The Metaphorical Tarot

blackroseivy

Well, everyone, I'm "at it" yet again! ;) I will be posting a LOT as I gradually build up the images for this one. I'm not yet done with my last project, it's true, but my muse calls & this one is wearing the guise of International Gothic-style, & speaking the language of Hermeticism & Alchemy. I hope that people will like even the very tiny start I have represented here.

I have more sketches, they are VERY sketchy indeed! :p ;) This one is the best of the lot, it is of the Strength image.

The thing about these particular sketches is that I am creating full-blown paintings of them, multi-panel pieces per Major, for the full 22 Major Arcana. Needless to say, this is going to take me rather a while yet! I am going to be painting on cradled "Claybord", which has a ground similar to that of the Old Masters. They will each have a different number of panels, different shapes, but all will be roughly the same dimensions when hung.

This is also, but of course - naturellem`ent, or I wouldn't have a name for the deck! - going to be scaled down & altered into a full 78-card deck, painted right directly upon those cards that they so thoughtfully provide for the purpose, blank with a wonderful smooth ground. ;)

I am using real gold leaf on the cards. The paintings - being quite large! - will have metallic paints. Although, it is possible to acquire the REAL thing, gold paint - in the form of a kind of cake. But they are muy petito, & muy expensivo!!!!!!! (forgiving the horrible "Spanish" :p )

Anyway, I'm doing the paintings in oils, but the cards will be done in egg tempera. Quite in keeping materials-wise, as I want to be.

So, here is the very 1st sketch.

As I say, they will be Late or International Gothic in style, but with weird quirks as to composition, symbolism, etc.

This "Strength" conquers the lion with will rather than with brute force - a theme picked up from the Fool & The Magician, & more or less carried throughout.

Attachments

• metaphoricalstrength.jpg
    metaphoricalstrength.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 175

bleuivy

Yay! You posted it! This card looks really interesting. This entire project has piqued my interest. I'll be looking forward to seeing how it progresses. Your enthusiasm for these cards shines through as you talk about them.

I can't wait to see more! :)

Moonboy

exciting work, danubhe!!
The sketch looks amazing!,,,I can only imagined the finished work! What a great undertaking! Best of luck!

blackroseivy

Thanx so much!!!!!!! :D I can hardly wait to get the painting started, so that I can show the colors!! :D

I'll scan more of the sketches in a wee. :)

temperlyne

Another deck in my favourite medium! Can't wait to see the first painted version.

celticnoodle

oh danubhe, i do like the sketch! can't wait to see more of them.

silver_rain

Very nice, I love the way you made the lion be conquered by will! I'm excited to see the painted version :)

blackroseivy

Thanx!! :D

CN, quite possibly you will be able to see this work in person! :D

celticnoodle

yippee!!!! :D

blackroseivy

Here are some more sketches.

The Magician is performing for a pair of lovers, with the same "trick" of levitating his wand; the Moon isn't really quite complete as some of the reflection in the water is missing; there is a tiny dog & a tiny wolf in it. The Papess is only very sketchy just now.

The lines separating some of the image from the rest of it that you see in the drawings, represent the gaps between panels. This is for the paintings, you see - the large-scale work.

Attachments

• themetaphoricaltarotthefool.jpg
    themetaphoricaltarotthefool.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 117
  • themetaphoricaltarotthemagician.jpg
    themetaphoricaltarotthemagician.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 129
  • themetaphoricaltarotthepapess.jpg
    themetaphoricaltarotthepapess.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 122
  • themetaphoricaltarotthemoon.jpg
    themetaphoricaltarotthemoon.jpg