Those non-reversible backs...

marimorimo

Do they bother you?

Some of my favorite decks (Alchemical, Steampunk, Osho Zen, Origins) have non-reversible backs, and as a reversed card reader, it's given me a dilemma.

I assume that if a the back is non-reversible, then the creator meant the deck to be read all upright. But when a reader such as myself wants to use reversals, we are confronted with the certainty of which card is upright or not (thus possibly influencing which cards are chosen), or the nagging feeling of knowing the dignities of the cards even before turning them over.

If anyone has found a workaround for this dilemma, please let me know.

gregory

I don't see why it matters knowing the orientation/dignity before you turn it over. Both are the same after as before, if you see what I mean... That said - I don't use reversals - and I don't like non reversible backs either - go figure !

rwcarter

If knowing whether the card that's about to be chosen is reversed bothers you as a Reader or the Querent, have whoever does the card picking/cutting/dealing/choosing do so with their eyes closed.

There are some cards that folks would usually rather see reversed than upright....

ThunderWolf

I don't use reversals either (unless by some fluke one particular card get's reversed: I shuffle to keep them upright.).

Another thing I don't do that I think would help (at least with these particular decks) is to fan out the deck and select the cards individually. I just shuffle until it "feels right". Then I cut the deck and deal the cards in the order they come up.

I can understand not wanting to change the way you do it, but you might at least consider trying it for these specific decks. You might want to just look at it like a tarot exercise as a way to expand upon what you already do too.

Le Fanu

when reviews get onto the reversible/non-reversible issue my eyes glaze over...

marimorimo

I usually fan the cards, which is why non-reversible backs are a big deal to me.

I guess I should just deal the cards in the order they come up. I do that sometimes. Not very happy with it, though, as for me the whole dithering about which card to pick adds to the suspense, mystery, and mystique :D

I've just decided: unless a deck totally blows me away, I am going to skip decks with non-reversible backs. This would cut down my wish list considerably, so it would also be economical in the long run :D

nisaba

Do they bother you?

Some of my favorite decks (Alchemical, Steampunk, Osho Zen, Origins) have non-reversible backs, and as a reversed card reader, it's given me a dilemma.

I assume that if a the back is non-reversible, then the creator meant the deck to be read all upright. But when a reader such as myself wants to use reversals, we are confronted with the certainty of which card is upright or not (thus possibly influencing which cards are chosen), or the nagging feeling of knowing the dignities of the cards even before turning them over.

I like non-reversible backs. As a fully-qualified klutz, I occasionally drop a whole deck and they go everywhere. It's faster to get them all upright (I don't choose to read reversals) if I am looking at identical cardbacks that have an obvious up and down, than if my brain has to process different images every time.

As to reading reversals, why does it matter about the backs? I shuffle (or get the client to shuffle), cut (or get the client to cut into four), then pull cards sequentially off the top. Reversed or upright, a decent shuffle always puts the cards you need on top of the stack.

Kitichi

Funny enough, my two tarot decks have reversible backs, but I don't read either of them reversed (one deck says it wasn't created to be read reversed, the other I just choose not to). I have 2 oracle decks, both of which were intended to be read reversed, and both of which have non-reversible backs. Come to think of it, my old tarot deck (which I no longer use, at least for the foreseeable future) was made to be reversed, but has non-reversible backs. I don't know if the card is reversed or not, until I have pulled them and put them in the spread, but it still kind of bothers me. I try not to see reversed cards as negatives, but I can't help myself!

tarot heart

Funny enough, my two tarot decks have reversible backs, but I don't read either of them reversed (one deck says it wasn't created to be read reversed, the other I just choose not to). I have 2 oracle decks, both of which were intended to be read reversed, and both of which have non-reversible backs. Come to think of it, my old tarot deck (which I no longer use, at least for the foreseeable future) was made to be reversed, but has non-reversible backs. I don't know if the card is reversed or not, until I have pulled them and put them in the spread, but it still kind of bothers me. I try not to see reversed cards as negatives, but I can't help myself!

Out of pure curiousity, which decks are you referring to? :)

Myself, I could care less if backs are reversible or not...however, I do like a nice, well thought out back that goes with the deck's fronts.

Kitichi

My tarot decks are Shadowscapes (not intended to be reversed), Ferret, and the 3rd which I don't use is Isis. My oracles are Wild Wisdom of the Faery Oracle and Wisdom of the Hidden Realms