Not to read on certain days?

mrpants

Yeah the no Sundays thing is probably to keep the Sabbath Holy, for Christians, because maybe if money is changing hands, then it's considered work? There are a number of interesting ways that superstition and religion collide, in various cultures. But it sounds like if he was asking if it's ok with you, then it's probably ok with him? I guess that's the important thing!

mrpants

There are probably ancient Jewish laws prohibiting divination/healing specifically on the Sabbath as well, which could have trickled down into Christian tradition.

ravenest

Yeah the no Sundays thing is probably to keep the Sabbath Holy, for Christians, because maybe if money is changing hands, then it's considered work? There are a number of interesting ways that superstition and religion collide, in various cultures. But it sounds like if he was asking if it's ok with you, then it's probably ok with him? I guess that's the important thing!

Except the Sabbath is Saturday !

That was my main reading day ! (Markets )

Barleywine

When I was in Germany in the late '60s, I had a friend who rented an apartment in the small town of Butzbach. One Sunday he was out washing his car at the curb and the local polizei gave him a citation for working on Sunday. Not sure it had to do with religion, more about public impropriety of some sort. Maybe he was having a bier on the street . . .

Grizabella

There are probably ancient Jewish laws prohibiting divination/healing specifically on the Sabbath as well, which could have trickled down into Christian tradition.

There are. Seventh Day Adventists, Jews, and maybe a few others who consider Saturday the original Sabbath, which it is. The Catholics changed it to Sunday but I've forgotten why. But that aside, they would probably not read on the Sabbath they observe, whether Saturday or Sunday, if they don't believe Tarot is evil. For me, though, Saturday being the Sabbath I believe is "the" day, that would be the day when I imagine readings to be the most meaningful and I'd be more inclined to do them on that day, now that you mention it. I'm of Jewish heritage on one branch of my family tree it seems and Native American, English and German on the others, was Seventh Day Adventist for awhile, and now my spirituality doesn't adhere to man-devised religion. Over the years I've been sober, my spirituality has evolved into something that doesn't really follow man-made rules.

The world abounds with superstitions. If they work for you then that's okay for you but if they don't, don't worry about them. :)

Saskia

DEPENDS WHAT YOU THINK TAROT IS

I guess it depends how you view tarot and your religion (if you have any).

Do you consider you're doing something wrong or against the will of the Divine when reading? If yes, then maybe "holy days" should be left out. Or maybe you'll need to reconsider what tarot is - is it something sinful and wrong to be hidden from the 'eyes of the divine'? Why? Why not?

Do you feel you're working while reading, whereas your religion's god forbids working on certain days? Then yes, maybe leave these rest days out.

If you think tarot is direct communication with higher beings/the divine/angels/something along these lines, wouldn't it make most sense to read on holy days when the connection could be seen "enforced"?

In any other (and in my own) case, I can't see why readings could not be done day and night, Christmas, Easter and Halloween and anything in between.

Farzon

I guess it depends how you view tarot and your religion (if you have any).

Do you consider you're doing something wrong or against the will of the Divine when reading? If yes, then maybe "holy days" should be left out. Or maybe you'll need to reconsider what tarot is - is it something sinful and wrong to be hidden from the 'eyes of the divine'? Why? Why not?

Do you feel you're working while reading, whereas your religion's god forbids working on certain days? Then yes, maybe leave these rest days out.

If you think tarot is direct communication with higher beings/the divine/angels/something along these lines, wouldn't it make most sense to read on holy days when the connection could be seen "enforced"?

In any other (and in my own) case, I can't see why readings could not be done day and night, Christmas, Easter and Halloween and anything in between.
Very much this! The question is however: if one feel feels they offend their god with reading, why should they even do it? Unless it's only felons of guilt coming from their upbringing?
When I was in Germany in the late '60s, I had a friend who rented an apartment in the small town of Butzbach. One Sunday he was out washing his car at the curb and the local polizei gave him a citation for working on Sunday. Not sure it had to do with religion, more about public impropriety of some sort. Maybe he was having a bier on the street . . .
Oh my god. I always love to hear stories about Germany and Austria from the "old days". It's so hard to believe how deeply religion was rooted in public life here in Europe for such a long time. But what I hear from people from the country... it still is very strict in some areas, I guess.

nisaba

So yesterday a friend asked me if it was so to read the tarot the next day (today) to his wife, because it was Sunday and her birthday, so he wanted to be if it was OK to do so.
The question surprised me because I couldn't think of any reason why it would not be fine to read did any time, any day.

Exactly.

Then he said (and was quite showed I didn't know) there are some days where it is wrong to read it, like the day of Saint John... And some hours, for example, past 9 pm.

He must be an expert, and I must know nothing about it.

SashaCY

Exactly.

He must be an expert, and I must know nothing about it.
Lol yes. I thought "I've been doing it all wrong" (specially because I love reading for my self late at night before going to bed)

I understand each has superstitions. I for example don't like others touching my cards and there is that one deck I would never use to read for someone else because it speaks to me in a very personal way (or maybe I'm selfish about it)

Enviado desde mi HUAWEI G7-L03 mediante Tapatalk