What's your tarot story?

Aina

Some amazing stories here, to be sure. Mine is quite pedestrian by comparison.

When I was a child my family would drive to a public library each fortnight where I would find interest in lots of different things but at one stage ended up in the mythology section where I borrowed lots of Greek, Roman, Egyptian, Celtic... I felt most drawn to the Celtic I suppose because I have Welsh heritage on both sides of my ancestry plus a bit of Scots and English - typical British mixed breed.

In my teens, a friend's mum had interests in the Theosophical Society and astrology and another friend a bit later showed me his Tarot deck. As I posted elsewhere:

My 22nd year was big looking back. I also began casting astrology charts, read the Tibetan Book of the Dead starting my path in Tibetan Buddhism and read the Magic of Findhorn beginning my interest in New Age philosophies.

In all the years since I have used the Thoth and Voyager decks intermittently along with I Ching and Astrology and recently have become more inspired to broaden and deepen my knowledge in many areas after a period of oppression.

If I'm out and about and my decks aren't handy I'll go on the net to LLewelyn and get a Celtic Cross with the Witches' Tarot. By some standards that deck may appear a little lightweight, even self-indulgent when you read its compiler's story but I like the messages in the interpretations even though I have my own take on the place assignations.

And, of course, the resources here from beginner to magister templi are tremendously helpful in so many ways.

Hey thanks for this story! It wasn't boring at all! I heard a lot about Helena Blavatsky and the Theosophical Society and want to read their books only now (about 15 years after I heard their name). I have never read anything astrology yet but would like to know some for my Minchiate readings and in general...By the way, what do you mean by "a period of oppression"?

Aina

My story is quite boring. And I still don't remember exactly what I saw or read that caused me to go buy that first deck (although I so wish I could remember). Suffice to say that I've always been fascinated with symbolism, and the occult. Ouija boards, ghost stories, spells, all things supernatural. Not that I necessarily believe in such things, but I've just been extremely curious about them since I was a young child. And tarot seemed like the perfect combination of occult and symbolism. So I was instantly intrigued when I stumbled upon it in my studies. I knew my sister (who is 12 years older than me) read tarot, and of course I had heard the word "tarot" before in pop culture. But it wasn't until I came across it later that it all really clicked that this was something I wanted to explore more.

That was all about 7 or so years ago when I was in my mid-20s. After that I went right out and bought a RWS deck and a Thoth deck along with a random tarot book. And the rest is history. I've been hooked ever since!

Thanks a lot for sharing! I sometimes wonder if I am going to be hooked up with tarot for as long as some other people are on AT (for life or so). I wonder where it will lead me. Maybe I think too much (and spoil the fun) but I'm excited to see how it enrolls. Fascination with ghost stories??? Me too, lol. :)

ravenest

My Tarot Story:

Once upon a time there were three Tarot cards, The Papa Card, the ... why is everyone waving their hands wildly in the air? :confused:

:p :p :p

No no ... PLEASE go on - I cant wait to see who 'Goldielocks' turns out to be :laugh:

"And 'she's' still THERE ! "

ravenest

Some amazing stories here, to be sure. Mine is quite pedestrian by comparison.

When I was a child my family would drive to a public library each fortnight where I would find interest in lots of different things but at one stage ended up in the mythology section where I borrowed lots of Greek, Roman, Egyptian, Celtic... .

Your parents DROVE YOU to the library ??? They went in?

I don't think my parents ever went into anything as radical as a LIBRARY!

Was the Gypsy Johns shop down a sort of mall in a side street with big glass windows across the front of the shop and a few steps going up to the door ? <flashback!>

ravenest

Yes, lol! You get eight of dancing girls and seven of snakes and two of cows and six of elephants :) Would make a great deck!

Sounds like my 'Madam Whatsername's Persian Oracle' deck.

I love the art Madhubani work! (Guys, have a look on google 'Madhubani' > images :thumbsup: )

zhan.thay

Hey thanks for this story! It wasn't boring at all! I heard a lot about Helena Blavatsky and the Theosophical Society and want to read their books only now (about 15 years after I heard their name). I have never read anything astrology yet but would like to know some for my Minchiate readings and in general...By the way, what do you mean by "a period of oppression"?

Briefly, a lot of legal hassle that kept me anxious and depressed, sya

Darkmage

Nah, no need to say sorry. That too was an amazing story! I can imagine the excitement you had when your mother gave you the deck and the book - must have felt great! :)

It probably felt better for her--I wasn't constantly pestering her to play chess or other board games with me. ;) I played with the cards instead, since no power = no Atari or Nintendo. :/

I still have that deck, too. It's been retired though--it's worn and dogeared and lives in a deerskin bag in a box in my closet. I replaced the paperback book with a hardback, too. The RWS is still my go-to deck.

zhan.thay

Your parents DROVE YOU to the library ??? They went in?

I don't think my parents ever went into anything as radical as a LIBRARY!

Was the Gypsy Johns shop down a sort of mall in a side street with big glass windows across the front of the shop and a few steps going up to the door ? <flashback!>

As I remember it, from 37 years ago, it was in Bayswater Rd just off Darlinghurst Rd before Kellett St. Quite close to the Coke sign on the Kingsgate Hotel.

tarotbear

Com'mon, you cannot stop by without telling your story!!! :) What's your story, tarotbear?

(excerpted from the forward to my book: )

I love Tarot; I once purchased a large button at a psychic fair that read, “I like to read books, but I love to read Tarot cards!” My introduction into Tarot was backwards; I was using Tarot cards for other purposes before I started to learn to “read” them. I had bought Tarot Spells by Janina Rene, which featured a then-as-yet-unpublished deck designed by Robin Wood. It was a beautiful deck, to be sure, but I was interested in spell work and not divination at that time.
Eventually, I would hear the call of the cards, but the idea of studying such a large and esoteric subject interested and confused me at the same time. I started to buy other decks to check them out. I found that each deck came packaged with its own “little white booklet” of explanations for card interpretation. Some of the information was very sketchy and poor indeed; was I supposed to learn something from these little booklets? Many of them listed 10 or 12 single word explanations, but none of them helped me to see the whole. To try to learn them this way was very discouraging.
I started to buy books on Tarot, and ran into similar problems--lots of words, but little understanding. I found out the best way to learn Tarot was to go out and do it. I started keeping journals of what the readings said. I did this strictly for myself, since I could not pry myself away from the little white booklet for fear I would say something “wrong.”
One day I was a merchant at a small psychic fair (and not making a cent), but I saw that the readers were busy with people signed up hours ahead of time. A woman hung out at my booth and told me “how disappointed” she was in whatever reading she had just been given; it didn’t “work for her,” she said. I suggested she try something that might answer her question more directly, like Tarot. She disappeared for about an hour and came back and told me that the next psychic “didn’t tell her anything she didn’t already know," as though she was expecting something “mystical” to happen. She asked about the Tarot deck I had for sale and could I do a reading for her–which, of course, I refused to do. First of all, I didn’t like the deck, which is why I was selling it; and second, I did not feel I had enough experience to do a public reading. As the fair ended and I started to pack my unsold merchandise, she appeared again. I decided to give it a try. I took the deck I didn’t like and we went out to the lobby of the hotel, and I did a reading for her. On the first card I said that her situation was work related; she said it wasn’t. I continued through the reading and discovered she was having an affair with a co-worker (the first card–right?). The cards indicated it was foolish and would end in disaster. She paid me and left. Suddenly, I was a reader!

:D

"And the little Tarot card cried:'Whee Whee Whee!' all the way home!"

ravenest

As I remember it, from 37 years ago, it was in Bayswater Rd just off Darlinghurst Rd before Kellett St. Quite close to the Coke sign on the Kingsgate Hotel.

:laugh: Hey Man! My flash backs don't work like that . ... what are you a Virgo or something :laugh:

I thought somehow we might have got our first decks from the same shop ... but I think mine was in an area called the village ? Not near the giant coke sign (um ... to non-Aussies , 'The Cross' isn't THAT bad ; Coca Cola sign i.e.)

And maybe quiet some years apart ?