Restoring the Tarot de Paris (17th century) ?

thinbuddha

:)

I have basically given up on this. They never seem to reply to me other than to say that someone will get back to me. It's been.... well.... years now, I guess. This, and I just don't think that there is enough demand in the tarot world for the amount of work that goes into these projects. I was hoping I could make a living doing this, but I can't even cover my costs, it seems.

le_charior

:)

I have basically given up on this. They never seem to reply to me other than to say that someone will get back to me. It's been.... well.... years now, I guess. This, and I just don't think that there is enough demand in the tarot world for the amount of work that goes into these projects. I was hoping I could make a living doing this, but I can't even cover my costs, it seems.

I was afraid so... A real pity, but totally understandable. If it doesn't even pay the bills...

At least there is the Payen! :)

thinbuddha

I hesitate to give hope, but here goes:

I just got an email from the bnf. It was a mass mailing that somehow made it through my spam filters. They will soon be offering scans of artwork on demand for a set price. It seems that one can use a internet based store to process orders.....

I need to investigate more. It is either somewhat expensive, or prohibitively expensive......

either way, I would need to find myself a copy of Photoshop before doing anything.

le_charior

great news! trying not to get my hopes up too much, but hey, a little dreaming can't hurt, no? ;)

Laura Borealis

Bumping this with curiosity and hope. :) Any news?

whipsilk

For those like me who yearn for a Tarot de Paris facsimile, you can order one from Les editions SIVILIXI:
http://editions-sivilixi.com/la-boutique/
My French is imperfect at best; the deck, which appears to be a photo reproduction of the deck in the Bibliotheque National de France (including the BN stamp that mars the bottom center of each card), is listed as "Edition de André Dimanche fabriquée par Grimaud." Not sure if this means it's the commercial Grimaud/France Cartes deck from 1985 (which I understood was long out of print), or just what it is, but it's currently available for 32 euros (plus 7 euros international postage) - I just ordered one and it was confirmed. The site's owner, Patrick Coq, has also recently completed a restoration (with BR stamps removed) of the full 78-card Vieville deck.

As a proud owner of thinbuddha's beautiful Payen deck, I'll happily purchase his 'cleaned up' Tarot de Paris if it ever is completed, but until then, this may be my only shot at a reasonable TdP. I'll also post a follow-up once I receive the cards.

Laura Borealis

I would love to have both the Paris and the Vieville from Les editions SIVILIXI. They look gorgeous! They've been on my to-get list for awhile.