The Biggest Bust of 2012 ?

GoldenWolf

I have to admit that while I love the Mary-El, I'd love it a lot more without the glossy, sticky Schiffer cardstock. Same with the Tarot of the Sidhe. The Mary-El guidebook could be sturdier too. I handle it carefully, but worry that it will fall apart within the year. I don't get it because their packaging is first rate and sturdy. The color and printing quality also is very good. I'd appreciate the large size cards since I need reading glasses these days IF I could shuffle them more easily. I have large hands for a woman too, but struggle with the cards clumping together. So I'm not sure that it's the biggest bust of 2012, but it is disappointing.

I can't really think of anything else that is in the running for this title. Many of the decks people are dismissing as lightweight in the thread, I sort of expected them to be lightweight when I got them so I wasn't bothered by it. To me, the Sun and Moon,, for example, lets you read with a Thoth derived deck for other people without worrying about them having seriously negative reactions of the "Wasn't Crowley the Wickedist Man in the World?" variety. No and even if he was, who cares? Still it's a pain to begin a reading on that note. So to me, lightweight decks can have a useful niche in my collection.

magpie9

Many of the decks people are dismissing as lightweight in the thread, I sort of expected them to be lightweight when I got them so I wasn't bothered by it. To me, the Sun and Moon,, for example, lets you read with a Thoth derived deck for other people without worrying about them having seriously negative reactions of the "Wasn't Crowley the Wickedist Man in the World?" variety. No and even if he was, who cares? Still it's a pain to begin a reading on that note. So to me, lightweight decks can have a useful niche in my collection.

I agree that lightweight can be very useful, and I cherish several of the genre. However, Sun and Moon is lightweight to the extent of bobble-headedness. :D

gregory

I agree that lightweight can be very useful, and I cherish several of the genre. However, Sun and Moon is lightweight to the extent of bobble-headedness. :D

Don't you mean potato-headedness ??? :D

Parzival

Biggest Bust in 2012

Don't hold anything back, mags! :p

I think I said this in a previous thread, but I was very disappointed with the Lost Tarot of Nostradamus. :(
My first set was printed off-center. I got a better one with apologies from the publisher. The images are simple and do not always fit the major arcana scheme. But the book is excellent, and the deck is more an oracle than a tarot.
In general, I don't understand why so many bad ("shit") decks get published and sold. Maybe some Tarot fans should take off their blinders and save some pennies? I'm trying to be more selective and go for the gold and not the sand.

missy

My workaround for the Mary-el cards was to ask the publisher for cards to replace my damaged ones.

I have been happy with the deck since then. But it was a process, getting a full deck without any damaged cards. I would rather just have a nice deck with great cardstock rather than a pretty box with a magnetic closure and a book.

Tarot Orat

Sacred Sites. I was dubious about how well the theme would work, but was swayed by the lovely artwork and my fondness for archaeology and architecture.

Um......about that. I could've just bought 78 postcards if I wanted to see architecture. And the people were not drawn nearly as well as the sites! They looked stiff and awkward, like they weren't happy about being there.

I just could connect with it. Donated it to the used book store (my preferred fate for unwanted decks).

Celtictarot

I am of the people who get the decks they resonate with. I am getting the Crystal Visions deck as my fluffy deck. (I keep reading Klingon within for kingdom within) LOL LOL.

jema

I think for it to be a 'bust' for me it would have to be a deck I really looked forward to getting and was all giddy about before I got it in the mail and that would then leave me sad and confused or just plain bored.

I always kinda knew that Crystal visions would suck, so I can't count that one.
I can live with the card-stock of Mary-El since I LOVE that deck.
Ghosts and Spirits I haven't even shuffled yet but then, I never been a huge Lisa Hunt fan in the first place and am well aware that I am not the target buyer for that deck.

But Darkana... all that waiting for very little. I haven't even looked at it since I tried it out for 2 days several months ago. It feels a little lackluster. A little gray and toothless. I love some of the cards, but as a whole it don't really appeal to me. Or annoy me, or shake up my world. It's not even a very inappropriate deck tbh.

Tarot Orat

I am of the people who get the decks they resonate with. I am getting the Crystal Visions deck as my fluffy deck. (I keep reading Klingon within for kingdom within) LOL LOL.

If you like it, who can argue with that? :) I like how this thread is about our personal feelings about the decks...what works for one person doesn't for another and vice-versa, and that's how the world works!

Alta

If you like it, who can argue with that? :) I like how this thread is about our personal feelings about the decks...what works for one person doesn't for another and vice-versa, and that's how the world works!
I so agree! I chuckle sometimes when people trash decks that I think are fine, even great decks. Makes the world go round.

I'll join jema on the Darkana. sigh. What a bust. And yet, I am sure I have seen people post that they like it a lot. So..... life goes on.