Can inner child be root of depression/anxiety/low self esteem?

CelestialHorse

Can inner child be root of who yo uare now?

Does inner child impact you?

Hemera

I can only speak for myself but I have only ever experienced the Inner Child as someone very positive, carefree, happy and creative. It´s not a "root of who I am" for me. It´s more like a spirit helper. I´d say that if there is anxiety and depression they probably come from some other sources.

Milfoil

Not exactly sure what you are asking CelestialHorse - can you be more specific?

Richard

Define what inner child means to you, CelestialHorse. The term probably means different things to different people. To me it means the real me before I learned how to fake being an adult by following the accepted rules of civilized adult behavior.

Chiriku

Define what inner child means to you, CelestialHorse. The term probably means different things to different people. To me it means the real me before I learned how to fake being an adult by following the accepted rules of civilized adult behavior.

Yes, I'd like to know what CelestialHorse means, as well.

I was going to say that I've never lost my "inner child" (whatever that is) because I've been remarkably consistent in personality, outlook, and inner life since childhood. I was a wise-beyond-my-years child so there is not a radical difference between the Me of my early years, the adolescent Me and the adult Me.

But now that you mention it...I suppose there were ways in which the 5-10 year old me "put myself out there" more readily, with less circumspection. I had more native Fire then. As I saw more of life, the flames were mostly transformed to Swords, leaving me in my present, "over-analytic" state.

In a way, then, every attempt I make now to harness Fire is not so much looking to add something foreign to me as it is "tapping into my inner child," to use the lingo.

Zephyros

I'll take it from a different angle, what do you mean by "cause." There are many different causes for depression such as a chemical imbalance, shock, incorrect emotional habits or simply being a square peg in a round hole. Emotional immaturity ("inner child?") can also be a factor in contributing to depression. Treatments are just as diverse as the number of patients.

If may be so bold, and I'm talking sufferer to sufferer here, it seems a futile exercise to come up with this or that "reason," pinning all hopes on it as though that would fix anything. Inner child especially, in this context, sounds like something a second grade rural New Age columnist for a supermarket flyer would come up with as "the cause of depression," and probably suggest positive thinking, The Secret (now on sale in aisle two!) and an assorted mishmash of other half-baked theories. Believe me when I say I understand hopelessness, but this isn't the way. You're better than this.

What helped me overcome my depression is that I really didn't. I had to be homeless for a year to understand that in my own situation, depression was a luxury I couldn't afford, medication, working out and simply growing out of it. These things probably don't apply to you, but one thing is positive; you need more than catch-phrases.

re-pete-a

The Inner Child... If your a biblical reader then that parable of St Christopher pictured with that small child on his shoulders is a story of an inner child and what happens when one decides to carry it openly...the waters crossed represents the mind...the storm experienced was the turbulence that is usually experienced... Water in the old times was used as the flow of thoughts with things hidden below the surface."The waters of the Mind".

The inner child IS the inner es-sense of the real self. It has no connection to the physical needs of this outer world...Hence no needs that are outside itself.

This is just my opinion based on experiences gained.

re-pete-a

Now that is one of the most honest statements I've heard on this site so far.

CelestialHorse

Not exactly sure what you are asking CelestialHorse - can you be more specific?

I guess what I mean is your past influences who you are like the child you were is still hurt and affecting you today.

CelestialHorse

I'll take it from a different angle, what do you mean by "cause." There are many different causes for depression such as a chemical imbalance, shock, incorrect emotional habits or simply being a square peg in a round hole. Emotional immaturity ("inner child?") can also be a factor in contributing to depression. Treatments are just as diverse as the number of patients.

If may be so bold, and I'm talking sufferer to sufferer here, it seems a futile exercise to come up with this or that "reason," pinning all hopes on it as though that would fix anything. Inner child especially, in this context, sounds like something a second grade rural New Age columnist for a supermarket flyer would come up with as "the cause of depression," and probably suggest positive thinking, The Secret (now on sale in aisle two!) and an assorted mishmash of other half-baked theories. Believe me when I say I understand hopelessness, but this isn't the way. You're better than this.

What helped me overcome my depression is that I really didn't. I had to be homeless for a year to understand that in my own situation, depression was a luxury I couldn't afford, medication, working out and simply growing out of it. These things probably don't apply to you, but one thing is positive; you need more than catch-phrases.

I agree and sorry to hear you were homeless :( Heh medication doesn't help for sure 100 percent. But yeah positive thoughts can usually help :)