UK Cencus NOT to count Pagans!

Kiama

After so many of us put down our 'alternative' beliefs on the UK census, the big cheeses have decided that, although it did get enough votes to become a recognised religion, it is not going to be given its own code. It will be counted under 'Other', along with all religions except Christianity, Judaism, Sikhism, Islam, Hindudism, and Buddhism...

Aw geez.... Now I'm annoyed!

Celtic Pagan, Druid, Wiccan, all got enough votes to get their own codes, but they haven't been given one!

Kiama

New River

this is outrageous isn't it?

well, they may count us out but they cannot count us down.

maybe they are afraid they will find more of us than they expected?

i hope so!

love, light and hope, New River

Talisman

'Lo all,

"Maybe they are afraid they will find more of us than they expected? " -- New River

My curiousity about this very thing was triggered this week when I recieved the FREE "New Worlds" catalog/magazine Llewellyn will send if you request it.

(First of all, how do you pronounce "Wicca." When I first encountered the word, I thought "Wick-Ah." Now, that can't be right. Must be "witch-uh," huh? I can still make my ears burn when I recall how, long ago, when I was a boy, I tried to impress a girl by referring to the "Fay-Cod" of a building. Well known architectural term.)

Anyway, the lead editorial in New Worlds, by Carl Llewellyn Weschke titled "Wicca & Witchcraft -- Self-Help and Magick," talks about moving into the mainstream of the British and American religious movement.

(Don't know about Wicca, but, I think they put that "K" in magic to make it sound more impressive.)

Let me quote a bit:

"Wicca IS a religion; some claim it to be the fastest growing religious movement in America today. They cannot offer statistical proof for the statement, however, for the fundamental reason that Wicca is a non-institutional religion. We don't have an 'official' registration for Wiccan clergy or covens or believers. And that's the rub as far as most people are concerned. How can we have a religion that is 'outside the box' by which other religions are measured?"

I found the entire editorial provocative.

So, with New River's question -- How many? -- on my mind, I turned to Goooooooogle (gotta' love that thing.)

I'm gonna post this, 'cause my computer keeps crashing, and then continue. Sorry . . .

Talisman

Talisman

To continue . . .

(I'm pursuing New River's statement)

Asking Goooooogle how many Wiccas are there, the best thing I Goooogled up was a really intelligent article citing many sources and which concluded, "who knows?"

There are either 14 of you making a very loud noise, or 40 million of you being very quite. Or, something.

One funny thing was a university in New York state which conducted a telephone survey.

Imagine this scenario: The telephone rings, you pick it up and answer, and a strange voice asks: "Are you a witch?"

Even better, imagine this New River-inspired scenario: (You gotta think USA, where vote hungry politicians wrap themselves in the American flag and proclaim that God is on their side) --

"I believe in this great country, and all of you who believe in the All Mighty God, and (mumbly-de-mumbldy -- 'cause you gotta mutter 'cause the fair-to-middlin' Religious Right is a powerful force and iffin they catch a witch, they'll burn her, sure 'nuff) all you, uh, Wick-Ahs, Ahem!, will carry our cause -- And Me! -- to glorious victory."

Oh, I can't wait for the day!

New River, they don't want to know.

But I do.

Talisman

Kiama

Aw, Talisman, you're making me laugh again! (I probably owe you or the extra years that have been added to my life cuz of all that serotonin flooting around my body whenever I read your posts!)

Thankyou!

Kiama

kayne

In Australia before the last census there was an email forward circulating encouraging everyone to say their religion was Jedi (As in Star Wars)... If their were over 10 000 Australian Jedi's it would be given an official number and be a recognised religion in Australia.

Guess what - there were over 10 000 Jedi's! I think they got there number but I don't think it is officially a religion... They must have decided it was all too silly... :p

Kiama

I read recently that the people who put Jedi as their religion could be faced with explaining themselves to the authorites, cuz it is illegal to put down incorrect information about yourself on the census form... Although how they're gonna get round to speaking to all 10,000 of the beats me!

Kiama

arizonagirl

This is interesting. . .the US Census in 2000 didn't ask about religious preferences. The long form did ask some pretty intrusive questions, but nothing about religion. Hmmm. Maybe because of the tenet of separation of church and state. I dunno.

blumoon

Quote:Originally posted by kayne
In Australia before the last census there was an email forward circulating encouraging everyone to say their religion was Jedi (As in Star Wars)... If their were over 10 000 Australian Jedi's it would be given an official number and be a recognised religion in Australia.

Guess what - there were over 10 000 Jedi's! I think they got there number but I don't think it is officially a religion... They must have decided it was all too silly... :p
that's very interesting..i didnt know they got their quota of jedi's here! LOL...i decided to put jungian instead :p

Malachite

They can't actually prevent you from writing down any religious preference you choose, even if you make it up...If they investigate, and decide that 'Jedi' is made up, they still can't do anything, because of the religious toleration acts...
They don;t have to acknowledge it, but they can't legislate against it, either...

To be honest, whether pagan is recognised on the census doesn't really make much difference...Most ordinary people (here, anyways,) find it interesting enough to tolerate it...They days of being burnt at the stake are gone, methinks...
Although being Pagan in Alabama might still be a difficult journey...