Who does NOT combine astrology and tarot?

Carla

Of course, the thread is called "Who does NOT combine astrology and tarot," which probably skews the results :p

I really did just want to know who doesn't use it. So I got the results I was after. :)

starrystarrynight

I don't use astrology with tarot. I do use numerology, elements, color, and imagery on the cards.

Laura Borealis

I really did just want to know who doesn't use it. So I got the results I was after. :)

I know :)

And I don't even really use it, per se -- I'm just trying to learn a bit about it, and how it fits into tarot, because the traditional meanings of the planets and the zodiac are part of the history of western esotericism that I'm interested in (whereas I have zero interest in new-age astrology).

Richard

There are two main traditions in Tarot, the older historic (exemplified by the Tdm), and the more recent Qabalistic (exemplified, for example, by RWS). The relation between historic and Qabalistic Tarot is somewhat analogous to that between Judaism and Christianity. The newer traditions derive from the older, but supposedly are based on a new revelation or insight. In the case of Tarot, the new insight was that there seems to be a correlation between the 22 Trumps, the 22 letters of the Hebrew alphabet, and (consequently) the 22 inter-Sephirotic paths on the Tree of Life. The so-called "astrology" mostly derives from the Sepher Yetzirah, which views the Zodiacal signs and the Ptolemaic planets as metaphors for basic building blocks of reality.

firefrost

What I know about astrology I can write on the back of a stamp, so no, I don't use it in tarot readings.

Carla

There are two main traditions in Tarot, the older historic (exemplified by the Tdm), and the more recent Qabalistic (exemplified, for example, by RWS). The relation between historic and Qabalistic Tarot is somewhat analogous to that between Judaism and Christianity. The newer traditions derive from the older, but supposedly are based on a new revelation or insight. In the case of Tarot, the new insight was that there seems to be a correlation between the 22 Trumps, the 22 letters of the Hebrew alphabet, and (consequently) the 22 inter-Sephirotic paths on the Tree of Life. The so-called "astrology" mostly derives from the Sepher Yetzirah, which views the Zodiacal signs and the Ptolemaic planets as metaphors for basic building blocks of reality.

This is interesting, but when I try to learn more, it becomes overwhelming to me. However, this is a discussion for another thread.

MissJo

It was. I still have it and look it over from time to time (it was a general.) It was done on another forum, and took, as I recall, four posts to get up there, as it kept passing the post limit.... :bugeyed:

Although it was fantastic - I did get the feeling - even at the time - that it is well possible to try and draw in TOO MUCH.... Kind of in the same way that teaching the toddler who asked why eating one apple means he now has no apple about calculus and probability....

Yeah, I think I would classify as little bit too much information.

Zephyros

The RWS is just as "astrological" as the Thoth, the only difference is in the presentation. In a sense, astrologically, the Thoth is "easier" to read than the RWS, because it is all there on the cards, while secrecy prevented Waite from doing the same with the RWS.

Now, I am awful at it, and I hardly even know the different signs for the stars and planets, so I don't use it, yet. I only started to study the Golden Dawn a relatively short time ago, so there are a million things I don't know yet, and that's fine, I'm in no hurry.

But I think of it like any other aspect of Tarot: stories. If Tarot is a remnant of the lost art of storytelling, the attributions serve merely to add more "meat" to my readings, when I do use them, which isn't often. It`s all stories, even merely saying the words "devil" or "temperance" brings up a host of connotations and connections. Personally I think that just as our imaginations were fueled by the books we read as a child, so do the occult studies of the Golden Dawn fuel mine, in Tarot, and astrology is but another library.

It is fine if you don't use it, however, just don't rag on the Golden Dawn if you decide not to :)

ruski_svet

Well add another to the bag- astrology only pops up when I feel court cards are talking about a person's sign. Mostly it's general physical or character traits.

Traditional and intuitive messages have a ton load of info to give by themselves- never saw the point in adding more systems. I believe it has value as a system itself, though.