Opened my tarot cards for the first time...

Nevada

Some of the images in Tarot are supposed to be edgy, maybe a little scary, because that's how the Tarot balances itself. It contains all meanings, positive and negative, and the images on the Devil and Tower are usually more evocative of negative meanings -- though all the cards can be positive or negative in meaning, depending on the reading. The Devil and Tower simply display their negativity (depending on one's view of it) up front, more obvious.

If they're terrifying, though, you might be more comfortable with a different style of deck. What deck are you using?

ETA: If they're just a little scary, because they're new and you're not used to them yet, there's one way to remedy that -- use them. :)

Morgane_49

What deck are you using?

AmethystEyes

In her profile it says Rider Waite.

Oddity

Kylie_Girl said:
I opened my tarot cards with my friend when i went to visit her in Manchester. I found them quite scary! Particularly the tower and the devil cards, very scary descriptions in the tarot bible, which als says that i need to use chrystals for protection while i do readings - even more scary! I think it has worried my hubby a bit too...

Love

Zoe xxxx
Why do you find them scary? Is it the pictures in that particular deck, or does Tarot in general feel scary to you?

The Devil and the Tower are cards that sometimes tell about things that are less comfortable, it makes sense that the images for those cards reflect that. But that is what it is; IMAGES. Just images. They can't harm you, any more than the printed words in a book can harm you. Tarot is like a book of stories; sometimes the story you read in the cards is sweet, sometimes hilarious, sometimes confusing or sad or even scary. But it is a SYMBOLIC story, not literal, not hard facts carved in stone. When I get the Tower I don't expect the house to literally fall around me, just as the 7 of Swords has, up to this day, never meant that guy from the circus has been dancing around in my garden with an armful of oversized swords... The same goes for the Devil and all the other cards.

Tarot is a bunch of pictures that together tell a story. What story, depends on the combination of cards, and on who's reading them. As a reader, you create the story, as you read. You make the connections between the images, and you decide what they mean to you.
You are the one who puts the meaning in the cards. Without you, the cards are meaningless. Paper, ink, dust.

Sure, sometimes the cards and the stories will scare you. But remember, they can't actually do anything more than that to you. Don't be afraid. Fear will stand in your way and keep you from learning.

And you really don't need crystals or anything like that unless it makes you feel better. (Myself, I like to use music to create a "special space" in which to read.) It is a tool to make you feel comfortable and relaxed (= not afraid) so you can read. If you are tense, you'll not find as many stories in the cards. If you are afraid or worried, you'll most likely only find scary or worrying stories. Be playful, treat the cards with a bit of healthy disrespect :) and you'll find they can be very playful and funny too.

For what it's worth, I have two friends who are Christian, who (I found out) sometimes like to read Tarot cards. One of them is even a priest, and also one of the smartest, kindest people I know. :)

Baroli

sweetheart,

I'm a christian, been reading for nearly 40 years,...they haven't scared me yet. Just take a breath,...breathe. Ok, just remember. All they are are cardstock with pictures on them. THEY can do no harm.

Annabelle

My recollection of the Tarot Bible book was that it was a bit silly and new-agey; not a great beginner's guide, really.

Put your book aside and just connect with your cards. Not all the images are going to be positive . . . if you want a deck of positive, self-affirming images, there are some oracle decks out there that fit the description, but tarot cards cover the gamut of possibilities and emotions.

If you are a devout Christian (as I was, many years ago, though I no longer practice that faith), then perhaps a prayer before you use the cards would help to calm your mind? I wouldn't worry about crystals and "cleansing" and all that. Just ask for God's guidance, and trust in Him.

There's nothing bad or evil or dangerous about tarot cards, in my opinion.

P.S. Listen to Baroli. She offered some good advice.

Nytebugg

Paulina is a busy deck but the devil in it is rather handsome and dancing with a pretty woman. The tower is a tree i believe with little fairies flying away.
Whimsical like others said is good. no scary images there.
my 12 year old niece has an angel tarot of some sort.
I don't have any special place I read or things I do before I read. I don't even use a cloth beneath my cards. as long as the surface is clean I am good to go. that doesn't mean you can't have your own ritual before you read or make a special reading space that make you feel comfortable. i have seen readers contact spirit guides and I had one that did a quick prayer.
as you go your understanding of the cards will grow. The devil can mean not so great things and then he can mean something as simple as over eating at dinner or meeting someone whom you find devilishly handsome. He came up in my daily draw for other day and then that night I ordered the never ending pasta bowl at the Olive Garden. LOL
I guess my rambling point is feel free to try another deck and read other books. I get books from my library on tarot all the time. Learn and be willing to learn new things as you go along. Most of all just have fun.

Emily

The dark cards are needed to equal the light. Life isn't all sweetness so you need some hard-hitting cards in the deck.

Once you get to know your deck better, you'll realise that there is nothing scary about them. It's probably a good job you didn't get the Morgan Greer as your first deck thought LOL - awesome Devil card in that one.

AmethystEyes

Emily said:
The dark cards are needed to equal the light. Life isn't all sweetness so you need some hard-hitting cards in the deck.

Once you get to know your deck better, you'll realise that there is nothing scary about them. It's probably a good job you didn't get the Morgan Greer as your first deck thought LOL - awesome Devil card in that one.
Or Bohemian Gothic!

Aerin

It sounds to me like it may be the book that is the problem. I don't know it, but personally I run a mile from books that start telling me to do stuff with crystals and etc as if it is 'necessary'. Really, it isn't unless it helps and fits with your belief system.

78 pieces of paper.

Another author (I agree with the Joan Bunning and Mary Greer suggestions) you may want to take a look at is Rachel Pollack. Some Little White Books are also chock full of myths dressed up as 'fact' and predictive definitive type meanings : take it all with a grain of salt and trust yourself.

Oh, and have a look at Thirteen's card meanings from the 'learn' section of this site http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/learn/