soul" there is also - the beauty of imagination released from its social bonds. For every lunacy, there is the gentle lunar madness of poetry and falling in love. For every dip in the pond of the dark subconscious, there is the rising of the unconsicous full of dreams and enchantments.
Yes. I see that. I took the original question as looking at the image from the point of view of its iconology. You are the first to explicitly give a rationale for your positive perceptions. Your rationale is partly "reversals" but more than that, You explicitly suggest seeing also the "shadow" of the image. In this case the shadow is the more positive side.

Bless you, dear Helvetica! You have given me a way of living with this image. I have heard it stated in these forums that reversals in the Marseille were generally not acceptable. And I struggle a bit with seeing what apears to be the diametric opposite to the apparent image in a reading but give me some time to think about it. It's even a little bit like seeing the RWS III Swords as healing heart surgery rather than experiencing heart pain.......perhaps a little harder.

Helvetica said:
That's what I see in this card. You see something else, but you can't just generalise about the card from your own, negative, perception of it.
Hey! I was asked how I would read the card. At least, I took JMD to be asking that rather than asking me to give a collective opinion :D. So I have responded to that question as an individual. And also openly and with growing curiosity. I haven't pointed the finger at anyone or suggested that others need to feel as I do :).

I think in fact that the discussion right throughout this thread has been wonderful - educational, thought provoking and respectful. We have provided space for new information, risky ideas, poetry and sentiment without having a barney. :D

Blessings ~

Diana

This post has nothing to do with the discussion taking place in the last few posts.

Perhaps someone has even mentioned the following in one of the posts in this thread, and if it has, I am sorry for repetition.

"XVIII La Lune: How may it be read?"

What I like when I draw the Moon card is the Sun. Because no-one can look at the Sun and not go blind. But when I look at its reflection in the Moon, the eyes of my soul and spirit can remain open and I need not lower my gaze.

The two dogs/wolves. AmounrA once told me about those wolves when I mentioned how they frightened me on this card. He told me that they will guard me... but I must acquaint myself first with them. (God, I miss AmounrA so much.)

They make me think of Le Petit Prince and the Desert Fox.

Moongold: For me personally, this is the most scariest of all the Tarot cards. Usually when I draw it, my heart sinks... That crayfish/lobster in the murky waters bothers me terribly.

Sophie

Moongold said:
Hey! I was asked how I would read the card. At least, I took JMD to be asking that rather than asking me to give a collective opinion :D. So I have responded to that question as an individual. And also openly and with growing curiosity. I haven't pointed the finger at anyone or suggested that others need to feel as I do :).

[..]We have provided space for new information, risky ideas, poetry and sentiment without having a barney. :D [/i]

Good morning, Moongold!

I understand your discomfort with this card. Those aspects of La Lune you you speak of are uncomfortable and I also have trouble with them, which is one reason why I look at both sides of the the card - see the bright and the shadow side. But also, that I accept there are some moments of discomfort and illusion in life, and the dark side of the Moon is a workable symbol for them - for me. I think the image supports both very different interpretations: after all, it's not supposed to be logical ;)

I never thought you were pointing the finger - I was pointing the finger at what appeared to be a blanket statement of fact (on European perception of the moon, or on this card as a representation of it, and on the meaning of this card), rather than a statement of your own opinion - which, of course, I entirely respect. This damned medium - bless it - doesn't allow for modulation of voice and body language to underline fact or opinion!

If I've given you a way of living with this card, then good! And I in turn have been made to look more closely at the shadow side, which is one thing I try, as a good Pisces, to avoid rather skillfully for fear of wallowing in it. Enchantments, like eclipses, I am quite comfortable with :).

I see your point about eclipses and the 21st century. Actually, funnily enough, seeing the eclipse in Zambia in the middle of the bush had a feeling of very very long ago about it - almost pre-historic, but not quite, which added to its strangeness. There was not a village in sight, only a vast brush and grass plain. Two other vehicles, a truck and a minibus, stopped by the road, half its passengers huddled inside refusing to come out, the other half stepped outside, gazing about in wonder.

Goodnight to you - and happy Moon :)

Moongold

Diana said:
Moongold: For me personally, this is the most scariest of all the Tarot cards. Usually when I draw it, my heart sinks... That crayfish/lobster in the murky waters bothers me terribly.
Diana –thanks for your comments.

You’ve probably read Kwaw’s remarks about the crayfish but here are some more from Irene Gad. She calls the crayfish “Crab”.

• • Crab is the symbol for Cancer in the Zodiac because it is the time of the year when the days shorten – the Sun retreats and we see the Moon for longer periods.
    • It signifies resurrection because it sheds its shell – the shell of the past.
    • It signifies vulnerability because it hides within its shell.
    • It signifies defensiveness, caution, foresight and intuition.
    • Crab can stand for both Sun or Moon depending on whether it moves forward or backward
    • Like the Egyptian scarab beetle, Crab can signify purification and renewal. Crab keeps the water pure by eating rotting matter. Thus it symbolizes the search for purifying consciousness. The scarab beetle is sacred in Egyptian mythology for this reason too – it toils untiringly in dung so that it can nurture it’s young. Isn’t that interesting? Scarabs are the symbol for Sun in Egyptian mythology, and crabs are associated with Moon in ours.

So the Crayfish like much else in the Moon is full of ambivalence. It is a very potent symbol. Perhaps the message of La Lune is that everything may not be as it seems. That horror and fear may not be what they seem. The very things I fear the most will not evoke fear if I can face them, hold them.

Moongold

Helvetica said:
If I've given you a way of living with this card, then good! And I in turn have been made to look more closely at the shadow side, which is one thing I try, as a good Pisces, to avoid rather skillfully for fear of wallowing in it. Enchantments, like eclipses, I am quite comfortable with :).
Ah ~ you are a Pisces Sun and I am a Pisces Moon. I have been avoiding the watery seas of the unconscious for a while as well but just set on them again recently like the Owl and the Pussycat in a beautiful Peagreen Boat. So far I've stayed afloat guided by the light of the Golden Moon, my life long protectress :).
Helevtica said:
Goodnight to you - and happy Moon :)

Good night to you as well. This has been the most wonderful thread. The Moon at present is on my side of the world. I will think of you all when I go downstairs to look at her in a few minutes :).

Pocono Platypus

the image of the crayfish-lobster-crab

Most crustaceans can't swim, but clutter about on the floor of the ocean or lake. Even so depicted on the Moon card, they are on land, out of their element, but reaching up to the Moon, as if they yearned to go higher -- to be able fly up, or at least swim.

"Beautiful Swimmers" is the name of a book about the crabs in Chesapeake Bay and the fishing folk who harvest them. These are the only crabs that can swim (that I know of).

kwaw

I keep an aquarium, and though it is about 14 years since I last had any I have kept crayfish in the past, never more than one at a time as they are territorial and cannibalistic. One has to be careful of removing any leftover food after they have eaten as they hoard food [and thus may be said to symbolise foresight, prudence] which can pollute the tank. In respect of hoarding there is a hoarding behaviour pattern among some people, usually older adults living alone but not always, that has been given the name diogenes syndrome, though I think this is related to the philosopher, not the hoarding habits of the crayfish. I think the crayfish quite fascinating, and they can have quite beautiful colours, and once settled will feed from the hand [though they tend to move around mostly by a slow walk, they can swim backwards quite fast if startled].

Anyway, besides the possible reference to the hermit philosopher diogenes in the choice of crayfish, there is much else it may be said to symbolise as has been stated in the discussion of the crab. Though not a crab they are both crustaceans and come under the rulership of the moon, and much of what the one symbolises applies to the other.

One aspect I don't think has yet been mentioned, but which I feel reiterates the concept of renewal and rebirth as symbolised in some of the other imagery, is that a crayfishes leg will grow back if it lost through injury, thus too may symbolise regeneration; also as it grows it periodically sheds [molts] its outgrown shell [upto around 15 times in two years, 'out with the old, in with the new']. More than once I thought my crayfish had died only to realize it was the molted shell I wa looking at. After molting it is left with a very soft shell that leaves it very vulneralbe for the three days it takes for it too harden sufficiently to offer it protection, a time period recalling the three days of the dark of the moon.

Kwaw

Pocono Platypus

Moon -- crab

The sun sign of this Platypus is Cancer