New to Tarot - Scared that it is anti Christian?

Kylie_Girl

I had to give up work many years ago due to my disability and some mental health problems. Since then i have never felt like i truely had a place in society, not part of the "rat Race" made me feel inadequate as an adult, a woman and a wife. No matter what i tried to fill my life with it just dd not quite hit the spot.

I discovered Lisa Williams, a UK born medium psychic and clairvoyant living in the USA. I watched her shows and started reading her book. Before i knew it a whole new world had been opened up to me. As a result, i am near to finishing an online angel therapy course, im about to start learning reiki and tarot, i collect angel cards and i want to become an animal healer. This i know. Now i have a path. I have a direction and the purpose i have been searching for.

Went to a lovely shop i have known about for a while called Maickal Treasures in at town about 2o miles away. Its got some beautiful things, angels, fairies, gothic stuff, just stunning. I bought some beautiful cards and some pendants, an angel book and my first tarot deck! Ive ben really nervous about tarot but have always felt drawn to it, i love my angel cards but was not particularly feeling a mesage from them. The lady in the shop as so kind and talked to me for ages, giving me advice, information and reassurance. i felt so happy i got really emotional. I have never done this before so feel nervous but that it is something that i need to do.

BUT........
Someone sent me this and i am so confused :-(

I do believe your a spiritual person, however, you do realize that Tarot cards are demonic in nature? You will be consorting with demons.
I know, no one wants to believe that. I've had considerable experience with this and yes, it is like opening a window to the shadow world, oh they tell you all you need to know. Then bit by bit, they start making you think another way, giving you lies and distortions. All that you have built up in good, crumbles. I nearly lost everything as I believed them. Im sure it was true, but I didnt need to know...all was well without it.

I hope I have not offended you, but I just needed to forwarn you, you are playing wth fire and I already know the end. Once you bring into your home, all sorts of shadows follow. It is dangerous. Nothing good comes from it. Especially if you are a child of the light, a child of God.

Can you pleeeeeeeeease help to put my mind at rest? Have read some threads and am feeling better but your input would be so appreciated.

Ty for having me

Kylie_Girl xxxx

Alta

Hi Kylie_Girl,

The only person consorting with demons is the person who wrote that. Can't you feel the malice and evil coming from those words?

You will never be able to finish anything or find your light if you let every crabbed person who dwells in the dark pull you in with them.

:heart:

Alta

sparkles

Hi Kylie_girl

It seems to be something i've heard a lot that people who, without realising it, are senstive to, shall we say the more subtle forces that move in this world, often have all sorts of problems because they feel out of step with the world around them or just don't fit. Now you've found (probably guided) to a path that makes sense to you and makes you feel complete. Reikki, the desire to work healing animals, both very noble pursuits. I truly believe the healing vibration though subtle is the most powerful and that healers who are working from a place of compassion will always have the most wonderful and incredible protection around them. Tarot cards are, for me anyway, a means of tapping into inner insight in situations and have no more to do with demons than the cup of tea i'm drinking. The person who wrote to you may well have run into trouble but i suspect it was more to do with an instability in their personality at the time that they themselves manifested through the cards, not the other way round. I think you are embarking on an incredible journey but one of the most important lessons to learn is to get to truly know yourself and trust your own judgement. You know you are doing nothing wrong and certainly not looking to consort with demons so have faith in yourself and when someone else approaches you in such a way just send out a though or a prayer that they get the healing and guidance they need.

sparkles x

scribbler

I am a Christian and also new to the Tarot. I find it valuable as a psychological tool, a means of looking at situations from another perspective. There's nothing Satanic about using symbolism to construct a new narrative about a situation in one's life. Or using a "daily draw" as a lens through which to look at the day's events a bit differently. Viewed this way, I believe it is safe and workable within both a Christian and a broadly scientific worldview.

That said, I would tread carefully with the more esoteric practices you describe. You may be making yourself open to deceit from charlatans or, at worst, expose yourself to something that is truly spiritually damaging. The choice is yours, of course, and I think a little common sense goes a long way.

I'm working from the assumption that you are a Christian. Is it possible that there is something missing from your spiritual practice that is causing you to seek stimulation elsewhere? There are a wide variety of meditative practices available within the Christian tradition.

Just a few thoughts. (And I mean no disrespect to people posting here from other religious traditions or none.)

schmedrake

I feel that the tarot communicates with your higher self and the higher selves of the people you read. Any demons you come across are showing themselves to you to be healed. And by "demons" I mean shadow sides of the person being read. We all have them... dark thoughts, depression, addictions, etc. These are the things we come here to rise above in life and any insight tarot can give is healing.

Your friend may feel differently. Other people may feel differently. But you're an adult and you need to ask yourself how *you* feel. You're not pursuing this hobby for them, you're pursuing it for yourself. And you need to know where *you* stand on all of this. Which is why this letter came to you in the first place... to get you to decide for yourself. Face it, you need to know where you stand and be strong in that stance if you're ever going to do stuff along this line professionally. If you lose this friend, that's part of the process. You'll also make new friends who can share your interest.

So I say make your decisions for yourself. For every 10 people you ask, even here, you'll get 10 different opinions. But the only opinion that matters is yours.

schmedrake

I also want to add that to protect yourself, just surround yourself in a protective white light before doing any of these practices. Really, I have only felt creeped out one or two times while practicing these things and it was always because of another human, not a demon.

Also, your friend was just trying to be helpful for you. Her email came out of love... and, yes, fear. I don't think it's fair for anyone to judge her for that. If any one of us was afraid for a friend, we'd express it. The problem is that the fears they're echoing are their own and have little to do with us. I think it's important to consider her words because she comes from your world. But, again, only you can make decisions for yourself.

Fabiannemo

Yes, everyone is entitled to their opinions, but please don't let it deter you from the wonderful journey you can have with the Tarot. The only demons are the ones you put into them and i have never felt threatened by the cards and have never felt my life was near any harm or ruin because of them.

If anything they have always given me a sense of clarity, wonder, friendship, love, and advice - all of which i have also been able to impart to friends and strangers who i've had readings for.

All in all, welcome, with open arms. And never fear something that will embrace you for you as much as Tarot can.

Le Fanu

Think about the roots of tarot. They're not unlike books. They can no more be evil than all those books you see when you go into a bookshop...

scribbler

Le Fanu said:
Think about the roots of tarot. They're not unlike books. They can no more be evil than all those books you see when you go into a bookshop...

This is good advice. Learning about the history of the Tarot and its origin in Renaissance Italy can help dispel some of the myths and fears surrounding it. Robert Place's book "The Tarot: History, Symbolism, and Divination" covers this history in detail.

Morgane_49

Please disregard what this person said to you, Kylie_Girl!

You'll find that reading the tarot is simply a reflection of your own heart and soul. It will open doors of self discovery for you that I truly believe can be opened no other way! There is nothing 'demonic' about it, and I hope this person hasn't caused you to second guess yourself...It really sounds like you're starting to come into your own, and I wouldn't want to see anyone cast doubts on that for you.

What deck did you choose?