Which Decks did you get in 2009 that you regret, which are you glad you've gotten?

Queen of Pentacle

Hadar

I just got the Hadar, wixh I wanted for months, and afer opening it, wish I did not buy it.
It is very properly done, of course, the subdued color are nice, but I cannot tell why but i just don't like it.
I thinf I really prefer my Camoin or Spanish tarot de Marseille.

I'll try it tomorrow, but i doubt i'll bound to it.
So I'll priobaly trade it or else.

Hedera

SolSionnach said:
And I'm wondering - what the heck is wrong with the Tarot of Sweet Twilight? So many people found it disappointing...

I'm one of those who found it intensely disappointing...

Although I loved the artwork, and the take on some of the cards, there were just too many cards that felt... forced, somehow. Also, I remember thinking there were either too many or too few people in some of the cards (I traded it away as quickly as I could, the disappointment really stung for some reason, and I wanted it out of the house), which made for odd compositions/juxtapositions.

But what disappointed me most was what felt like a sort of fluffyness to me; TopShop does Tim Burton, that sort of thing.
Too many rosy-cheeked, pouty girls with longs legs in striped stockings.

Nothing wrong with striped stockings, I love wearing them myself, but they became just too much in this deck.

It's a pity, I was really looking forward to it a lot - I'm glad some people still enjoy it so much!

So, Sweet Twilight most disappointing, hands down.

I didn't buy a lot of decks this year, but I am *really* glad I got the Quantum (it ticks a lot of boxes for me, and the artwork and the silver edges are gorgeous. Excellent LWB as well, although ideally that would have been at least 4 times the size that it is).

Also, a very kind member sent me the German Kitty Kahane, which I still love to bits.

SarahRacheal

Very happy to have gotten my mitts on the Greenwood, Paulina, Hermatic and the bigger Thoth in '09

Not so happy with Bohemian gothic (so I traded it) or the Victorian Romantic, it’s not that I’m not a fan of Baba, I love my cats, but these 2 just don’t sit right with me.

I’m with holding judgment on Quantum until I have enough time to really get to know it.

Mojo Twin 2

I'm happy with my purchases in '09 which slowed down considerably. I can honestly say that my purchases are slower and more deliberate so I don't often buy a deck that I don't like.

My favorites were:
Big Thoth for trimming - best deck ever
Chinese Deviant - can't explain but I like this much better than the Italian
Liber T - Finally got it and it's a great companion to Thoth
Kissa - Still not reading well but I love this deck so much
Langustl - Cards are huge but i love the abstract art that hits the subconscious so readily.

OctoberGwen

I bought LOTS of decks in 2009, because I really only got back into tarot last year and went a little mad. I've sold or traded pretty much everything I wasn't delighted with, but the ones that stand out as the biggest disappointments were Vargo's Gothic and the Gilded. So many of the others were merely "meh" for me and I've probably forgotten half of them.

I'm absolutely thrilled with my Bohemian Gothic, my Deviant Moon, and my Phantomwise.

akirafist

Favorites: Thoth (reg size), Mystic Dreamer

Biggest disappointments: Sweet Twilight, Harmonious

Vesper

Applause: Robert Place Vampires, MRP Fairytale, 2nd Ed. Vertigo
Shrug: Lisa Hunt Fairy Tale (found the colors too washed out), Kissa (dunno what it was - it just didn't gel for me.)

I think this year I actually got rid of more decks than I purchased. First time ever.

Le Fanu

I'd forgotten the Place Vampire Deck; great deck, must dig it out more. Of the back catalogue which I bought, I have to say, the Alchemical (Original and Renewed; whichever; as a deck, the subject matter fits perfectly) was a real real winner for me. It was immediately fast-tracked to the top 15 favourites...
Hedera said:
But what disappointed me most was what felt like a sort of fluffyness to me; TopShop does Tim Burton, that sort of thing.
Too many rosy-cheeked, pouty girls with longs legs in striped stockings.
Spot on, Hedera. What I'd always felt. Just too girly. If I didn't have the "odd" misprinted box, I'd trade it, but the collector in me just hangs onto it, God knows why, but I always think there' s a reason...

*does 4 of Pentacles pose*

Libra8ca

I really got back into tarot in 2009 so I bought many decks - too many to list here :D I like most of them, highlights were the MRP decks where I managed to get a copy of each :) as well as the Deviant Moon and Universal Fantasy. The decks that were the most disappointing were the Liber-T (not my style), Crystal (pips are not illustrated well), Radiant Rider Waite (I don't like the backs and they are small and too shiny for my taste).

alice_addams

My favorites I bought in 2009 are the Halloween, Thoth, and Paulina. I'm still on the fence about the Sweet Twilight. It's attractive enough, but no way could I read with it. About 80% of the cards don't click for me at all. So...nice to look at, but ultimately a disappointment. However, the only decks I regret buying are the Zerner-Farber (just yucky, IMO) and the Vampires Tarot of the Eternal Night. I'll keep the Sweet Twilight, but those other two are just waiting for a new home.