WHAT DO YOU DO WHEN YOU HAVE LOST YOUR SPIRITUAL MENTOR?

goldie

GREETINGS EVERYONE,

Today I was called and informed that my spiritual mentor and dear friend, was taken into the world of shadows, I will miss him terriblely, He showed me how to believe in myself, and how there is wisdom in the craft, he taught me , more about myself than any other person, I feel a great loss, not like my childrens loss, but like a loss to all those that never got to hear his stories, and antidotes for all of lifes ups and downs. Baba Kabiesi Opeodu , will be missed in this world but he will triumph in the world of shadows. BE AT PEACE MY FATHER, MY BROTHER , MY FRIEND!

Pollux

Well, I envy you :'(
I never really had a Spiritual Mentor, and I've always wanted one.
My mentors are Meewah, tarotbear, AcquarianGoddess (i'l only name some, of course! :) and all the beautiful and incommensurably gorgeous people on these forums!!!!!!!!

Malachite

may he find peace...

;)

New River

and may you find peace as well my friend.

love, light and hope, New River

Scorpion

Hi, Goldie - sorry to hear of your loss.

I have been lucky, my mentor is still here - although in his 80s now. I know that when he goes I will find it no easier than you are.

I am sure that he taught you well and has been able to go on his way with that knowledge. It was his time and as he was wise he will have accepted that, which is not to say he wouldn't have been sorry to leave you. I don't believe our loved ones go far away - no further than a thought, in fact. Of course, you must grieve for the fact that he is no longer on this plane but I am sure that given time he will be able to reach through to you and reassure you that he has not deserted you - you may feel his presence in a favourite place, for instance. A friend has a rather touching belief - that we go on to become real stars in the night sky waiting for our loved ones to join us. I like that!

Liliana

Maybe he's teaching a whole new group of students in a whole new place, why don't you share with us some of his stories that you are sad no one else will hear, then through you his wisdom will live on

amyel

Quote:Liliana (06 Feb, 2002 09:20):
Maybe he's teaching a whole new group of students in a whole new place, why don't you share with us some of his stories that you are sad no one else will hear, then through you his wisdom will live on

I am sorry to hear of your loss, Goldie.

Yes, Goldie, please do share some of his stories with us, if you'd like. I've never had a spiritual mentor either, and I agree this would be a lovely tribute. Only if you feel up to it, of course. I have lost a number of close people in my life, and I find that being able to share their lives with others helps with the grieving process. What a wonderful thought, Liliana!

Many many years ago, I dated a Cree native. When he died in a car crash, his mokum (grandmum) told me not to cry at night because it would tie his spirit to the earthly plain and he would not be able to pass to the spiritual world. At the time, this seemed very harsh to me - but we spent the days sharing stories of his life, and I found it very healing.

MeeWah

Goldie: I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Perhaps remembering how much your life has been enriched by his special knowledge will be of comfort. A part of him lives on within you. Spiritual teachers live on through their teachings, their students, the lives they touch.
When you are able to, you might want to record some of his teachings for yourself & others.
Pollux: How kind of you, & thank you! We are each in our way teachers/mentors.

truthsayer

((((((((((((((((((((((((goldie)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) i'm so sorry for your loss. spiritual mentors never die. they just go to heaven to regroup. perhaps this is a sign that when you are ready you've come to the point in your life that the student becomes the teacher. my fav poem on death--maybe it'll help.
don not stand at my grave and weep
i am not there. i do not sleep.

i am a thousand winds that blow.
i am the diamond glint on snow.

i am the sunlight on ripened grain.
i am the gentle autumn rain.

when you wake in the morning hush
i am the swift, uplifting rush
of quiet birds in circling flight.
i am the soft starlight at night.

do not stand at my grave
and weep.
i am not there. i do not sleep.
anonymous

not that it's the same as losing a human being, my cats have often been my spiritual mentors and losing one is intensely painful. i also feel the same about my grandmother who died 27 years ago. i find that remembering them w/ writing, pictures, and drawings are one way to keep them alive in memory and continue life w/ me. if not in their physical body, those reminders keep them w/ me in spirit. write letters to his spirit to tell him know about how you feel. you might be surprized how healing that is. i also draw out feelings. when you feel ready, you can share memories about him w/ us and continue his legacy of love and wisdom thru your words to honor, respect and commemorate his life.

jade

perhaps it is time for you to become a mentor to others..........carrying on his stories, experiences and enlightenment. :)

in light,
jade