Quantum Theory and Tarot Inquiry...

Sophie

What I find strange on this thread, especially coming from people who call themselves scientists, is the idea that all physicists agree with each other on all these weighty (or should I say weightless?!) matters. There are lots of areas that remain in dispute.

For instance, this statement by the Crowned One: "While it is possible to convert matter to energy, and vice a versa, there is no confusion about what is matter and what is energy."

Well, not quite. Some serious folk backed by serious research wrote a paper in 1994, published in the Physical Review, in which matter and energy were implied to be one and same thing. They showed that inertia - what Newton said was the central propert of matter - was simply a friction force in the zero point field. (Haisch, Rueda, Puthof, "Inertia as a zero-point-field Lorentz force", Physical Review A, 1994). Later they wrote explicitly that matter and energy were one - or rather, that there is no matter, only charge (in an article called "Beyond E=mc2").

Some other serious folk have made all sorts of long-term, double-bind experiments involving the zero-point-field, human and non-human intention, the observer effect (which is not only human - experiments were done with rabbits, ducks, as well as robots). Some of these scientists have suggested - again, backed by their research - that the zero-point-field is a giant storage and retrieval system, as well as the conductor of our thoughts, our consciousness, our unconscious desires, etc. (again, not only for humans).

I find it very odd, therefore, to read the categorical way in which some posters have flicked away any kind of scientifically-based discussion of energy or intention - things that might link them to tarot and explain how tarot might work - when some solid experiments have been conducted into those very matters in the past 40 years. They have been considered serious enough for the CIA and NASA to invest a large amount of money into some of them, and for Princeton University to run a program on some aspect of them (intention) for the past 30+ years. Several of these scientists have written - again, based on their research - that far from being random, the universe and everything in it, was a great sea of energy tending towards coherence. This has led some of them to say that there is an intelligence at work in the universe.

I am not a scientist, though I have a decent enough education in science, and a life-long interest. I am not able to test these theories and experiments myself, but I am able to point out where there are discrepancies between scientists, and where there seems to be a certain amount of conservative inertia at work, in the face of new ideas and experiments by some scientists - or indeed, questions by non-scientists. I'd love it if the discussion were less polarized, because what we are discussing here is fascinating, and also, isn't nearly as simply divided between "those who know" and "those who don't know" as some would have it.

The crowned one

I am familiar with the article, you and I seem to understand what they are saying differently. They are talking just the mass not the matter. It is just a hypothesis at this stage. He has gone past that 94' paper. His last paper on the subject was in 98'.

He himself (Haisch) says that he has no idea if he is right or wrong, but that he has managed to move from Newtonian classical physics to Einsteinian relativistic physics. He also mentioned the scientific community is silent on his work and he too would take a wait and see approach if someone else had come up with it. Have you heard anything from him since 98'? I have, he is moving onto other work or at least publishing other work, I do not know if he is still working on that hypothesis.

I think my views may be too "at odds" to add anything more to this thread but I have enjoyed reading and participating in it. I seem to lean towards the laws over hypothesis, I enjoy discussing them but I feel they should not be presented as fact , just mathimatical ideas.

Umbrae

philebus said:
Umbrae, I have a problem with this statement: "Add to this the improbable and unbelievable (yet true) fact that photons can move in a direction that we perceive as backwards on the continuum, affecting particles in the past…"

The problem is the bit about "true" - no! There are hypothetical particles that move faster than light - tachyons NOT photons (which move at the speed of light). According to theory, they cannot transmit information, ie be a source of reverse causation.

Uh – well…actually…and not hypothetically…we’re not talking tachyons, we’re talking photons.

The effect has been well documented with Feynman Diagrams. And as stated in Post #30, Einstein proved that space and time are not separate.

But here’s the problem – we’ve been told by the Newtonians for years that time travel, or anything moving backwards in time is simply Science Fiction, it’s not true.

So I understand the resistance here. I am talking about things being able to move backwards in time! And I’m not discussing putting a colander on your head and attaching diodes and dry cell batteries.

What Feynman Diagrams illustrate, that it’s our consciousness, our perception, that limits time flow, has also been proven by repeatable experiments in the real world with entangled protons.

NASA Researchers Put New Spin On Einstein's Relativity Theory
ScienceDaily (Apr. 10, 2003) — Albert Einstein might be astonished to learn that NASA physicists have applied his relativity theory to a concept he introduced but later disliked namely that two particles that interact could maintain a connection even if separated by a vast distance. Researchers often refer to this connection as "entanglement."

Researchers at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif., have discovered that this entanglement is relative, depending on how fast an observer moves with respect to the particles, and that entanglement can be created or destroyed just by relative motion. This might change the way entanglement is used on future spacecraft that move with respect to Earth or with each other.

"Imagine a particle on Earth entangled with a particle light years away," said Dr. Christoph Adami, principal scientist in the Quantum Computing Technologies Group at JPL. "Whatever happens to particle A on Earth happens to particle B, even if it is on another planet. Einstein referred to this connection as 'spooky'."

Einstein thought this connection violated the relativity rule that information can't travel faster than the speed of light. Adami and Dr. Robert Gingrich, also of JPL, are the first to apply Einstein's relativity theory to quantum entanglement between particles. They compared the amount of entanglement when the particles were at rest to when they were given a boost. Their findings show that while speeding up ordinary entangled pairs would lead to a loss of the precious entanglement, certain special pairs can be created whose entanglement is increased instead. This increases the connection between them.

Understanding how some of the characteristics of a particle can become entangled through relative motion alone when they seemed to be unentangled or unconnected when at rest could have many applications. For example, entangled particles could be used to synchronize atomic clocks, which are essential for navigating spacecraft in deep space.

"One of the amazing things about entanglement is that it connects objects over arbitrary distances, so that in principle the two clocks could be started and stopped simply by acting on only one of them," said Adami. "However, no workable protocol has been found to date to achieve that."

Because the creation of entanglement in the laboratory is usually a delicate matter, discovering new ways to create entanglement is always a goal of the quantum technology community.

"If you can create entanglement just by moving with respect to what you're measuring, then seemingly you've created something from nothing," said Gingrich.

Another possible application of entanglement is quantum teleportation: the ability to transfer the precise quantum state of one microscopic object to another, while using only traditional communications, such as a phone line. This technique, which has been demonstrated experimentally, requires that the sender and receiver share pairs of entangled particles. But until now nobody knew what would happen to these pairs if the sender and receiver move with respect to each other, or if an observer moves with respect to them. This new theory gives researchers a whole new outlook on what happens to particle pairs when you apply the relativity theory.

The research also has ramifications for ongoing work in the area of quantum computation, which seeks to use the subtle effects of quantum mechanics to build faster and more efficient computers.

"Whenever new ground is treaded by theory, new applications are sure to follow in its wake," said Adami.

Gingrich and Adami's findings appeared in a paper they co-authored titled, "Quantum Entanglement of Moving Bodies," which appeared in the December 2002 issue of the journal Physical Review Letters.

The Quantum Computing Technologies Group at JPL investigates the design and capabilities of hypothetical computing and measurement devices that use delicate quantum effects for enhanced power and accuracy for future space missions.

Science Daily

Well now if things CAN move faster than light, which was always seen as THE constant…

Once we move past the concept of Space & Time as separate, and move into Einstein’s (the Real) world of four dimensional space-time (as outlined in post 30, but you may want to reread 29 first), potentials exist that did not in a one dimensional world. When we understand Einstein’s words, that “Energy has mass and mass represents energy”…we can move past the western cultural method of seeing the world.

It’s really time for others to do their homework. As I said at the onset – this is science. It’s real. It’s not woo-woo gobbledy-gook. Rather than insult me - head to the library and prove me correct! The information is out there, it's real - but you may have to leave your comfort zone.

Sophie

The crowned one said:
He himself (Haisch) says that he has no idea if he is right or wrong, but that he has managed to move from Newtonian classical physics to Einsteinian relativistic physics. He also mentioned the scientific community is silent on his work and he too would take a wait and see approach if someone else had come up with it. Have you heard anything from him since 98'? I have, he is moving onto other work or at least publishing other work, I do not know if he is still working on that hypothesis.
But why pretend that there is consensus on matter and energy when there isn't? That was the point of my post. There isn't, just as there isn't on many linked topics. It's not as categorical as you first put it in your original post (I wasn't aiming at you particularly, just that you wrote something that stuck in my mind).

I have admiration for someone like Haisch who is able to be humble and open about his theories, rather than categorical and dismissive of any who questions them. Isn't that the point of science - to keep questioning? Not to accept any theory or hypothesis as incontrovertible fact, not even the sacred cows of science, not even one's own cherished theories? It's one of the greatest gift of science and the scientific way of thinking, this constant reappraisal and questioning. As Umbrae wrote above, the idea Einstein held that it's impossible to go faster than light has now been shown to be false in experiments. It is possible to go faster than light. There have been experiments in going back in time and changing "the past" (in inverted commas, because it's obvious that time is now more complex than past-present-future).

The opening questions of this thread were asked in good faith - so why the gut-reaction of rejection and "you don't know what you are talking about" by those who could discuss this intelligently, because they have the background in research to do so?

I find these threads generally frustrating for that reason alone. Otherwise, I find them interesting.

The crowned one

Fudugazi said:
The opening questions of this thread were asked in good faith - so why the gut-reaction of rejection and "you don't know what you are talking about" by those who could discuss this intelligently, because they have the background in research to do so?

I find these threads generally frustrating for that reason alone. Otherwise, I find them interesting.

You make a good point on a social level, I think what happens is I get a level of frustration build up when I read something written in a way that presents ideas as facts when they are not close to being such but I guess that is a flaw in my personality. My wife just chasised me for being a "ass" lol. As what is being discussed is just Theory and not necessarily based on fact, I should loosen up and just enjoy it. My frustration was starting to outweigh my enjoyment...I actually know better then to get involved in theses threads but I can not help myself sometimes.

There absolutely is "a consensus on matter and energy".(edit) ..in my opinion.

Sophie

Not being your wife, I wouldn't dare call you an ass, Crowned One :D. But I wish you - and other scientists - felt able to explore and discuss these matters on a tarot forum without getting frustrated - even if it does mean reminding non-scientists like myself that theory and hypothesis do not constitute fact, and that we need to approach the idea that what happens in tarot might in any way be linked to quantum physics - or any other kind of physics - with prudence and a healthy dose of scepticism.

There are experiments that could explain such a link. They don't make the link a fact - or even a theory! - but at the very least, they raise questions.

frelkins

May I say I think it's important to remember there are 2 kinds of physicists. The theoretical folks play around all the time with speculative math and wild theories. They take a partial and unreplicated experimental result -- then run with it.

In contrast, the experimental folks find the theorists maddening. The experimentalists want to see the equipment design, they want (by physics standards) "clear" applied math, they want the results replicated many many times, and then they want to wait for the acceptance and consensus of the scientific community.

These 2 groups have been sniping at each other for about 90 years and that won't stop soon. What we are seeing here is Umbrae trying to provoke a "keep it simple" conversation of some current theories in engaging English, which is his style. In response, I believe we are seeing some forum members from a more experimental background react. There is a dynamic that comes from the study of physics itself at work here, and that should be made clear.

While this forum disapproves of meta-discussion, I think really this point has to be brought to the fore. Now, to return to the subject: tarot and quantum theory.

Entanglement is an interesting idea and there may be some experimental basis to suggest it is real and possible. But it is not the consensus of the scientific community, and thus in scientific terms, it cannot be called "true."

However, if it should in future be more proven, and then accepted via the peer-review process, it would in fact offer a deeply interesting view of Tarot.

In short, my feeling is that both "sides" in this discussion should hold their breath and check back on entanglement in 15 years. :)

Sophie

frelkins said:
Entanglement is an interesting idea and there may be some experimental basis to suggest it is real and possible. But it is not the consensus of the scientific community, and thus in scientific terms, it cannot be called "true."
I seem to remember there have been a number of successful experiments in entanglement conducted at CERN and a few other places where experimental physics are explored. Wouldn't that be enough to make it at least a strong theory?

One hypothesis (and that's all it is) to explain entanglement is that the zero point field actually connects the atoms that are separated - so it's not so much an effect of non-locality as connection via the waves of the ZPF, which acts, for that purpose, like a sea.

philebus

OK. Photons' speed is believed to fluctuate over short distances, averaging out at the speed of light. No information is carried faster than light. No reverse causation is supported.

The quantum entanglement is also interesting but I'm not sure why it is pertinent. Essentially, it says that two people can witness the same event over a large distance. Again, no reverse causation happens here.

Sophie

Philebus - how do you explain the experiments in turning back the clock and changing the "past"? Isn't that reverse causation?