The Wild Unknown Tarot

MsRed

Funny story about this deck I forgot to post about. So my sister was the one who pointed me to this deck and the site and upon looking at it, I bought it and the guidebook without second thought. After receiving it and looking at the cards, I decided it's super hipster and told my sister that and she got so mad and I was like "no really, I swear it looks like something urban outfitters would sell". Then about two months later, me and my mom go out to dinner and after dinner we walked around the mall a bit and passed urban outfitters and what was on display in the window? The Wild Unknown deck, so I take picture and send it to my sister and I was all WHAT DID I SAY????? and yeah, it epic indeed.

I read this post a couple of days ago and thought "too bad there is no Urban Outfitters close to where I live" (there are not so many stores in Germany - yet). There are no German stockists and to get the deck I would have to order from the UK or US and I'm too lazy to do that.
Fast forward until today, when my husband and I decided spontaneously to spend the day in Munich (about 2.5 hours by car from where we live). I saw an Urban Outfitters in the city center, went inside, felt like I'd raise the average age about five years and was after two minutes ready to turn around and leave again. After all, why would German UO sell a US Tarot Deck? No way ... But then, in between coffee mugs, stationary and a porcelain cow skull - one single pack of Wild Unknown cards! I literally could not believe my eyes and grabbed it immediately. It was either the very last deck or another costumer put it there, I could not find the shelf where the decks are usually stocked. I'm
So happy!! I can't wait to get to know this deck! :)

MandMaud

I read this post a couple of days ago and thought "too bad there is no Urban Outfitters close to where I live" (there are not so many stores in Germany - yet). There are no German stockists and to get the deck I would have to order from the UK or US and I'm too lazy to do that.
Fast forward until today, when my husband and I decided spontaneously to spend the day in Munich (about 2.5 hours by car from where we live). I saw an Urban Outfitters in the city center, went inside, felt like I'd raise the average age about five years and was after two minutes ready to turn around and leave again. After all, why would German UO sell a US Tarot Deck? No way ... But then, in between coffee mugs, stationary and a porcelain cow skull - one single pack of Wild Unknown cards! I literally could not believe my eyes and grabbed it immediately. It was either the very last deck or another costumer put it there, I could not find the shelf where the decks are usually stocked. I'm
So happy!! I can't wait to get to know this deck! :)

That deck must have been waiting for you! Wonderful! I love it when things like this happen. :)

(We're having a holiday in Munich this autumn, my first visit to Germany. :))

MandMaud

PS. I had a look at the Urban Outfitters because I'd never heard of them (turns out they have no stores anywhere near me so that's why). The deck is on the UK website - so that gave me an idea, and I found it on the German website as well. http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/de/catalog/search.jsp?q=tarot#/

Obviously you no longer need to order within Germany, MsRed, but I thought I'd share for people in other countries as this probably means it's available in those too. (Wikipedia says UO "operates in the United States, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Germany, Ireland, the Netherlands, Sweden, and the United Kingdom.") :)

MsRed

That deck must have been waiting for you! Wonderful! I love it when things like this happen. :)

(We're having a holiday in Munich this autumn, my first visit to Germany. :))

That's exactly what I thought, too! :) It is meant to be mine, so I should overlook the really high price and the fact that I decided to get more into Lenormand before buying another tarot deck ...

Munich is a very nice city, I hope you enjoy your time there! Although I must confess I like Berlin much more! :)
Thank you for doing the UO research! I never thought about checking out the online store! But I'm glad that I "found" my deck the way I did today!

Pixna

MsRed, that is so cool! It's amazing when destiny fulfills itself, and the deck was definitely your destiny. I hope you enjoy it as much I've enjoyed mine!

Cocobird55

Very cool to find it in an actual store!

DaughterOfDanu

I'd known about the Wild Unknown for a while but I've been debating about getting a copy since February/Early March. Since the minors aren't fully illustrated it throws me off a little as to how much I'll be able to pick up on with it. But I splurged as a reward for passing my super difficult semester and am really excited about getting a copy. It should be here sometime next week. The art really won me over along with reading the reviews. I just hope I'll be able to connect with it.

Cocobird55

Wild Unknown

I was on the fence about it for a long time too, until someone used it for a reading she gave me.

I haven't tried to read with mine yet, but I've been looking through the cards. It seems much less intimidating.

DaughterOfDanu

I got mine in today and began journaling the first card I pulled- Son of Wands.

It took some time to really sit there and let the cards speak to me. Perhaps because my favorite decks (Shadowscapes, Zombie Tarot, Baroque Bohemian Cats) all are very illustrated while this deck is minimal with symbolism and scenery.

But soon one thing stuck out, which led to another as I just jotted down what came to me and I found it really delightful. I could see myself getting a lot out of this deck with time and journaling. With writing things down I give myself the time to pick up on things, time which I don't have when giving a face to face reading.

This deck really does tell more than it originally lets on.

I also feel the need to ritualize this deck a little more- cleansings, pairing it with a crystal, etc. The only other deck I really do that with is the Beautiful Creatures, which also has minor pips that aren't fully "illustrated", the minors are more portrait artwork than full on scenes with it. Maybe it's because the lack of telling illustration gives off a more mystical/mysterious feel. Anyone else find themselves going the extra mile with this deck?

nisaba

Since the minors aren't fully illustrated it throws me off a little as to how much I'll be able to pick up on with it.

You'll find it easier than you expect. They give you a mood, a feel.

My acolyte fell in love with the whole deck and bought it after seeing ONLY the Three Wands, and he's about to have that card tattooed onto him as his first and last ink job.

In any case, if you fall in love with a deck enough, it motivates you to work out your own system for reading "unillustrated" pips. My "gateway deck" in that sense was Scapini's Vetrate deck: I fell so in love with the rich colours and stained glass presentation that I *had* top find some way of reading unillustrated pips, and came up with my own system. That led me to being much more comfortable with historical decks. If the Wildwood does for you what the Vetrate did for me, so much the better. :)