Wisdom of the House of Night cards

Shade

I was mainly intrigued by the name of the deck - I am a sucker for a deck with a good name and it has lead to an interest in things like "Tarot of the Stars Eternal."

I haven't read the books and I have not had much to do with the emerging paranormal romance genre. I read the Laurel K. Hamilton books that birthed the craze but I stopped in about 2002 and never quite fell back into it. I like that the cards are connected with the goddess Nyx.

The cover image looks intriguing to say the least.

DaughterOfDanu

Hey, I got my notice saying the deck will be in my hands Monday night! :D I'll give a review and post a few photos on it then.

Winterchild

Names

I was mainly intrigued by the name of the deck - I am a sucker for a deck with a good name and it has lead to an interest in things like "Tarot of the Stars Eternal."

I haven't read the books and I have not had much to do with the emerging paranormal romance genre. I read the Laurel K. Hamilton books that birthed the craze but I stopped in about 2002 and never quite fell back into it. I like that the cards are connected with the goddess Nyx.

The cover image looks intriguing to say the least.

I do agree about names...but sadly they are not living up to their names lately..... I could only see a couple images of this deck online but one card really screamed bad plastic surgery (the card with the horse on the publisher page)... so I ran scared!!

HighPriestess

Oh good gods, the House of Night series is a major guilty pleasure of mine. I wouldn't call them good books, not at all. The main character is insufferable. She's part Cherokee which is ooh-so-exotic-and-special, to say nothing of the slut-shaming (in particular, she keeps calling one character a "ho" even while she's juggling THREE boyfriends at a time, the 'ho' on the other hand, broke up with her boyfriend and has since been going steady), the gay character is sooooo gay, it's just, gah!

I have no idea why I keep coming back to this series, srsly. I must be a glutton for punishment. The world-building is interesting (although it's basically Wicca with extra emphasis on the night) but the execution is just painful.

That said, I'll be getting this eventually, because I just can't stop. They must dust the pages with high grade crack or something. Seriously, I've read great YA, this....is not.

DaughterOfDanu

I really have no interest in reading the novels. I think one of the draws to the deck was that the people have what look like tattoos- something that I'm very interested in.

HighPriestess

I really have no interest in reading the novels. I think one of the draws to the deck was that the people have what look like tattoos- something that I'm very interested in.

It's part of the books. When vampyres change, tattoos appear (usually on their face, more rarely on the rest of their bodies) which basically represent the gifts that the goddess Nyx has given them, so I expect you will see lots of tats in this deck. :)

DaughterOfDanu

So I got my deck and looked through it!

The edges are silver.

Triple moons on backs and the number of the card is on a triple moon at the top of the front

Cards art-wise are pretty awesome, tribal-like tattoos on characters and interesting scenery.

Possible Character References: Deceit (Neferet). In the deck some cards are titled with their main title and then in parentheses what seems like a name which I'm guessing is a reference to a character.

Gives the feel of half affirmational and half divination-style deck.

I'm looking through the accompaniment book. It gives of feelings which remind me of something written for a teen. So I'm not too fond of the book though it gives a bit of backstory about the goddess nyx in the series.

But I wouldn't let the book deter you. I plan on not really looking into it as I find this deck to have some good potential.

I own Baron-Reid's Wisdom of Hidden Realms and Enchanted Map oracle as well as this new one and if I were to rank this one between the two I like it more than the Hidden Realms, but I don't care for it as much as the Enchanted Map although I see it almost as a younger, darker sister to the hidden realms.

Cerrydwen Asherah

Thanks a lot TreeLeafe!!
Is it possible for you to make pictures? I really need to see the cards before buying them!

HighPriestess

I just got this today. My initial reaction was HOLY CRAP SPARKLY!
Also, I was expecting it to be really cheesy (and some cards are, TBH) but overall I was surprised at how minimalist the card art is, and yet it clearly communicates the message of the card (ie. having a scroll that says "Congratulations!" as the success card). Also, apart from the card title, no keywords, that was kind of surprising.

I've scanned a few of my favourite cards (the scans are actually darker than the actual cards, and you can't see the glitter or the glossy finish). Sorry that they look so grainy, if you zoom in they're much clearer: http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm128/KryHea/img268.jpg

Cerrydwen Asherah

Thanks a lot, it's really usefull!