Themes You don't see yourself buying

tarotbear

Ditto for Angels, ditto for overly-cutesy decks, or ones with rainbows and unicorns.

Not to say that a deck cannot be FUN - there are a lot of fun decks out there {The Housewives tarot springs to mind}.

No animal decks with animals dressed as people - that is the stuff for children's fairy tales.

Annabelle

There's no theme I'd outright say "no" to except for angels -- the traditional Judeo-Christian sort, I should clarify. I'm fine with some decks that go a more gothic, dark route with angels.

If it's a tarot deck, and not "light" angel-themed, then I'll at least consider it. I am, after all, a collector.

I don't do oracle decks, though, or Lenormand.

Disa

I used to say I don't like this theme or that, but I've been proven wrong so many times I'm afraid to say anything at all.

I mean, seriously- I NEVER in a million years thought I would like the Victorian Romantic Tarot- too girly I thought, to pretty, too ladylike- I am NOT ladylike. But I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that deck- it's none of those things to me. It's one of my top 5 go-to decks.

Likewise the Vanessa Tarot-no that is NOT for me, I thought- WRONG- love it.

Sometimes it feels the decks I do not resonate with are the very decks I NEED. They address some part of my life or my self that is lacking and point it out to me.

I have to say I do not resonate with angels AT ALL, but then- a group I'm in started discussing the Dark Angels Tarot and, well- these are not your everyday angels. These angels I can deal with (It doesn't hurt that a lot of them look like people from 80's hairbands to me and I'm all about 80's hair bands :p )

Anyway,I guess the happy, fluffy, unicorn decks are still not anything I gravitate towards. Also,as Tarot bear mentioned- animals with clothes on, I dunno I don't like that anymore than people with animal heads.

Oh, and I don't like collages and morbid type decks with a disturbing factor. I can happily do dark, but not disturbing.

Emily

I'm not keen on animals dressed up, although I had to talk myself out of getting the BC deck, and I too don't like animal heads on human bodies or human heads on animal bodies although if it's an Egyptian deck or the Liber T then it's ok. :)

Kokoai

As uncommon as it is, I have no interest in any Rider-Waite decks, I just can't connect with the imagery. It's too toony for me, which is another style I can't connect with.

I also see no appeal in really bright vivid colored decks, most pop culture decks (I'd get them more as novelties than for actual use), I have nothing against angel decks but I've yet to find any I like. Any decks that feel all fun and games in the imagery also put me off.

Le Fanu

ah yes, Dragons.

It is a theme that will always, always look samey. It's impossible to make a dragon deck in which you can distinguish the cards. And that new LoS Draconian (?) one is no exception. I suppose it would only work if it was a deck with one card then I might buy it.

tarot heart

ah yes, Dragons.

It is a theme that will always, always look samey. It's impossible to make a dragon deck in which you can distinguish the cards. And that new LoS Draconian (?) one is no exception. I suppose it would only work if it was a deck with one card then I might buy it.

Now there's an idea, combine all themes in one deck! What would we call it? hmmmmm...

The Hot Mess Tarot!! :D

VGimlet

Oh, and I forgot animals dressed like people. Although I do like the Bohemian cats, and another Halloween-y deck that has a little bit of that. (Don't ask me the name...) But in general, I prefer animals to be doing mostly animal type things. It's okay if they have hats, for some reason. :p

But in general, I'm adding that to my "no" list for themes.

But I agree with Disa, there are exceptions to every darn rule I've ever made about tarot.

LadyV

I'm still new to the various types of tarot decks available, but from the few I've seen around the internet, I don't like themes that are dark or disturbing. The Dark Carnival and Deviant Moon decks gave me such a negative response I had to close the page. I'm not really a fan of abstract imagery either. I typically like colorful images, animals and fantasy creatures, though I've yet to find any that really speak to me. However, after someone mentioned it here, I decided to look at the Vanessa Deck. Why? That's my name. :D Although pop-culture, girl power stuff typically isn't my forte, I actually liked the straightforward and humorous feel of the cards. The Five of Wands actually made me chuckle.

KristinCali

Very interesting to read peoples responses. I'm surprised how many people say no to angels because I see/hear so much about angel themes, I thought they were super popular. I myself am not into angels or fairies. And I love cats and vampires but don't want them as the main theme of my decks.