Uncertain

Adam

Hi my name is Adam I have never tried tarot before but I recently decided to and someone recomended the Robin Woods deck. I was looking at some pictures of it online and they were very beautifull and made me feel very spiritual and I got really good vibes from them. I wasn't really feeling any of the other decks that I saw. But then I read a review and the reviewer said that the images in the Robin Woods deck were sugary sweet and the people on them like Ken and Barbie. Now whenever I look at them online I can't get past that mental block of the deck being a false representation of archetypal images. I seem to only see the flaws in them. I would normally go ahead with my instinct to buy them but I don't want to buy them if they subconsciously repel me. Since most of you have probably worked with tarot decks and I haven't, do you think using the deck will be a problem for me? I would really appreciate any suggestions you may have. Thanks

Greenman

first of all, welcome!

it seems to me that your first (non-influenced) impression is the one that you should go with. it is often said (and VERY true) that a tarot deck needs to 'speak' to you, or you won't get the full benefit from it. i believe this is true.
this deck spoke to you when you looked at it from a non-biased POV. so screw the critics!
understand that i speak as a tarot bigot. i'm not one to go for 'new age' decks, oracles or (for the most part) theme decks. and yet, while i don't have the Robin Wood deck, it has been on my list for quite awhile now. i find some of the symbolism very telling.
there are a few cards that i always look at first when judging a new deck. if i don't like these cards then i don't look at the rest of the deck. one of these is the Devil card. i hate the usual
'Satan' imagery. i really like the Robin Wood Devil. to me, it portrays the meaning of the card as well (or better) than most decks. and the rest of the deck is good enough that i give it the Greenman 'thumbs up'.
so take this for whatever it's worth to you, but i wouldn't be put off of your first impulse by someone else's opinion.

catlin

Merry Meet and Welcome,

I would also suggest you to stick to your first impression but on the other hand, I once bought a deck (Cosmic Tarot by N. L?sche) which I saw on the internet and which I found wonderful but when I held the whole deck in my hands I discovered that I did not like 75 cards out of 78!

I have ordered the Robin Wood deck, too as I am an avid collector of decks and some ppl here use it and are very satisfied with it.

Besides, I like decks with a Pagan/Celtic background. The pictures of the Robin Wood deck are in a kind of Art Nouveau style so if you do not like this kind of art, you may not like the deck either.

Make sure that you can bring back the deck to the seller or that you can trade it if you cannot "click" with it so you are on the safer side.

Lee

Hi, Adam --
Your post raises some very good points about reviews. Reviews are good, because they help give some kind of idea of what a deck comprises, and many people find it helpful to read others' opinions when deciding whether to buy a deck. On the other hand, it's possible that the reviewer will actually influence how people feel about a deck.
Of course, this isn't limited to Tarot reviews; it's true of any kind of review, movie review, restaurant review, whatever. Theater people in New York used to get very angry at Frank Rich, who was the drama critic for the New York Times for many years, because a show would succeed or fail based on what he wrote about it. But this wasn't really something you could blame him for; he was only writing his opinion, and that was his job.
This raises a larger question of the role that reviews play. In a way, it would be nice if there were no reviews, and we could all make up our own minds about things without referring to others' opinions. But realistically, this isn't the way our society works, where we have a free exchange of ideas. Really, a review is only a more formalized version of a bunch of Tarot buddies sitting around and discussing a deck. If someone in that situation said they didn't like a deck, that comment probably wouldn't haunt you. Likewise, something written in a review shouldn't haunt you.
I feel qualified to talk about Tarot reviews because I've written several. In fact, I wrote a review of the Robin Wood which may even be the one you're referring to. :) The key thing, I think, to keep in mind is that someone who writes a review has absolutely zero more authority than anyone else. It's just his or her opinion. The only difference between a reviewer and anyone else is that the reviewer has taken the time and trouble to write a review and submit it somewhere. But their opinions aren't any more valuable than anyone else's. I think the best way to approach a review is to take from it what is valuable to you and leave the rest.
To address your post specifically, you say that the reviewer (perhaps me) wrote that the Robin Wood deck is sugary sweet and has a Ken and Barbie look. Then you go on to say that now you're afraid that the deck has false representations of the archetypes. I'm not sure I understand how the one necessarily follows from the other. Why can't a deck be sugary sweet *and* faithfully represent the archetypes? Also, there isn't any one way to draw the archetypes that's any better than any other. Each artist draws pictures which are "true" for them; but, like reviewers, artists don't have any particular authority, whether they drew their deck yesterday or a hundred years ago.
Really, any deck will have *something* that's less than perfect about it, and that doesn't mean it's not a good deck. Actually there's a lot I like about the Robin Wood, I think it's a fine deck, and the artist has obviously put a great deal of thought into portraying the archetypes in a way that is meaningful for her.
Only you can decide whether a specific aspect of a deck gets in the way of your being able to use that deck. You shouldn't let what one person says about a deck be the determining factor. Since the Robin Wood is an extremely popular deck, I think you would certainly be in the mainstream if you chose it. There are many scans on the internet of cards from this deck, so you have ample opportunity to look at them and make up your own mind about them.
If *you* think some of the cards are overly sweet, even then you could use the deck, and simply use that sweetness as something to hang an interpretation on. For example, if the Robin Wood 10 of Cups looks too sweet or too good to be true, then perhaps the card might mean unrealistic expectations, or maybe just a particularly innocent optimism.
Decks are like people, each with their own personalities and eccentricities. Sometimes you have to be tolerant of certain aspects of a deck in order to really get to know its good points. If you feel drawn to it -- go for it!
Good luck --
Lee

sue

i was told when i bought my first deck that i should find one that had pictures that appealed to me. each person is different and what the cards will mean to you might not be what the cards will mean to another. if you liked the pictures and it was the only one that appealed to you, you should go for it.

Kalin

Hi, Adam :)

I like to visit review sites and have often spent quite a bit of time moving from link to link, but y'know what I look at first? The deck images! Honestly, because if the images don't strike a harmonious chord, it won't matter what the reviewer has to say about the deck.

It's not that I don't value what the tarot experts have to say about decks--I do--but there's a reason why we all work with/connect with different decks. We're different, and I'll bet there are great tarotists out there who give great readings with some of the decks that haven't been well received by the reviewers.

It really is a personal connection, so I'm with all the people here--if you liked the Robin Wood, then go with your instinct.

And have fun :)

Kalin

truthsayer

i think robin wood has more of a pagan cartoonish look than ken and barbie unless it's "ken and barbie go pagan". that'd be totally fine w/ me! they've made a ken and barbie for everything else under the sun. the new low was the ken and barbie work as a cashier at mcdonald's. pagan ken and barbie sound pretty kewl! will the playset include a black cat, book of secrets, and a fake fire for the couple to dance skyclad by? to me the ken and barbie look is more in the matt meyers "art noveau" deck. each suit is about the course of a relationship. i like both decks but art noveau actually edges out over robin wood to me b/c i can read cards for more ppl w/ it than robin wood.

of course, this is just my opinion. :) ;D

EveAnna

Hi Adam :)

Deck reviews are ok but everyone has their own views on decks, I too think that you should go by your gut instinct, you liked the deck before you read the review, and once you have the cards in your hands your first views might be re-inforced. It is a nice deck, I don't have it, I love the Original Rider Waite - alot of ppl don't like this deck because of the pale colours - I do :)

greyhound

Hi, Adam
I have the Robin Wood deck and it is my favorite so far (I have several others). I have only been reading Tarot for about a year, so I consider myself a beginner also. This deck is the easiest I've found to read with without going to a book for every card meaning. It's very easy to interpret right out of the box.

You may find you want a deck later that's different... I find, that I may choose a deck and I may only need it for a season... but I always gain from the experience. I would go with your first impression on this one. But know that you don't have to make this your only deck forever. As you grow in knowledge, it's OK to move on to other decks. This deck is an excellent one to start your Tarot journey.

Greyhound

Adam

Thanks everybody for your advice. I think that I am going to go ahead and buy the robin wood deck. By the way Lee, the bad review that I had read was not yours, but thanks for your advice anyway, I'll try to take reviews with a grain of salt.