The Wild Unknown Tarot

Madrigal

As I was taught, lived, and breathed Rider-Waite, the Wild Unknown was a big departure from familiarity for me. I certainly loved the imagery, but what really hooked me was that unlike the Rider and its numerous clones, this deck made me look at tarot in an entirely different way.... and I viewed this as a very positive thing. Reading with this was a totally new experience for me and rather forced me to stretch my intuitive muscles as opposed to simply reading the cards by the "meanings" I had long since learned. This alone has made the deck invaluable to me and was a long need cure for my tarot "blahs".
Michael

This is what has me on the fence about this deck. I'm slowly refinding my way back into the Tarot after a couple of decades absence from it and the RWS has always been my benchmark for interpretations. Yes, I know round here that's a bit archaic ;)

Anyway, Calcifer, it's encouraging to hear you describe TWU this way. At first this deck didn't draw me but it keeps cropping up in my psyche and it is sooooo loved here that i felt I needed to take a second look. I sense this is a deck that could be used for quite different issues than one might use a RWS for and that could be helpful. But one of the things I'm finding this second go-round is how incredibly helpful it is to look at the same card from a myriad of interpretations. Thankfully apps allow this at a relatively small expense but it's also nice to be able to compare side by side which is how I'm going about things now.

Anyway this thread has almost fully enabled me.

Padma

I do love the Majors in this deck so much - sadly the Minors kind of put me off...I may get it anyways, and do Majors-only readings with it...still on the fence with this one.

MandMaud

I like the courts very much, and they're about as difficult to distinguish from each other as courts in any other deck - like many, I'm not great at courts! The only minors I'm struggling with are the abstract ones, those with only symbols and no animals. But for now, I'm reading them as I would a Marseilles-style deck and that will do until I'm much more familiar with the WU.

Having thought of it as predominantly black and white, now it's in my hands I keep being surprised how much colour is in it! :laugh:

And Madrigal:
how incredibly helpful it is to look at the same card from a myriad of interpretations. Thankfully apps allow this at a relatively small expense but
"Relatively small expense" if you don't count the smartphone itself! lol

Madrigal

And Madrigal: "Relatively small expense" if you don't count the smartphone itself! lol

True enough, MandMaud. Perspective brings it all to the fore, doesn't it :D

As for the deck I think I'm going to go ahead and click submit. I've done enough googling, blog-post reading and image viewing to feel moderately informed about this intriguing Creature. I may post back with my impressions upon receipt.

Laura Borealis

I like the courts very much, and they're about as difficult to distinguish from each other as courts in any other deck - like many, I'm not great at courts! The only minors I'm struggling with are the abstract ones, those with only symbols and no animals. But for now, I'm reading them as I would a Marseilles-style deck and that will do until I'm much more familiar with the WU.

Having thought of it as predominantly black and white, now it's in my hands I keep being surprised how much colour is in it! :laugh:

Some people here have added color to theirs, with colored pencil and such; that could be a way to add something to those cards that are a little too abstract, especially if you stuck to a system of color symbolism that makes sense to you (like green for creativity, blue for emotions, etc)

MandMaud

Some people here have added color to theirs, with colored pencil and such; that could be a way to add something to those cards that are a little too abstract, especially if you stuck to a system of color symbolism that makes sense to you (like green for creativity, blue for emotions, etc)
Oh, I saw those - very impressed - but I don't think doing that is for me, even if I felt confident about not ruining the deck for myself.

If I ever did, I'd wait until I had a clear idea of how the colours already used work with the meanings - I'm pretty sure there's a system to them. At least, I take a coloured area to mean that part of the image is important, that's where the energy "buzzes", or symbolises more than what it literally is.

For example the tree's roots in the 6 of Cups are multicoloured, but in the Empress it's the tips of the branches that glow. (The most puzzling card at the moment, in respect of colouring, is the Devil, the goat with coloured feet. :))

@ Madrigal: It will be good to hear your impressions! :)

Madrigal

@ Madrigal: It will be good to hear your impressions! :)

It's winging its way to me and will likely be here early next week. I already feel a relationship being established with this deck though I have yet to hold it in my hands. Which is intriguing...and says much about the deck.

Pixna

If I ever did, I'd wait until I had a clear idea of how the colours already used work with the meanings - I'm pretty sure there's a system to them. At least, I take a coloured area to mean that part of the image is important, that's where the energy "buzzes", or symbolises more than what it literally is.

For example the tree's roots in the 6 of Cups are multicoloured, but in the Empress it's the tips of the branches that glow. (The most puzzling card at the moment, in respect of colouring, is the Devil, the goat with coloured feet. :))

Excellent observations, MandMaud! I hadn't thought of the color quite that way, so that gives me a new perspective that I appreciate.

Head on over to the study group to hear what folks have said about the Devil's burning feet. :)

Mariqueen

Has anyone gotten the app for this deck? Thoughts??