ATC AT *majors only* Completed Deck Discussion and Viewing

euripides

Gayla, are you lurking? I'd like to hear more about your Wheel (or did I miss a post? I haven't had my morning brew yet....) I thought the tail of the snake forming the infinity sign was an interesting twist on the snake-eating-its-tail infinity. Is there a suggesting of phallic symbolism there too (given the usual symbolism of the World it would be appropriate). I like its simplicity, the stark symbol... I wonder if you'd envision other cards like this one in a deck? An unusual choice of colours too - subtle and contemporary.

blackroseivy

Actually, she's right - I wasn't thinking! :( I realized that just after I posted about addresses.

Well, I know what I can do to compromise. :)

I can take the original scan - DIGITAL, that is! - & post it so that people have a better idea how they were MEANT to look.

Now, here's the cool part:

If anyone wants a replacement card after seeing these images, why then just PM me & I'll do one up for yiz!! :D

blackroseivy

Btw:

I am not neglecting all of you - I just have yet to see & handle the deck for myself, in person. :) I will comment QUITE extensively upon my 1st perusal tomorrow, promise! :D

Oh - & Chronata, that angel is silver! :p This is what I mean about the originals, & the low-res scans not matching up.

Bat Chicken

I really am enjoying the comments others are making about this deck. I am getting so much from others' thoughts!

The Sun does remind me of ancient jewelry as jackdaw* suggested! I really like that..... I'd like a pendant like that actually!

I love the sweetness of the Fool. Do you ever look at a baby and wonder what they are thinking? What they see? Really great idea...

The most striking thing about the Magician is the look in his eyes (third eye aside...;)). I have seen your other paintings, Chronata, and you have a way with characters. He's brilliant.

Still working my way through... Slow as usual! ;)

Eraserqueen

I want everyone to know I love ALL of the cards and will comment on each one seprately soon. I had a slight allergic reaction to the coating applied to the cards, but have set them in a lower bathroom we don't use to help air them out! :D Can't wait to 'play' with them :)

jackdaw*

I noticed the smell too. I guess that must be the coating PlainCards offered for their "coatable" cards.

Bat Chicken

Me too!!! I thought it was just me... I hope it fades soon - I have to keep putting them away!

OnePotato

jackdaw* said:
I noticed the smell too. I guess that must be the coating PlainCards offered for their "coatable" cards.
This is the EXACT smell of the printmaking shops back in art school.
Ahhhhhhhhh.......

Interesting.
It kind of stinks, but
Sense Memory is powerful stuff...

OnePotato

Upon further reflection...

Well, I've had some time to digest....
I would echo a lot of earlier comments, and here are a few more...

0 - The Fool - starrystarrynight
Ahhhh...! The pleasures of a surreal fool baby, floating on a green field! I say an excellent deck opener, and doubley good for an avatar...

I - The Magician - Chronata
I believe I hear hurdy gurdy music in the background, and maybe a snake charmer in the next booth. Fabulously atmospheric. I imagine that's a paintbrush he's holding, while the disembodied hands are put to use juggling. Did he paint himself? What does he see with that third eye? Somewhere there's an etching needle and some copper plate calling out to you, Chronata. One of these days, I should really like to see what you could do with them...

II - The High Priestess - DraagonStorm
And here is our ethereal hostess, whisping around in the sky above the alien highway. I really like the fact that you actually took the photos that you used here, and came up with a color palette that is so rich and regal.

III - The Empress - Tk2dsky
Modern real world mythology, nicely done. I wonder if the star-knobs on the cabinets make up the number? (Well, anyway, they do.) And thank you for pitching in at the last minute with a second card!

IV - The Emperor - QueenofPentacles
Bold simplicity can be very effective, as you demonstrate here. The emperor is instantly recognizable in its pared down symbolism.

V - The Hierophant - rebecca-smiles
I love the bees.
I get a vague feeling of Joseph Cornell. Nostalgia for a place you've never been, but know so very well.
Interesting...I know that face, but taken out of context of the rest of the painting, I can't place it.
I'm looking forward to seeing more from you!

VI - The Lovers - blackroseivy (formerly danubhe)
I can see the old master influence here, even in 72dpi. Adam & Eve in the Garden of Eden, perhaps?

VII - The Chariot - Langustl
Ahhh, Langustl! Now here's a painter with a point of view! Our late addition was well worth the wait. And what a great spin on the subject matter! Pure fun.

VIII - Strength - HudsonGray
Fabulous line work, with a complex message. A trip back to the golden age of llustration. Lush and expressive. And thanks for the LWIS. (Little White Instruction Sheet)

IX - The Hermit - Tk2dsky
Now this is utterly charming. I love the firefly! I think this little guy lives out in my neighbor's yard. Great color and typography.

X - Wheel of Fortune - Gayla
Very inventive and graphic. Interesting to incorporate the zodiac along with a reference to Ouroburos. (Even though he's not biting his tail, I'm pretty sure that's him.) A big picture of fortune.

XI - Justice - April
MrsOnePotato and I were talking (behind April's back) about how much we liked this one. We'd really like to see a whole deck done like this! It has tons of character and charm.

XII - The Hanged Man - valeria
A very dynamic hanged man, with a runic twist. He seems to have a lot to think about in the water. Very nice, lively composition.

XIII - Death - Bat Chicken
Very atmospheric and theatrical. Obviously, I love the little scaled down main character standing under the tree! I've seen some of your other paintings in the community decks, and they're all quite beautifully done. I hope to see more in the future.

XIV - Temperance - QueenofPentacles
This card has a bold clarity that is hard to beat. An homage to pure symbolism. You should do a whole deck without any figures.

XV - The Devil - Eraserqueen
A very shiney little devil. He definitely looks like he has been up to something... You have a very nice drawing style, and very solid sense of composition.

XVI - The Tower - MrsOnePotato
A traditional tower, hit by a splash of color. Very graphic. I like the three sided borders, and I'm happy to see the final result turned out so well.

XVII - The Star - OnePotato
Well, I tried out a few things here, and learned a few things. Overall, I'm happy enough.

XVIII - The Moon - DraagonStorm
Very mysterious moon. Interesting how the more abstract parts let you see whatever you want. Great color, and an interesting Dune reference.

XIX - The Sun - blackroseivy (formerly danubhe
Makes an interesting pair with The Lovers. The use of gold in both is a very nice touch, and the texture gives it the look of ancient vellum.

XX - Judgement - Euripides
Absolutely beautiful, with a tremendous amount of thought behind it. I can almost hear that plaintive wail of the trumpet in the cold night air. You're obviously a master painter. How big is the original?

XXI - The World - valeria
Oh, to be standing on a metaphysical plane, with a backpack full of symbols, and the earth as a backdrop... What better way to end a deck? (It's a shame this is the only way to get to the moon, these days.)

Once again,
well done everyone!

Best,
OnePotato

blackroseivy

Thanx so much for the thoughts! :D

The cards are all so beautiful, it's hard for me to pick out a fave; but it really has to go to "The High Priestess"! :D That one is SOOO like my fave-of-all-time artist, Odilon Redon; DS, do you know him? If not, you should DEFINITELY V him out! :D

I will also go through the cards 1 at a time, shortly! :D