One Deck Wonder

Madame Squee

LittleBuddha said:
Now, now, my lady! This is good. This is the kind of feelings we want to learn to overcome. If it was easy, there would be no point doing this experiment.

I have had a few feelings. About the Voodoo last night, after seeing Solataire post a thread on it - I was thinking how original it would be to use that one instead, how different an experience it would be. And then in Moonbow's pip thread, I thought about the lines in the Adrian. I am still thinking about how nice it would be to interpret them and the colours.

But then ...

I remember the stories waiting to be arroused in the Victorian Romantic. If I ducked out now it would be like missing an episode of a tv series and not finding out who done it. It would be like arranging to meet a friend and not showing up. I am just starting to get to know them. It would be such a shame to say hello and never get to the point of having real conversations.
LB

Of course, you're absolutely correct, Little Buddha. Thank you so much for the eloquent reminder -- I deeply appreciate it :) I think my biggest hurdle is in thinking that I have to love and connect with every card in the deck. Yesterday, XX Karma, was bothering the heck out of me, because that's not how I view Judgement. When I look at the picture on the TotOP card, I'm seeing Death, The Wheel, Justice -- lots of interesting stuff, but not Judgement, which started me thinking (as usual) about how I loved the Judgement card in the Cosmic deck, or the Buckland Romani deck, or the Druidcraft deck. However, after I read your post this morning, I took out the TotOP "Karma" and meditated on it for at least 15 minutes and saw a connection I didn't see before... maybe we'll be okay after all. Then, I performed a "how-are-we-doing" spread with the whole deck, and the 10 of cups turned up in the "dragons-to-overcome" position & I laughed, because that's what I want all right: the PERFECT family! However, I realized a long time ago, there ain't no such animal!!!

LittleBuddha said:
Last night I went to Borders - *gasp*

I always go to the third floor and look at the tarot. But as I walked in, I thought 'I don't need to'. What would I find that is not in my Victorian Romantic? And I knew that for now, there was nothing I needed.

So I stayed on the ground floor for a bit and looked at the fashion magazines.

And then I took the escalator to the second floor, browsed the art section and bought a big hardback book of street Graffiti.

And then left.

LB

I'm gasping, too! You are my hero, Little Buddha! There's no way I could go into Borders or any other source of Tarot right now. This weekend is going to be so tough, because my routine includes visiting all the used bookstores, metaphysical shops and retail outlets -- in that order -- until I find a deck I think will read well or fit into my collection or one that I can re-sell or trade. I keep thinking of quitting cigarettes and how free I felt when I realized I could sit through a meeting or class without longing for a smoke, and when break came, I could do anything else instead of rushing to the exit to stand on the sidewalk and puff that cigarette. That's what it's going to be like when I can get through a weekend without visiting a single book store of any kind. I can sit home and sew a Tarot quilt or go give free readings at the coffee shop (a fantasy of mine).

Thank you everyone for your marvelous support! Yesterday was a just a blip on the screen. Today, I'm in focus!

Laugh & be well,
mme.

(Wait a minute, do you think all my trouble could have been caused by all the chocolate I ate??? Well, if it was, no worries, it's gone now ;-)

Pook

ok, heres my update. I was doing sooo good with the not shopping, not ogling online, not thinking of new decks....and then from nowhere (or the hands of my 3 year old :p) My new Buckland Romani landed on the floor of my reading space. And I figured "What the heck...just skimming thru the book couldnt hurt anything, right?" (The cards are still shrinkwrapped since I bought it very recently (about 2 days before this one-deck-wonder thread got its start) and I wouldnt dream of un-shrinkwrapping any deck right now....but the book....that different....)

LOL and I got a visual of a whole hoard of AT'ers dog-piling on top of me prying the book out of my fingers and slapping my hand. SO, I put it back on the shelf, and went to the fabric store to buy some material for a new bag for my long-term companion the Victorian Romantic. I drew the HP when i asked what color the bag should be, so its teal and gold. I think I got enough material for about 30 bags, so for the moment...disaster averted.

EarthAngel2911

You guys are so funny! :D Actually, I haven't had any urges to go to my local Borders or even "shop" on Amazon. In fact, the other night I got off work a little early and headed to the library where I took three hours to "study" my Universal Fantasy.

MY problem has been wanting to dig through my own collection and add to this exercise. I've made up an Excel list of all my decks, gone through them all and arranged them in order of which one will be next. :p I'm still wondering if I shouldn't have picked my beloved Victorian Romantic, as I've been going through withdrawals not being able to handle it and shuffle it. :( (And my one confession is that I've been reading the Victorian Romantic threads on the Study Forum. Not participating, mind you, but reading them none the less.)

Other than those little bumps, everything is working out very well. I worked on two cards last night, and it's just amazing to me how much more I can see when I take the time to look. I really am loving this exercise!

Blessings,
Karen

lunakasha

Pook said:
LOL and I got a visual of a whole hoard of AT'ers dog-piling on top of me prying the book out of my fingers and slapping my hand. SO, I put it back on the shelf, and went to the fabric store to buy some material for a new bag for my long-term companion the Victorian Romantic.

:eek: Ooooh that is quite the visual Pook, hehehe!!!

Well....I have been pretty good actually.....BUT yesterday I was at B&N and happened upon a gorgeous tarot book that I had considered buying more than once, and this time I gave in to temptation. :(

However.....this particular book is more suited to another deck (pips) and I plan to keep the book out of sight (out of mind?) until after I am finished working with the VR.

I don't regret the purchase.....(please be gentle). ;)

Meanwhile, I am enjoying the quality time spent with the VR, and I think this month will pass quickly.....I am hoping to stick with it for two months, but for now just taking it one day at a time. I am happy with my choice of Tarot companion, absolutely.

I drew the HP when i asked what color the bag should be, so its teal and gold. I think I got enough material for about 30 bags, so for the moment...disaster averted.

Teal and gold.....that sounds so GORGEOUS!!! I hope you will post a pic of the bag when you have finished.

:) Luna

a_shikhs

Its been quite a few days and Ive been very loyal to my Victorian Romantic Tarot. :) I use it everyday for daily advice and keep removing it to study the cards. So far its been great using this deck. And I really havent felt the urge to use any other deck. Im wondering what will I do when I receive this huge parcel full of decks, a lovely AT'er has sent me as a gift. It should be arriving any day now. Hope I dont wander off with any deck. New mantra for me now- Gotta stick to my VR no matter what. :D

Cocobird55

I haven't been tempted to use any of my other decks, or buy any more decks. But the gold edition of the Baroque Bohemian Cats that I ordered months ago is going to be shipping next week. It will be very hard to ignore them! I originally ordered them very early so that I would have them for Christmas, but there have been all kinds of delays. Any suggestions?

Pook

Cocobird55 said:
I haven't been tempted to use any of my other decks, or buy any more decks. But the gold edition of the Baroque Bohemian Cats that I ordered months ago is going to be shipping next week. It will be very hard to ignore them! I originally ordered them very early so that I would have them for Christmas, but there have been all kinds of delays. Any suggestions?

Stash the package away where you keep your Christmas items and open it next Christmas?

a_shikhs

Cocobird55 said:
But the gold edition of the Baroque Bohemian Cats that I ordered months ago is going to be shipping next week. It will be very hard to ignore them! I originally ordered them very early so that I would have them for Christmas, but there have been all kinds of delays. Any suggestions?
Oh yesss!!! I completely forgot about the Gold BBC. Mine too should arrive in a few weeks. Hope Im able to control myself from using them as its been quite tough not using the regular edition of BBC.

Pook said:
Stash the package away where you keep your Christmas items and open it next Christmas?
Lol, now that would be like pushing it too far! ;) 8 months for xmas which seems like eternity now. whewwww... :(

Acacia

I feel your pain :)

I have the Gold BBC on order too. I just may sneak a peak at the cards, but I will not read with them. Actually, I'm quite proud of myself, I had a bit of a tarot buying binge before starting the One Deck Wonder and I have not removed the wrap from the Shakespearean Tarot which arrived two days ago. I just am not sure I can show the same restraint with the Gold BBC.

Cocobird55 said:

Little Baron

Had a bit of an itch for the Phantasmagoric but left well enough alone.

Think we are going to go through these pangs to begin with. But soon enough, if we don't give in, we will see the benefits.

You either want to do this or not.

The other decks are going absolutely nowhere. Just think that you will give them the time they deserves after this study. Begin a new study then.

This is all about the moment. It is enjoying the moment with the deck you have CHOSEN and watching it unfold. It is not about rushing through the six months so that we can get our grubby mits on another deck. It is not a prison sentence. We are doing this BECAUSE these very urges disrupted our focus and produced a lack of connection. There is no exceptions to the rule. Give the deck to a friend to look after until the time is up. And I hope that if this works [and there is no reason why it shouldn't], you will look at that deck and say 'it's nice .. but I am quite enjoying the deck I have been using for six months because I really am getting to understand it's language now'. When you start getting a grip on the court cards, understanding the patterns, rhymes, accent and humour of your CHOSEN deck, the others will feel like a pale option next to the relationship you have built with the 'One Deck Wonder' pack.

I keep wondering if I have chosen the right one. Deep down, we know we have. In the past week, I have considered whether I should have chosen the Morgan Greer, Adrian, Voodoo, Prague, Ages, Druidcraft. This is how rediculous these nagging feelings are. But they WILL go away if we do not continue to feed them.

THE MORE YOU RESIST, THE EASIER THIS WILL GET. AND THE BETTER BOTH YOUR READINGS AND UNDERSTANDING OF THE CARDS WILL BE. IF YOU SWITCH, DROP OUT OR SECRETLY PLAY WITH ANOTHER, YOU WILL NOT KNOW!

Just to get things in perspective, it is playing with more than one tarot deck we are are trying to ween ourself of of .. not give up Heroin.
LB