Contentment...for free

re-pete-a

Comfort is not ordinary contentment. I think GD (and the article referred to) is talking about an existential contentment which continues regardless of comfort or circumstance. It is an internal spiritual state where one has become 'satisfied' with one's Dharma, irrespective of 'wantings' and adventures.

Having re read your post I think I agree...

Adventures are had when the storms of destruction arrive to herald a new and altered perspective in the aftermath

What is Dharma?

Zephyros

When the wantings stop...the big C flourishes...for a while.

Until another adventure arrives that drives and pushes one through the comfort barriers ......again.

Comfort is not ordinary contentment. I think GD (and the article referred to) is talking about an existential contentment which continues regardless of comfort or circumstance. It is an internal spiritual state where one has become 'satisfied' with one's Dharma, irrespective of 'wantings' and adventures.

I think you're both right, actually. Balance and equilibrium are never static, but are more akin to a constantly swinging pendulum (see? I actually do learn things from the Thoth!). Change and movement are inevitable, and I don't know if such serene states, of completely giving up the imbalances of Desire, are even possible in physical incarnations. Even serenity initiates a chain reaction in the universe. Knowledge of these states perhaps is possible, as visions, through magick, or deep meditative states. Ultimately, though, a mosquito will bite you, and you will be moved to scratch it.

Of course, it could be said that even that is a joyful experience, since it is an experience, but I have yet to meet someone like that. It is a good ideal to strive for, though.

ravenest

My contentment does not rely on a serene state or giving up the imbalance of desire. Change and movement ARE inevitable ... I'm content with that. I can be content with my 'incontentment' ... I have found contentment with life in all its aspects ... in a real sense.

greatdane

I am enjoying reading all your posts

That's what I so love about these threads, the chance to see different perspectives, ways at looking at something. I often see things I hadn't thought of, which leads to more thoughts....

ravenest

What is Dharma?

For me ... currently researching the P.I.E. peoples (Proto-Indo-European ; early Aryan) culture and 'lost' Vedantic early homeland (the land of Soma) and empire - and that being a possible source of Hermetic culture ... and hence the Avestan language and culture; I am considering the source meaning of the word (and not the pop spiritual meaning).

My Dharma ; That which I have or hold. To extrapolate? The 'True Will' in the Thelemic sense.

tarotcognito

My contentment does not rely on a serene state or giving up the imbalance of desire. Change and movement ARE inevitable ... I'm content with that. I can be content with my 'incontentment' ... I have found contentment with life in all its aspects ... in a real sense.
Ah yes... Meister Eckhart's Way of Paradox. :) :thumbsup:

Richard

I am content with the way I am right now, but also I am content with my wish to become a better person. Moreover, I am content with the effort required to accomplish that wish. Contentment is dynamic as well as static. This is consistent with the Tao Te Ching, which has been my personal guide to contentment for many years.

The crowned one

The higher the state of my cognitions, and mentalese, with "ahhas!" and learning, the greater my contentment and peace of mind. The idea of nothing upstairs is unpleasant to me, even in my peaceful forests, I interact with the sounds, colours, smells: my senses filled to satiation at this point.

re-pete-a

I am content with the way I am right now, but also I am content with my wish to become a better person. Moreover, I am content with the effort required to accomplish that wish. Contentment is dynamic as well as static. This is consistent with the Tao Te Ching, which has been my personal guide to contentment for many years.

Q..What is the most important part of that Yin and Yang symbol????

a personal experience with that Yin Yang principal, that may or may not set you to head scratchings...

A...The division...

re-pete-a

For me ... currently researching the P.I.E. peoples (Proto-Indo-European ; early Aryan) culture and 'lost' Vedantic early homeland (the land of Soma) and empire - and that being a possible source of Hermetic culture ... and hence the Avestan language and culture; I am considering the source meaning of the word (and not the pop spiritual meaning).

My Dharma ; That which I have or hold. To extrapolate? The 'True Will' in the Thelemic sense.

Good for you...I hope.

To find contentment requires a separation...Yin and Yang principals...A separation from the intelligence and the Intellectual principals...Then re combining with an AHA moment...

Which will not come from ones personal efforts...It arrives when there's nothing stopping it's introduction...when all preconceived and practiced resistances and indoctrinations become still...for just a milli second...

It's there all along and always...just waiting to be allowed in...

When this is understood..."ONLY MIND MINDS"