The Potato Print Tarot

OnePotato

Well, I have all but abandoned this project, but here is a look at a prototype card from the (probably ill-fated) Potato Print Tarot.

The process is "easy."
You slice a potato, or other solid vegetable. (In this case, a large turnip, as I needed more surface area than even a large potato could provide.) Carve it very much like a rubber stamp. Apply ink, and press onto paper.

There is no direct painting or drawing involved in the image you see here.
The image is entirely printed from sliced & carved vegetable.
Each color is applied separately. (The background is a blend, with the ink rolled out on a sheet of glass.)
You either have to seriously simplify your design, or seriously complicate your potato.

The run is limited to around 25 copies. The earlier ones are sharper than the later, as it tends to smoosh a little with each impression. This one is from somewhere in the middle.

I was initially pretty pleased with the results. For some time, I've worked out the technical issues of multi-color potato printing in my mind, but this was the first real applied test.

Now I'm having severe doubts about whether to continue. Unfortunately, it would take some serious time to produce even a 22 card deck, and for all that I would only have 20 copies. I'm guessing my time might be better spent on some other things that I've had cooking for quite a while, (Maybe minors for my earlier deck?) and maybe put this technique to use on something else that doesn't involve so many images.

Anyway, have a look before it slides into a pot on the back burner...

Thanks,
OnePotato

Attachments

• PotatoStrength11r.jpg
    PotatoStrength11r.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 419

Deckster

You know...

This is potentialy a very lovely set. I love the idea with the the colors layered over colors. I think you should continue to pursue this.

What I would suggest is that rather than making only 20-22 decks, you should make several originals, then have the best of these originals scanned and printed.

The idea is certainly valid, but there is no reason to actually "Play" with original artist prints. This way the orginals could be perserved and the
intention of the art could be put on a deck of cards that would bring joy and
insight to the user. Best of luck to you. I'd love to see more of this deck.

Deckster.

Little Baron

I love it, to be honest, OnePotatoe.

LB

truelighth

I agree with Deckster. Make one original, if you continue and keep that to make copies. I think the Strength card looks really great. And what a great idea :). Thanks for sharing.

Sheri

You made that card with a POTATO?! :bugeyed:

Amazing! I love it! :thumbsup: You should continue. I agree with Deckster and truelighth, make one original then scan those for deck production.

WOW - the talent in this forum really blows my mind! :)

valeria

Debra

Wow. I thought I was a genius when we did a potato print in black and white for our winter holiday cards .... this is really terrific; nice lines, good coloring. I vote with the advice to make a few decks and scan & print copies. Wow.

OnePotato

Thank you all for the very nice comments! :D

Deckster said:
This is potentialy a very lovely set. I love the idea with the the colors layered over colors. I think you should continue to pursue this.

What I would suggest is that rather than making only 20-22 decks, you should make several originals, then have the best of these originals scanned and printed. ...
Deckster, I'm glad you like it. I considered doing an edition of 20 originals along with a more affordable run of 50 or 100 digital copies. But I'm still afraid it will have limited appeal. The time involved is the issue.

LittleBuddha said:
I love it, to be honest, OnePotatoe.
LittleBuddha, on the other hand, this is why I couldn't just bury it! :)

truelighth said:
I agree with Deckster. Make one original, if you continue and keep that to make copies....
Hello truelighth. Making only one original doesn't really solve it. A lot of the time is in the preparation. But I do agree with the basic idea of using digital production.

valeria said:
You made that card with a POTATO?! :bugeyed:
Hello valeria. Well, a turnip, actually. :)

Debra said:
Wow. I thought I was a genius when we did a potato print in black and white for our winter holiday cards ....
Hello Debra. Yes! I started out with about 5 years worth of holiday cards. One color, or sometimes two, but not in tight register. Then I got some ideas on how to handle the registration. And it worked!

Anyway, thank you all again. Maybe I'll keep it going in the background. (And start minors for my old deck in between.) The whole point was the utter insanity of it. It's a huge departure from my normal work. That's probably why I've lost my nerve.

Best,
OnePotato

DraagonStorm

Why not make the 20-22 original copies. Pick out the best/your favorite of each card (as I'm sure they don't come out the same for each card). Then you can offer the digital reproduction deck for a 'resonable' price, and then offer your originals for a much, much higher price to the serious collector. Of course you keep the copy your used to make the digital, as #1 of (20-22) for your retirement!

I didn't know a veggie stamp print could look like that!!!!!!!! Great Work, but I've seen your work, and I don't expect less from you.

BB
DraagonStorm

Sheri

Originally posted by OnePotato:
Hello valeria. Well, a turnip, actually. :)

You made that card with a TURNIP?! :bugeyed:

This just proves my childhood theory that turnips were never meant to be eaten :)

I would buy this deck!

nelsleep

That is a beautiful looking card, with an impressionistic feel coming through using your clever technique. A unique idea for a deck. I'm sure no one would think twice if they knew the original deck had been (painstakenly) made and then prints made. They would be able to see (and appreciate) the work in the originals as they held their printed version in their hands.
Just as a suggestion, I'm not sure how decks are usually printed, but if you were able to find a talented screenprinter who is used to reproducing Art prints then this would really enhance the original print effect, it is basically an exact replica of the potato (er I mean turnip) print will be produced with the smooth stamping of the screenprinter laying one colour over another -just as you have done. If screenprinting is used rather than digital printing, the original intent of the 'crafted' deck would be kept- and you would have good control over the colour and the effects of the overlaid colours would not be lost.... Just to urge you further on if I can (and probably labour the point! lol), I only have one deck -oh! and one other one order, as I am not (yet) a 'collector' type, but I would definitely jump to own a Potato Print deck, original print or reproduced print. Who can't remember sometime back in their distant preschool years getting messy and dangerous with root vegetables, paint and sharp tools! This deck would have that sort of nostalgic feel with its roots (scuse pun) in a commonly shared childhood experience of many, but is obviously a thoughtful, workable deck for reading with at the same time. End of rant...