Can inner child be root of depression/anxiety/low self esteem?

re-pete-a

I guess what I mean is your past influences who you are like the child you were is still hurt and affecting you today.

My appologies... I mis interpreted your post .Thanks to Milfoil and yourself for clearing up that point. As a result I want to alter my post as well.

Absolutely, the childhood experiences make up beliefs..those beliefs make up the building blocks of the beliefs projections onto the worlds mirror. The supposed reality is then "coloured" by those beliefs.
The trouble is the beliefs become distorted over time and become buried under other beliefs...Like stacking books up in a pile. The original story book that led to reading the rest of the books on top becomes distorted and lost .

Uncovering the basic beliefs is like suddenly pulling out the original book from the bottom. The pile of books collapses. Exposing the others on top to be distortions of the original.

For example( with permission). A woman was scared of the dark...She was a country woman and could not understand the why of it...Turned out that when she was 3 or so, Dad drove out to check the creeks and showed her a flooded and raging dirty river, commenting
" You wouldn't want to fall into that dark mess,. They'd never find you again"
Through the childs fear and it's understandings at that present time transformed over the years and transposed to being scared of the dark... If that later fear was followed it would lead to one of the books on that pile we talked of before, but not to the bottom book. The fear examined would tend to remain fixed in one of those books on the pile.The original fear remaining uncovered.

Yes, the childhood experiences colour life's expectations.

Richard

Of course childhood experiences can profoundly affect us all through life.

Inner child? :confused:

CelestialHorse

My appologies... I mis interpreted your post .Thanks to Milfoil and yourself for clearing up that point. As a result I want to alter my post as well.

Absolutely, the childhood experiences make up beliefs..those beliefs make up the building blocks of the beliefs projections onto the worlds mirror. The supposed reality is then "coloured" by those beliefs.
The trouble is the beliefs become distorted over time and become buried under other beliefs...Like stacking books up in a pile. The original story book that led to reading the rest of the books on top becomes distorted and lost .

Uncovering the basic beliefs is like suddenly pulling out the original book from the bottom. The pile of books collapses. Exposing the others on top to be distortions of the original.

For example( with permission). A woman was scared of the dark...She was a country woman and could not understand the why of it...Turned out that when she was 3 or so, Dad drove out to check the creeks and showed her a flooded and raging dirty river, commenting
" You wouldn't want to fall into that dark mess,. They'd never find you again"
Through the childs fear and it's understandings at that present time transformed over the years and transposed to being scared of the dark... If that later fear was followed it would lead to one of the books on that pile we talked of before, but not to the bottom book. The fear examined would tend to remain fixed in one of those books on the pile.The original fear remaining uncovered.

Yes, the childhood experiences colour life's expectations.

That makes sense and thanks :) Love the book idea. :) Yeah it's interesting how we can in a way say why we're this way but may not always know why exactly or something. Maybe hypnosis could help. I do think it would be interesting to do but I am bit suspicious if it actually works.

Milfoil

Agreed, childhood experiences, the person you were then and what happened to you will have a direct bearing on who you are now but you can always examine that, learn from it, invite that child to come talk to you, find out what is wrong, try to resolve that by changing some of the ways you make decisions and reactions.

Do you feel something needs to change there?

Richard

We sometimes suppress traumatic childhood experiences, so that we cannot consciously remember them. (This is a natural effort by the mind to reduce the pain.) However, although residing in the personal unconscious, these things can affect us adversely so that we experience mental disturbances without knowing their origin. Jung thought that bringing these unconscious contents into consciousness is the only way to deal with them. This is the method of depth psychology and really needs to be done by a professional. There is evidence that it may be possible to bring these unconscious memories out in the open by means of a hypnotic regression to childhood, but it should be done only by someone who is experienced at that sort of thing and knows how to deal with the metaphorical "demons" that may be unleashed.

re-pete-a

We sometimes suppress traumatic childhood experiences, so that we cannot consciously remember them. (This is a natural effort by the mind to reduce the pain.) However, although residing in the personal unconscious, these things can affect us adversely so that we experience mental disturbances without knowing their origin. Jung thought that bringing these unconscious contents into consciousness is the only way to deal with them. This is the method of depth psychology and really needs to be done by a professional. There is evidence that it may be possible to bring these unconscious memories out in the open by means of a hypnotic regression to childhood, but it should be done only by someone who is experienced at that sort of thing and knows how to deal with the metaphorical "demons" that may be unleashed.

The terror and the mind were already under the personal microscope.
Meditation and time has provided an answer going back further than the birthing process.My personal jury is still out on that one.

Then as a prod or a confirmation it became known that it had been suggested by those more intellectually learned, that the mind was invented to protect one from a terror very early in life.

I feel that we are born with it, which is different from my original thoughts on that subject.

Richard

The trauma of birth, being ejected from a place of perfect comfort and bliss. That's a biggie that affects everyone, without exception.

CelestialHorse

The trauma of birth, being ejected from a place of perfect comfort and bliss. That's a biggie that affects everyone, without exception.

I felt rejected by my peers :/ Jerks.

CelestialHorse

Yeah that is an interesting theory and I believe that. I mean honestly, I don't remember a lot from birth to preteen. I really don't. Just mostly how my peers were horrible to me. Do I remember anything GOOD? Honestly, not really. Just riding horses really.

Also I just feel my parents support me the way I'd like them too. But I do believe one thing I read from a book "People that are depressed have a tendency to remember bad memories over good ones" Well that's a given.

CelestialHorse

Agreed, childhood experiences, the person you were then and what happened to you will have a direct bearing on who you are now but you can always examine that, learn from it, invite that child to come talk to you, find out what is wrong, try to resolve that by changing some of the ways you make decisions and reactions.

Do you feel something needs to change there?

Yeah I do but I'm angry and resentful of my younger selves XD; Wishing they did things differently. But that's the past, Maybe that's the problem there. I am holding a grudge.