Reading Cloths for the Season upon Us

greatdane

Ah yes Disa!

There is just something about a solid as a background to a deck. Mostly I love a rich velvet or even a black brocade, but even a heavy cotton black background just shows off the cards imo. If a cloth is really busy, I think it makes the cards POP less as they have to compete with the background. Although I have seen some lovely lovely patterned cloths, for reading, I love solids!

MoonGypsy

There is just something about a solid as a background to a deck. Mostly I love a rich velvet or even a black brocade, but even a heavy cotton black background just shows off the cards imo. If a cloth is really busy, I think it makes the cards POP less as they have to compete with the background. Although I have seen some lovely lovely patterned cloths, for reading, I love solids!

A great alternative [kind of a "having your cake and eating it, too, thing"] is to have a reversible reading cloth--One side a solid color and one side a very interesting cool print.

greatdane

True Moongypsy and who doesn't want to have

their cake and eat it too! For me, that's a black solid on one side, a pretty velvet color on the other, but I could SO see a lovely pattern on one side and a solid on the other. Two fers are great :) I love things that do double duty.

Inconnu

I have a bunch of old cowboy bandanas in various patterns. Paisley, plaid, solids, Indian patterns...

I just use whatever is on the top of the heap.

raheli

I've attached pics of a Halloween Reading Quilt I made on Sunday. The fabric pattern is called "Nevermore", and I used a fabric on the back that looks tea-dyed. The binding hasn't been applied yet -- I'm thinking of doing red.

Say, Greatdane, I'd be happy to try a burnt orange crushed velvet for you. I've never quilted a velvety fabric before, but I think it would be interesting to try.

(I'm not an experienced quilter, just a determined experimenter.:D)

Oh that is stunning!!!

raheli

I mainly read on a small rectangle of velveteen vintage upholstery fabric. It has a carpet bag feel to it.

I also have a gorgeous set of chakra cloths (1 for each chakra) that are hand dyed muslin which are lovely for readings.

When I'm setting up for a show I use deep red or teal sateen to give a little ambiance (pronounced OMbiONCe with a cheeky grin and a plum in your mouth)

Morwenna

When I'm setting up for a show I use deep red or teal sateen to give a little ambiance (pronounced OMbiONCe with a cheeky grin and a plum in your mouth)

:D:D:D

When I was reading for the public, I tried a soft silk scarf (pastel solid) on top of a striped tablecloth, but the scarf was way too soft. So I just used the tablecloth after that; it's two shades of lavender, only, so it didn't distract from the cards (it's really a madras bedspread, but it serves well for long or round banquet tables for SCA feasts; it has to be folded for reading). I used to use a large brown wool shawl with a border of roses, but never try to use something brightly floral outdoors in the early autumn--too many bees! :bugeyed:

It all means that when I want to read for the public again, I need a new cloth. I have a few ideas from the fabrics I see in the stores; outdoors, of course, I'd want a cotton or cotton blend.

mah jong

Black cloth with a thin white border on two sides. I like it's neutral vibe that focuses attention onto the cards. I don't know fabrics well but it has a thick satin texture.

Calcifer

I have a 36" square solid black silk aviator's scarf that I throw down for any kind of a larger readings and it rolls up nicely to fit in the box I keep with my two main decks. In addition, each of my decks has a smaller 17" solid dupioni silk square (of various colors to match the deck) that fit right in the silk bags that the decks live in - for 3 to 7 card readings. Pretty handy to have a small cloth right there all the time.

For YEARS though, I didn't use any kind of reading cloth at all - my cards went directly onto the sand, dirt, pavement, tabletop, or whatever was at hand (yes, I can hear the screams of anguish from many of you....).

Michael

greatdane

ok for those of you who use silky cloths

My question is how do you keep them from moving around at all? I guess if you're not outside and there isn't even a slight breeze, would be fine. I just like to be able to lay the cards on something that is a bit substantial so it doesn't move around at all or slide too easily. I LOVE the idea of just silk cloths though.