Themes You don't see yourself buying

inhalexhale

For me it's manga/anime decks and decks with dragons. They just don't appeal to me. I'm not very keen on fairy decks either, but I do have a few of them and wouldn't rule out the chance of future purchases. To be honest I'm a bit fed up with vampires and angels too. I like the idea of them, just not in a tarot deck.
Ah, anime/manga decks! I forgot to put that on my list. That's a big bag of NOPE. Even more so than my other disliked themes.

KristinCali

Just my two cents - but could it be that 'angels' as we are forever being forced to see them all wispy and Disneyesque are a Christeo/western manifestation, and the fact that Tarot was suppressed and condemned by the Church somehow makes people not want to combine the two - Arthur Waite aside?

Fantastic observation!

Padma

If someone could ever come up with a deck made of the true nature of angels (they are frightening, and powerful - I dare not even say their names...) then I might consider getting the deck. Although I would likely then be a bit worried about reading with it :)

magpie9

Old testament angels were in no way wispy or cuddly, or even apparently well-disposed towards humans. More like tough bike-messengers in heavy traffic, on a mission. They where terrifying. I don't know where the Christians got their sweetie-pie angels from, but it certainly wasn't the Jews.

greatdane

you're all reminding me of others I dislike!

Anime/manga....who came up with that and tarot? Dolphins, unicorns and tarot? OK I LIKE dolphins and I'm sure I would love unicorns in person, but I don't get what they have to do with tarot. Neither do I get what stick people, gummi bears or a zillion other things have to do with tarot other than as a novelty deck. But I guess if they read well for someone, they read well. For me, not so much. Looking at my profile, yes, it does appear I am a fairly picky crone.

Padma

Actually, I find the Gummi Bear deck peaceful to contemplate. The art is clean, the details are minimal, and I kind of like the little "o" their mouths make, as they fall from the Tower. :)

Oddity

I won't say I'm never _ever_ going to get this or that kind of deck, because there may always be exceptions to the rule... but so far, I really haven't been interested in any unicorn or dragon deck. In fact, any deck that is themed like that, be it unicorns, cats, dogs, bunnies, aliens, mermaids or whatever... they just seem like novelties to me. Not to say they can't be cute and all, but they don't work for me. I'm not interested enough in whatever theme creature they feature to find them worth buying.

On the other hand, I adore the old Alice in Wonderland deck which is a pure RWS clone with Alice-inspired imagery, and I'm sure many would see that one as nothing but a novelty... :) I guess it comes down to personal taste. And I do have two vampire decks. Vampires are my favorite monster. But I still don't like every vampire deck out there. There has to be something more than just "hey look, vampires!" to appeal to me. Great art perhaps, atmosphere, new take on card meanings, something different.

Edit: good art makes me forgive almost any boring theme. Interesting takes on card meanings/themes can make me forgive art that's not perfect. I mostly decide on a deck-by-deck basis, I think.

Zelmira

I do not reject any tarot for the theme, but for the coloring. I do not like too dark, kind of gothic tarots. Most of the time I have to see a sample before I decide if it resonates with my energies. Some, for sure I will never spend a penny on them.

Take it back. I won't by erotic tarots.

Zelmira

Chronata

I don't think there is a single theme that I won't at least consider...

unless...is Crappy Collage considered a theme?