Quantum Tarot: A new deck by the 78th Fool and Leo62

Lurea

I like the images much better with the smaller borders, too. But (IMHO) white borders tend to pastel down the colors. I think a black border would allow the cards to be more vivid and striking. Or borderless?

But I like the white small borders much better than the larger patterened ones. The images do seem larger and brighter without the large border.

whipsilk

I swore I would never do this, since a recent dust-up in a thread begun by Ciro Marchetti in which requests poured in like water on a Star card (not really, but it was surprising how many people asked for this change or that alteration to a deck already published), but you did ask for feedback, so:

I have to agree with Lurea and Bat Chicken. The white borders, minimal as they are, just seem to render the image colors a tad less intense. While I'd prefer no borders at all, I think a minimal black border would do the opposite of the white, and tend to enrich the colors rather than washing them out. After all, black is the native "color" of space (and yes, I know, it's a quantum theory/relativity deck, not a space deck, but that was my first thought on looking at the new borders).

But I still will be getting this deck, even if it's published (and it will be) with Tarot of the Ages sized white borders and postage-stamp-sized images.

whipsilk

NOTE: I am not predicting the deck will be published "with Tarot of the Ages sized white borders and postage-stamp-sized images" in the above post. I am predicting the deck will be published.

The 78th Fool

Thanks to all of you for your comments. One of the reasons I did this new format was to arm us with alternatives should we have to give a sales presentation to a publisher. The old and the new versions show two opposite approaches but if a publisher takes this on we'll probably leave them to make the final decision with regards to presentation, which could even end up somewhere in between the two.

My personal feelings are that I prefer the plainer white borders as they allow the artwork to 'breathe' more freely. A further alternative that Kay and I discussed was to adopt the new border format but to use the colours from the old borders for each suit rather than just white.

Although like Lurea and Bat Chicken I love borderless cards, it's not an option here unfortunately. Firstly, I didn't create the artwork with the required 'bleed' over the edges for borderless printing. Secondly, the original artwork is A4 size which wouldn't make the best proportioned cards.

Chris. xx

jackdaw*

Chris and Kay,

I've come around to the idea that you're right - the old borders (glorious though they were on screen!) are overwhelming. They do have a lot more room in the smaller margin-type borders. And bless you for not going borderless! I do think that a black border might be preferable to the white, or I very much like the idea you just suggested, Chris, to integrate the old border colours for suits.

No matter what, this is a lovely deck, and my promise to order at the first opportunity still stands!

Bat Chicken

QueenofPentacles said:
No matter what, this is a lovely deck, and my promise to order at the first opportunity still stands!

100% agreed!! :D

stella01904

Lurea said:
I like the images much better with the smaller borders, too. But (IMHO) white borders tend to pastel down the colors. I think a black border would allow the cards to be more vivid and striking. Or borderless?

But I like the white small borders much better than the larger patterened ones. The images do seem larger and brighter without the large border.
What I see over and over again, universally, is that nobody likes borders. A lot of people cut them off!

The smaller and less noticable the better. Nonexistent is best, lol. But if you have to have them, I'm sure you'll come up with something that isn't too intrusive. ;)
Stella

Sophie

I like the plain white borders - they remind me of Kay's Universe Cards - and I I think that kind of border works very well with the spectacular imagery of the card - doesn't distract, but draws the eye. And since it's a necessarily rather dark (in tone) deck, the white also provides a good contrast.

fall_guy

stella01904 said:
What I see over and over again, universally, is that nobody likes borders.
Not me! Sometimes a border (if done well) can enhance a deck and give it an overall consistency.

I think black would be better, but also how about a different font - perhaps something more unusual or modern?

pleroma

I just read through this entire thread and I think that your deck is fabulous and imaginative to boot. The new borders are just what the deck needed, giving the artwork an added touch of dignity and refinement. I would be interested to see the borders in reverse, black background white text, just for curiosity's sake. Either way, I am eagerly awaiting the publishing of your stellar project.