Your Most Readable Deck

Seldes Katne

I have had reasonably good luck with the Ghost Tarot and the Victorian Fairy Tarot, but The Wizards Tarot is far and away the most communicative deck I own. The cards will tell me whether to take them at face value or metaphorically, or to check the book for more interpretation options. I find it easy to connect the cards to create a narrative.

On the rare occasion that I read for myself, this is the deck I choose.

Carla

Jean Dodal TdM and Jean Noblet TdM. My two favourites for reading for clients. Clear as a bell.

Laiste

Osho zen for me, I don't have to do any effort to read with it. It speaks to me very clearly. I'm learning to read now with the Mary-El and hoping that can become my most readable one. (If it would be an Oracle deck it would be the Faeries Oracle from Froud.)

I recieved the Dreaming Way Tarot yesterday and it reads wonderfully good, wow! I like it, like it a lot! I love the energy of the deck, it's rather blunt and direct and I just looooove the art, it's so beautifull.

UniversesCollide

Robin Wood is what I consider my most readable but I feel I have to mention my Mermaids Tarot because I give such great readings with it for some reason. It's not even close to being my favorite deck yet if I just just on the accuracy of my readings, it might be top deck.

celticnoodle

Same here, UniversesCollide. I would have always said my Robin Wood was my most readable deck and the one I often reached for. However, I took it with me on a visit to family in Sweden, as they wanted tarot readings, and I just couldn't read with it at all! it was just giving me garbage. Thankfully, I also took a Lenormand deck--and while I am still learning the Lenormand and wouldn't consider myself good at reading with it yet--I was able to do better with that.

I am not sure if my Robin Wood deck just needs a rest or what. I will probably grab another tarot deck to use for awhile and give RW a rest for awhile. Though RW is always with me when I travel and I would say is still my go to deck and probably my fave reading deck.

MandMaud

Reading through everyone's answers here, I'm struck by the fact that we don't agree! Some decks come up a lot, but on the whole each reader has a different most-readable. I wonder what the criteria are - if there are any.

For me...

The Tarot Nova is probably the most readable I have.

I wish I could nominate the Wild Unknown; I love it, I love reading with it, and (unlike some people) I can always get meaning from it without any trouble, but I don't find it exceptionally readable.

I do find the Tarot Illuminati absolutely readable. As much as the Nova, I think. I pretty much hear the voices of the people in the images, with the Illuminati.

The Gilded comes very easily to me as I learnt on it, but the courts have never spoken to me and the deck itself isn't particularly special to me any more. Sorry, Gilded aficionados. The Connolly (I have the mini) is my most recent deck but equally easy to read, more so than the RWS for me; with the Connolly, the cards glance at each other and indicate where my eye needs to travel around the spread more than other decks.

When I fancy reading Marseilles style (or my half-baked version of that method), I have a Swiss 1JJ which is very easy - once I had my system with the numbers. This is for non-intuitive reading, which I need more when reading for myself and can't trust my intuition to tell the truth. It's like doing sums to produce sentences and it works great. That's the pips, and I read the majors my usual way, and the courts by listening to them as people (which generally I can't do with court cards in other decks. Call me odd. :D)

Never (yet) had any inclination to try the Thoth, but you never know, one day I may get bitten by that bug.

The Blue Moon Tarot gives loads and loads, one card at a time. I "never" do one-card readings, just can't do them, but with this I can't do any other kind of reading. :confused: Also I read well with this one for myself, and can't use it for other people (though that may just be me being possessive, as it is extremely special to me).

But top prize for readability, for me - since that's the idea here :) - the Tarot Nova.

It is also the first deck with which I was able to pull off reading it like it's just an image, like there are no assigned meanings. I was always intrigued by that approach, but i could never ignore the assigned tarot meanings before. With this one, I can turn off the traditional associations and draw meaning from the cards like pre-school child "reads" a storybook: turning pages and talking to herself about what is going on.

I would love to achieve this and never have, but am encouraged by what you say, Vesper. Maybe it's not just me, maybe I simply haven't found the right deck for it yet. :)

Same here, UniversesCollide. I would have always said my Robin Wood was my most readable deck and the one I often reached for. However, I took it with me on a visit to family in Sweden, as they wanted tarot readings, and I just couldn't read with it at all! it was just giving me garbage. Thankfully, I also took a Lenormand deck--and while I am still learning the Lenormand and wouldn't consider myself good at reading with it yet--I was able to do better with that.

I am not sure if my Robin Wood deck just needs a rest or what. I will probably grab another tarot deck to use for awhile and give RW a rest for awhile. Though RW is always with me when I travel and I would say is still my go to deck and probably my fave reading deck.

You've made me think - do some decks shrug off the energies from readings better than others? Are some more likely to have someone's energy, or the emotions from a reading, cling to them? Do some need resting and/or cleansing more often? I wonder if that similarly varies by reader, or if it varies by the deck itself (assuming it varies at all).

Falcor

Reading through everyone's answers here, I'm struck by the fact that we don't agree! Some decks come up a lot, but on the whole each reader has a different most-readable. I wonder what the criteria are - if there are any.

You've made me think - do some decks shrug off the energies from readings better than others? Are some more likely to have someone's energy, or the emotions from a reading, cling to them? Do some need resting and/or cleansing more often? I wonder if that similarly varies by reader, or if it varies by the deck itself (assuming it varies at all).

I think that it because we all are different with different energies. For example I can't stand dark decks and to read with them. Someone else won't be able to connect at all to Egypt themed decks or modern decks. Each of us carry a very specific signature that is their key to cards world.

MandMaud

I think that it because we all are different with different energies. For example I can't stand dark decks and to read with them. Someone else won't be able to connect at all to Egypt themed decks or modern decks. Each of us carry a very specific signature that is their key to cards world.

I'm sure that's part of it. But on its own, that implies that a prerequisite for readability is liking (or being able to stand) the deck's aesthetic. Whereas many people say they can read best with a deck they don't like aesthetically - or can't read at all well with decks they are drawn to - visually, by theme, by colour (or "type" of colours eg pastel, dark, whatever)...

Some people are identifying criteria that make a deck readable *for them* - things like clear imagery, warm colours, etc. I'm sure that having the deck's energy gel with the reader's is essential, but I'm wondering if we can pinpoint what's involved in that... since it isn't the aesthetic or the theme, I think we can rule those out to begin with. :)

Falcor

I'm sure that's part of it. But on its own, that implies that a prerequisite for readability is liking (or being able to stand) the deck's aesthetic. Whereas many people say they can read best with a deck they don't like aesthetically - or can't read at all well with decks they are drawn to - visually, by theme, by colour (or "type" of colours eg pastel, dark, whatever)...

Some people are identifying criteria that make a deck readable *for them* - things like clear imagery, warm colours, etc. I'm sure that having the deck's energy gel with the reader's is essential, but I'm wondering if we can pinpoint what's involved in that... since it isn't the aesthetic or the theme, I think we can rule those out to begin with. :)

Then we should make a list about reader types and energy. I believe energy type and flow plays a very important role in how and with what we read the best.

rylla

I am one of those people who likes clear big images, warm colors, etc. But this is not enough. It doesn't guarantees that a deck is readable. I can't put my fingers on it what it does. I know that much that if a deck doesn't impress me (if the images leave me cold) it's much harder for me to read with it than otherwise. Perhaps we can define what makes a deck readable in a thread designed for this question.