New LS deck by Lucia Mattioli

Chiriku

Cerulean said:
I wonder if it has to be called fairy--would words such as gossamar, illusions, two-in-one (two pictures in one scene) tarot in the title might set it apart? Cerulean

Agreed. It would draw in people like me who are not really interested in fairies, elves, etc. but who would value the artwork.

"Gossamer" especially is an expressive and little-used word for a tarot deck. ("Illusions" seems a bit more standard).

ETA: although there are probably far more people drawn to fairies than there are not, so, never mind; scratch our ideas! :lol: LS has to make its moolah, after all.

Le Fanu

Fairies or no fairies, this deck is fantastic (from what I have seen).

I really love all the artwork I have seen so far. Top notch artwork, really. I don't quite know what else to say except that I want to know the release date!

I love the Secret Forest, don't read with it much (but I do occassionally). Love that murky world of brambles and marsh mists and something sinister behind the garden gate...

Chiriku

That's one of the most evocatively-rendered Judgments I've seen.

Usually the people look like they're either hollow-eyed zombies heeding the trumpet, or praise-worshipers hailing the sky.

Here, there is a palpable sense of terror and dread on the faces of the human figures. One looks like his soul is about to be sucked out, a la J.K. Rowling's dementors.

Of course, not every deck creator WANTS Judgment to depict dread. But if they wanted to, this is the way to do it, IMO.

Golden Moon

Please don't let it have 6 thousand language borders :(.

Golden Moon

The art reminds me of The Paulina Tarot. Is there a specific resale date for this deck?

Greg Stanton

Golden Moon said:
Please don't let it have 6 thousand language borders :(.
I love the art, but those stock LS borders would be a deal-breaker for me.

Tarot is ancient, mysterious, beautiful. Like music, its language is universal. Heavy borders (like the cards are being circled, just to make sure you know they are there), and titles in multiple languages (because as a tarot-reader you're apparently too stupid to know what each card represents) are distracting and insulting. I really wish LS would stop editorializing the artwork and just let it speak for itself — as the art for this deck so obviously does.

Golden Moon

Greg Stanton said:
I love the art, but those stock LS borders would be a deal-breaker for me.

Tarot is ancient, mysterious, beautiful. Like music, its language is universal. Heavy borders (like the cards are being circled, just to make sure you know they are there), and titles in multiple languages (because as a tarot-reader you're apparently too stupid to know what each card represents) are distracting and insulting. I really wish LS would stop editorializing the artwork and just let it speak for itself — as the art for this deck so obviously does.

You have a very good point. I like for them to have boarders to let me know what the cards are. (if you compare The Mona Lisa Tarot with the Rider Waite Tarot, way different). But having to many languages is to much. if it has 2 it's ok, but 6? Then you look at the art, and it's not visible. It's like a pizza having 6 inches of crust and very little pizza. But I believe that the reason LS adds 6 languages is for marketing since their decks are distributed all over Europe, pulse North & South America. Being that North American is English (US and Canada), Spanish (US and Mexico), & French (Canada). as for South American it's Spanish. Ironically, there is not Portuguese titles for Brazil.

Greg Stanton

Thin, light borders are fine — but the dark green borders on Tarot of the Master, or the black borders on the Bosch, for example, completely overwhelm the art.

I don't mind titles — in the language of the deck's creator ONLY. But when the artist calls II "La Papessa", and someone else at Lo Scarabeo calls the same card "The High Priestess", we have a problem. They do not mean the same thing, and the terms come from two very different traditions. People in Europe speak many languages, and I can figure out what's what in a deck of tarot cards. I'm not an idiot and don't like people to assume that I am. The multi-lingual borders are why I no longer buy LS or Lewellyn decks, and why I've given away most of what I did purchase. They're ugly, inaccurate and insulting, and they do a horrible disservice to the artists who created the decks.

I think LS may be getting the message, as several of their recent decks have done away with this nonsense. I still have two that have these borders: Golden Tarot of the Renaissance and the Bosch, but of all my decks I would part with these first. Not because I don't love the art (I do!). I just can't tolerate the LS polygot convention.

Golden Moon

Greg Stanton said:
Thin, light borders are fine — but the dark green borders on Tarot of the Master, or the black borders on the Bosch, for example, completely overwhelm the art.

I don't mind titles — in the language of the deck's creator ONLY. But when the artist calls II "La Papessa", and someone else at Lo Scarabeo calls the same card "The High Priestess", we have a problem. They do not mean the same thing, and the terms come from two very different traditions. People in Europe speak many languages, and I can figure out what's what in a deck of tarot cards. I'm not an idiot and don't like people to assume that I am. The multi-lingual borders are why I no longer buy LS or Lewellyn decks, and why I've given away most of what I did purchase. They're ugly, inaccurate and insulting, and they do a horrible disservice to the artists who created the decks.

I think LS may be getting the message, as several of their recent decks have done away with this nonsense. I still have two that have these borders: Golden Tarot of the Renaissance and the Bosch, but of all my decks I would part with these first. Not because I don't love the art (I do!). I just can't tolerate the LS polygot convention.

I, myself, being fluent in Spanish I've know that the High Priestess can be said in different ways in Spanish such as, "La sacerdotisa or "La alta sacerdotisa" but it's really translated into "La suma sacerdotisa". Lately I've been collecting LS decks that have no boarders... I have a total of 7 of them with borders. Luckily the ones I pic don't inturupt the art.

firemaiden

Oh, this artwork is so poetic and lyrical, I love the billowy shadowy washes of colour. So different from the sugary-theme-goo that seems to have taken over the tarot market. I haven't seen much of anything for years now that tempted me, but this art-work makes me drool. Imagine all those pictures in one box ! But would I be able to read with it ? If certain people.... (say who ! say who!) can read with raindrops, and old bones, why wouldn't I be able to read with 78 (or will it be 156 ?) amazing pictures in a box ? [there better be a box]