Opened my tarot cards for the first time...

Kylie_Girl

I opened my tarot cards with my friend when i went to visit her in Manchester. I found them quite scary! Particularly the tower and the devil cards, very scary descriptions in the tarot bible, which als says that i need to use chrystals for protection while i do readings - even more scary! I think it has worried my hubby a bit too...

Love

Zoe xxxx

AmethystEyes

OH don't be scared! Tarot cards are there to help you! Don't listen to people who say those evil things about them. And the tower and devil....well they could mean a several things depending on what they are next to and what you feel at the moment they are trying to tell you. And the Devil.....could be good ;)

canid

Kylie_Girl said:
I opened my tarot cards with my friend when i went to visit her in Manchester. I found them quite scary! Particularly the tower and the devil cards, very scary descriptions in the tarot bible, which als says that i need to use chrystals for protection while i do readings - even more scary! I think it has worried my hubby a bit too...

Love

Zoe xxxx

Well, you've certainly come to the right place to dispel any 'scary' ideas you & your hubby may have. What deck did you get? No, you don't need to use crystals while doing readings, not unless it makes you feel better connected to your cards. You'll hear & read all kinds of stuff; NOTHING is written in stone regarding tarot. I have a question tho - if you find them scary, why did you get them?

Spend some time here getting acquainted with the people & the cards. There's lots of information about your question, whether it's Biblical, Christian, etc. that will answer any question you have. No, they're not demonic in any way, there's nothing to be frightened of. Do a search here in Talking Tarot (at the top right you can search this board) about, oh, I dunno, be creative - Christianity & tarot, evil, is tarot harmful, Biblical divination, etc.

Good luck & don't be scared! It's just paper & ink. I sleep with a deck under my pillow & I'm still alive.

olivia1

Kylie_Girl said:

Love

Zoe xxxx

if the images scare you then maybe you need a different deck? There are some decks out there that even some tarot "phoebic" people find none threatening. As for the whole, being scared of tarot cards thing... maybe it's just not for you? You have had your deck for what seems like awhile, so maybe you just aren't ready. Or maybe you will never be ready? We already pretty much told you in another thread that tarot cards are not evil and won't cause you to be possessed.

Tarot isn't for everyone, anyway. I know a few people who wanted to learn to read but decided that they simply will never be comfortable enough to be able to work with cards. It's nothing to feel bad about because you at least tried it out and took the effort to study it. There are things out there I know I would never be comfortable working with, either(no matter how harmless).

TractJM

Try a different deck; see if you're more comfortable with them. They're not for anyone - but don't listen to the deck that says you need protection - I use them every day, quite frequently and have never had a problem. The Tower and Devil can mean many things; the tower can symbolically represent the end to an old way of thinking or doing things, leading you into a brighter, better future; the Devil has come up in my readings as both good and bad indicators; it's really up to your intuition and how you feel, with practice. But again, if you really don't feel comfortable with them - then they may not be for you!

irisa

Honestly IMO there's a lot of nonsense talked about rituals, cleansing, storing well virtually any aspect of Tarot. There's no need to do anything sure if you want to but I dislike books that say must, have to and should. There's nothing you have to do but lots you can do if you want to.

It's all about what feels comfortable and right for you if you approach from a fearful point of view and need to be talked into it maybe Tarot isn't going to feel comfortable for you right now.

What about maybe starting with Oracles? There are oracles on every theme fairies, angels, animals and less cards. I think oracles can be a good way to start especially if you're nervous of the idea of Tarot.

irisa :)

Miss Divine

Maybe you should temporarily just remove the few ''scarey cards'' untill you get more used to the other cards in the deck first.

There are, like other members have mentioned, different decks which don't show ''scarey'' images. Maybe that type of deck will make you feel more at ease.

Good luck!

Catwomyn

It sounds like the book you are reading may be inaccurate. There's nothing evil or weird about tarot. In fact, it seems to derive from Rennaisance Christian images.

This link will take you to a page with tarot history:
http://www.tarothermit.com/infosheet.htm

Try getting one of Mary Greer's books or Teresa Michelson's book or go to Joan Bunning's website for non-scary tarot information.

Joan Bunning's Learn Tarot website:
http://www.learntarot.com/

Amazon carries Mary's and Teresa's books.

starrystarrynight

Think of it this way: they are just little pieces of cardboard with pictures on them. The worst they can do to you is to give you a paper cut. :)

I think that if you go into learning tarot with a spiritual mindset, you will be fine with any deck you use. But as the others have said, if the images on the deck you have scare you, find another one that suits you better. There are a gazillion of them out there to choose from!