Restoring the Tarot de Paris (17th century) ?

thinbuddha

I would like to give this deck a thinbuddha-style restoration...

Edit: I believe that obtaining the scans and permissions to reproduce from BNP might be prohibitive. I will contact them, but I don't have high hopes.

If anyone knows someone who knows someone......

Le Fanu

thinbuddha said:
*gasp*

Can we have that in writing? O please!

But do you have any idea how difficult this would be? Have you looked really close at the details?

It would be a toughie. But please don't let me dissuade you...

thinbuddha

I haven't looked at the details. I have not seen this deck in person. Care to direct me to some scans of the nastier cards (nasty as in difficult to work with)?

SolSionnach

thinbuddha said:
I haven't looked at the details. I have not seen this deck in person. Care to direct me to some scans of the nastier cards (nasty as in difficult to work with)?
Dude, I am *so* in line for that!
You might PM Gregory about scans... ;)

conversus

Put me in line right after SolSionnach!!!!

CED

kwaw

I'm in for a repro (that reproduces ambiguities an'allm and doesn't try to interpret them). I have been after a TdP for a long time - a fellow member gifted me one earlier this year but it went missing in the post:(

Bernice

Thinbuddha, I'm saving for this one, as of now! (Could'nt afford your other deck, I will afford this one).

I think you might need really big scans of some of the 'mucky' cards. I've tried to get a clearer pic of the Lightening/Tower.....not too successful. I think there are techniques to highlight definitions in the murky areas, but I don't seem able to discover what they are!

Bee :)

Le Fanu

kwaw said:
I'm in for a repro (that reproduces ambiguities an'allm and doesn't try to interpret them). I have been after a TdP for a long time - a fellow member gifted me one earlier this year but it went missing in the post:(
ufff! How horrendous is that?

SolSionnach.. don't you have a link to a website with good scans of the cards? If nobody else can scan cards, thinbuddha, I could send you a few scans of some of the "denser" cards.Maybe at the weekend I'll have time.

The problem is not so much the line of the engraving, but the colouring blocks which often obscure finer detail

It would be a challenge, but the final result would be a seriously significant historical reproduction...

Le Fanu

Don't know if this helps, but this is the link I posted when I was on the lookout for one in trading. Further down the page it has a slide show of the T de Paris Majors, very good quality. It certainly gives a sense of the cards in good resolution...

Behold the Tarot de Paris!

gregory

thinbuddha said:
I am in line for a copy. :)