There’s a broken wheel on the gurney

nisaba

Debra said:
I don't allow a specific question like "Am I pregnant?" or "Is it cancer?" or "Will I be sued?" but if a general indicator about health or legal stuff comes up, I tell them to be prepared.
I tend to tell them to see professionals.

Hey, I did a reading for my doctor just yesterday. Told her to see a doctor. Amongst other things.

I ended up telling her she really, really needed to lose some weight. <looks down at own blimp-like form>.

Lain_82

The first time I ever saw a tarot reader, she told me to pick a random card, for free. Then she told me that I was doomed to live a frustrated love life, that I would never be happy in that department.

My self steem has never been high, and on that period it crashed. My friends told me that the reader was a fraud, and I knew that Tarot couldn't possibly be about that at all (dooming people) and yet, I was afraid. She sounded so seriuos...

I also did a pregnancy reading once, and it almost cost me a life long friendship. And there's this channel "Signos" where people call to get tarot readings, and I saw once how a reader told a weeping woman that the "surrounding" energies of her unborn son would be greatly damaged if she didn't perform a specific ritual, and divorced her husband. I mean, is that responsible???? she didn't say "your baby will die" but if that wasn't close, I don't know what is.

I understand when people think that readings about this issues aren't terribly important, that most people will still go and do whatever they want regardless of what was said in the session, but still, even because of the few that will take those words by heart, we need to be responsible.

Kibeth

nisaba said:
If she was fishing to see if I was a shonk who would recommend putting myself in her will, it backfired. I didn't. In fact, under no circumstances would I accept a hypothetical bequest from her - she was just this side short of evil. I'm pretty sure she was asking me how long "the old coot" would live because she was already poisoning him and wanted to know how long it would take.

One of the toughest situations I've been in that involved a deck of cards.

Interesting!

But what really defines evil? When I was a still a child (M Cancerian) I could see darkness in everyone's hearts so if I met that same old lady back then, she would probably be a dime a dozen. What is an evil person in a world full of evil? Just another .....

Rightfully, I'm supposed to pass some hackneyed old black or white binary judgement on a person in a society that rejects the "gray areas". How is one to judge what is right or wrong when they don't know better?

My natural tendencies is to go against the grain. However the cards I will contradict not, for they possess more sense and reach people in ways I never could. A sitter may ask a question, any question, and I promise naught but a faithful rendition knowing the cards will always have more grace than I do.

When I've settled down in this pattern of thought, and that it's clear the table has just the cards, the sitter and the impartial translator for someone who didn't memorize the meanings, the situation gets a lot less complex.

Welf

Umbrae said:
Has everybody lost their minds?

Personally, I think it’s an incredibly dangerous trend. It’s egotistical, it’s stupid, and it is irresponsible.

I think we’ve lost a lot of wisdom with our knowledge.
I may be new to this forum, but am not new to Tarot. To be honest, some of the stuff I have read here since I joined is sort of like... errr... duh... And some is enlightening and I've gained some good insights as well as had a few good cringes.

Now for some speculation, though it may be somewhat of an exaggeration... You ask, has everybody lost their minds? Seems to be the general way of the modern world today, becoming more obvious as life grows in complexity and competativeness is encouraged as a requisite for basic survival...

Not only amongst Tarot readers, but amongst psychics, religious and spiritual groups, UFO abductees or amongst any 'group' who believe they have access to some 'special' knowledge which is seen as being denied to the average person outside the 'group'. Thus there's tarot readers (psychics etc) who appear to believe they possess god like qualities because they know how to divine or read the cards. Thus some believe they have more accurate access to medical and legal outcomes than those professionals who work in those fields....

Is it not, that we like to be more aware than the rest of them unenlighted ones out there? Geez... I want to be different, I want to be just like you... It's my right towards self development and spiritual growth... The cards don't lie, they tell the truth, thus as the reader, I'm not responsible for the truth of what the cards say. Why blame me? I'm just the Messenger of those cards so you can be enlightened and see the truth...

Sort of like displays of various degrees of the messiah complex and superiority, egostism, self worth issues. It is said, that the superiority and inferiority complex can be found together as different expressions of the same pathology and both complexes can exist within the same individual. Go with the flow, develop a complex.. People being what people are, I figure that none of us are exempt from developing some sort of a self delusion, even if it is minor and unnoticeable...

You say, I think we’ve lost a lot of wisdom with our knowledge... I say, we appear to live in a throw away wasteful type society which on average, encourages mediocrity. A society where constant stimulation and change is encouraged and a society like that has little need for the ways of wisdom once the knowledge is gained.

Don't you know.... Love spells and health cures come packaged in little sparkling gold, black velvet, spiritually blessed draw string bags bought at ebay and paid for through payapal... Why move any further than the computer when secret knowledge can be bought there for a dollar?

The Old Wise Ones are slowly becoming displaced and live in places with unemployed signs on their doors.

For they be too humble to survive amid today's values and ways?

Welf

nisaba

Lain_82 said:
The first time I ever saw a tarot reader, she told me to pick a random card, for free. Then she told me that I was doomed to live a frustrated love life, that I would never be happy in that department.
That's your cue to walk out, without even commenting.

If I ever say that to anyone, shoot me. Bury me in the compost heap - I might as well be useful in death.

Grizabella

I think it's just common sense. It's extremely egotistical and reckless to assume we're going to be anywhere near 100% accurate so to read on something vital like someone's health or whether someone's husband is cheating or something like that is not something I can do with a clear conscience. My gut just tells me when something isn't right to do and I think any good reader has the same instincts if they'll just listen to them.

I replied to one in the Your Readings forum where someone wanted to know if her boyfriend cheated at a bachelor party because to me, the answer was decidedly "no", but the girl seemed to be convinced he had cheated. If I had seen that he did cheat, I'd have probably just passed on by on that one.

I'm always stating my opinions around here about things I see people doing that I don't think are so cool, but in reality, when push comes to shove, I don't think it's our right or our place to tell other people how they can read the cards. Of course, we do have to speak up about things they're doing that are harmful, dishonest, or border on counseling without a license and other stuff that's just downright wrong. However, just because a reader chooses to read for others about topics we don't personally choose to do, does that give any of us the right to step in as Big Brother and say "no, you can't do that."?

What disturbs me more than anything right now is seeing the burgeoning trend toward one group of readers electing themselves the Grand Poobah's of Tarot Reading and the End All Be All Masters of All That's Tarot so that we're all going to need certification given by such self-elected individuals in order to be deemed good enough and obedient enough to get "certified".

As someone else said, I'm not a lawyer so I don't give legal advice, I'm not a licensed counselor so I don't try to act in the place of one, and I'm not a doctor so I don't give medical diagnoses based on what's in the cards as I read them, because I'm humble enough to know I could very well be wrong in my reading. But I'm not going to go whack someone one the head if they're doing it. Live and let live. I'd rather teach by example instead of becoming a member of the Tarot Dictatorship.

Indigo Rose

Umbrae said:
Tarot is NOT A TOY.

Care in how we treat others, is what the ‘Do no harm’ thing is all about. We cannot CARE for others, if we continue to behave in irresponsible ways.

The EMOTIONS of OTHERS are not a toy.

Well said, Umbrae. Reading for someone else is a big responsibility, and should not be taken lightly...EVER! While I don't agree with the entirety of your post, I feel the call to accept personal responsibility a timely one indeed.
When I was a new reader I had very different views than I do now; on readings and life in general. That was 9 long years ago. I have grown. Though I've always taken readings seriously, I haven't always had such clear boundaries. In this way, much grace is given to others who are starting out. They haven't learned their own boundaries yet. We all have to learn; this is part of the journey. I appreciate your admonishments. It is hoped that both 'newbies' and seasoned readers alike will discern the most important element of your message: TO CARE! :heart:

Welf

Grizabella said:
As someone else said, I'm not a lawyer so I don't give legal advice, I'm not a licensed counselor so I don't try to act in the place of one, and I'm not a doctor so I don't give medical diagnoses based on what's in the cards as I read them, because I'm humble enough to know I could very well be wrong in my reading.
My sentiments also, you've said it all in a nutshell....

There are some horrible experiences posted up in this thread. They really do show how one simple card reading can impact a person badly and create more harm that good. I imagine what we read here in this forum is only the tip of the iceburg.

Welf

Lain_82

Grizabella said:
I'm always stating my opinions around here about things I see people doing that I don't think are so cool, but in reality, when push comes to shove, I don't think it's our right or our place to tell other people how they can read the cards. Of course, we do have to speak up about things they're doing that are harmful, dishonest, or border on counseling without a license and other stuff that's just downright wrong. However, just because a reader chooses to read for others about topics we don't personally choose to do, does that give any of us the right to step in as Big Brother and say "no, you can't do that."?

What disturbs me more than anything right now is seeing the burgeoning trend toward one group of readers electing themselves the Grand Poobah's of Tarot Reading and the End All Be All Masters of All That's Tarot so that we're all going to need certification given by such self-elected individuals in order to be deemed good enough and obedient enough to get "certified".

As someone else said, I'm not a lawyer so I don't give legal advice, I'm not a licensed counselor so I don't try to act in the place of one, and I'm not a doctor so I don't give medical diagnoses based on what's in the cards as I read them, because I'm humble enough to know I could very well be wrong in my reading. But I'm not going to go whack someone one the head if they're doing it. Live and let live. I'd rather teach by example instead of being the Tarot Dictatorship.

Well put. Everyone learns in a different ways. I've had (like I said somewhere above) some bad experiences with specific subjects, and I learned the hard way that some things are better left to those who know, but your post made me realize that we don't live in a black and white world.

My city has this big place called "The temple of the amazonic indian" or something like that. It's a tabu place, with a gigantic buda outside and halloween bats on the ceiling. I went once, out of curiosity, and talked to some of the people there. One of the services they provide is tarot reading. (the decks they sell are so expensive...) The woman I was talking with said that their readings were so accurated, and that they sold potions and herbs that were so powerful, that people didn't need common science to help them. They could give you the health that no doctor could ever guarantee. It's their point of view, and have posters everywhere saying how grateful their customers are, but I wouldn't be comfortable providing that type of service. However, I don't think that I could go up there and tell them that they are doing evil things, and demand that they stop doing them. I can just see, learn, and choose to not follow the same path. Others don't, but that also has to do with your own personality, beliefs and experience.

Another thought: Many people don't know anything about tarot, except that it involves weird looking cards and someone who "reads" them. I want their first experience to help them see that Tarot isn't what tv and movies say, but a far more deep and rich process. I don't want to go around predicting pregnancies and health treatment outcomes, I want to help you understand the changes in your life, help you to be happier right now, to gain some perspective. If you choose to let me in, then I have the responsability to work with all my abilities, knowing my boundaries and setting limits. This protects the sitter as well as myself. But that's my personal motivation for reading tarot, many will disagree. I guess that the point I'm trying to make is that we all need to take some time and analyze what our motivations are. Then, we think about what we would, and would not, be willing to do to match those motivations, and then act accordingly.

(sorry for the terrible english, I just got up and haven't had breakfast)

Grizabella

Lain_82 said:
My city has this big place called "The temple of the amazonic indian" or something like that. It's a tabu place, with a gigantic buda outside and halloween bats on the ceiling. I went once, out of curiosity, and talked to some of the people there. One of the services they provide is tarot reading. (the decks they sell are so expensive...) The woman I was talking with said that their readings were so accurated, and that they sold potions and herbs that were so powerful, that people didn't need common science to help them. They could give you the health that no doctor could ever guarantee. It's their point of view, and have posters everywhere saying how grateful their customers are, but I wouldn't be comfortable providing that type of service. However, I don't think that I could go up there and tell them that they are doing evil things, and demand that they stop doing them. I can just see, learn, and choose to not follow the same path. Others don't, but that also has to do with your own personality, beliefs and experience.

Well, I do have to say that this would be one of the things I'd speak out against. I wouldn't go camp on their steps and blast it out with a megaphone, but nobody who knew me or sat for me would mistake me for having the same practices.

However, it's a cultural thing, I think. Wouldn't you say so, Lain? It's something that's part of the belief system of certain people of your country. I'm reminded of the Europeans who came to America and immediately started to force Native Americans to adopt Christian beliefs, which they've also done in so many other countries. Teach by example because that's going to win out over time. That's the most powerful. Deciding you're going to force everyone into the same Tarot mold just because of your personal beliefs will just cause those who disagree with you to hold more stubbornly to their beliefs.