The Potato Print Tarot

OnePotato

WolfDeca said:
It's absolutely gorgeous! I love the shading on the lion. How on earth did you get it that way?
Thank you WolfDeca. There's no trick to shading. It's just a matter of imagining the overlaps correctly. I start with a grey key plate, and build up from there.

elf said:
One Potato, unless you are seriously mashed you should get over to the cutting board and start chopping. Turnips are cheap, I have some great turnip recipes and the community loves your work.

That card is astounding considering it was done by a vegetable with a vegetable!!! ;)
Thanks elf! (I never said I wasn't mashed!) I'm glad you like it.

MeeWah said:
OnePotato: A truly unique idea for a deck, & one I would like to see more of!

Like that Strength, & it looks Marseilles-inspired. It would be viable as a Major Arcana-only deck.

The creation process obviously involves the painstaking & time-consuming, but as seen from Strength, the results worth it! (Also see further possibilities--such as for a limited run of prints; also greeting cards & T-shirts.)

Years ago, made giftwrap & greeting cards, using a 'carved' potato half & poster paints respectively on brown paper & cardstock. Challenging to apply sufficient paint evenly to avoid paint blobs & extended drying time, I used a paintbrush to apply paint to the potato.

World Spirit Tarot a block-print deck, & its unique qualities--vitality & freedom--seem largely due to its art medium. Please do not abandon the project, because it has the potential for the similar qualities.
Thanks MeeWah.
Yes, the time & energy are my problem. After finishing this one, I found it took about twice as long as my original guess/estimate. I use a brayer (rubber roller) and waterbased block printing ink to maintain better control and consistency.

hannahma said:
I want one!
Thanks for the encouragement, Hannanma.

Debra said:
We did the same and found that other root veggies (carrots and jicama) also worked well for holding the right amount of paint...it helps to put the paint on a sponge and then use that as a stamp pad. Everyone should do it--it's easy and fun, better than watching tv, say. But our little stars and moons can't hold a candle to this wonderful Marseilles image!
Thanks Debra!
A sponge sounds pretty good, but I used a roller to keep it as even as possible, and allow for better predictability with the transparency on the overlap. It also allowed the background blend. (I should confess here that I have done several traditional woodcuts, and came into potatos from that experience, rather than the more usual other way 'round. :)) Anyway, I'm glad you like it

Chronata said:
oh...now you HAVE to continue this project...

don't abandon it completely...

It is absolutely as awesome as I suspected it might be!
Thanks Chronata!
That's very kind of you.

Pumpkin said:
It's a lovely card.
Thank you Pumpkin.

OnePotato

So anyway, thank you all for the kind encouragement!
Obviously, it would make a lot more sense to do this as woodblock, or linoleum, or even silkscreen.
But it just wouldn't be the same... ;)

I guess I will give it another go, and see if I can keep it going in the background of some other things that I have going on.
I'll post the next one when it happens....

Thanks again,
OnePotato

Chronata

I agree! You could do a wood carving or linoleum print... and I am certain it would be absolutely lovely, as you have such great talent...

but there's something so wonderful in the idea of a potato tarot!

It has that ephemeral quality... something so beautiful as well as off-beat...having to be accomplished in a limited amount of time...

and the organic nature of it is really wonderful too.

I do hope to see you try this again! I would love to see more!