DECK OF THE MONTH - JUNE 2013 sign up thread

Aeric

My Swords study is posted.

I think the biggest challenge of this deck is that all 78 cards follow a strict numbered sequence to demonstrate the process of spiritual transformation, from the Fool to the World, and from the Ace of Wands to the King of Coins. Unless you work with the images intuitively, the meanings are locked in as various stages of a process, which probably makes this deck ideal for questions relating to time, phases of change, and growth.

Kathy123

Topic for discussion:

Do you have a favourite tarot book? Is there one that sits on your shelf and you are drawn to it over and over again? What is it you love about it?

Aeric

If we're talking a book to teach Tarot, no. The only help book I ever read was Eden Gray's guide when I was just starting out. I keep a copy of the Book of Thoth for when I use my Thoth deck, but have yet to study it hardcore, likewise the Pictorial Key bookmarked on my server.

In terms of a book that contains Tarot, a month ago I borrowed Italo Calvino's Castle of Crossed Destinies and fell in love with it, and have ordered it. I'm a big Calvino fan, and it's not his best work, but it will have a place of honour on my shelf for being some of the best Tarot fiction.

In fact it's also helped study Vetrate because it uses the Marseille deck to explain its stories. Calvino interprets the cards literally by saying the Star was a maiden pouring out jugs in a river, or the Two of Swords was a duel between two knights, or Ten of Cups (nine upright with one cup sideways) was a person who got drunk at a banquet in front of guests.

Second to Castle is Piers Anthony's Tarot, which is interesting but I find difficult to read, psychadelic high science fiction.

conurelover

Do you have a favourite tarot book? Is there one that sits on your shelf and you are drawn to it over and over again? What is it you love about it?

My current kick is the Mystical Origins of the Tarot on the kindle. I read it so much I think I have parts memorized. It helps with Marseilles types decks. I have been checking out as many tarot books that I can from my library.

I am reading a book right now called the Scarlett Contessa. It is a story told by a woman in Italy in the late 15th century that could read the cards.

By the way, so my daily draw MA card was Death. I know it sounds silly but I think the card is tied to our suit of swords this week like Justice so I will wait to post about the Death card when I am doing swords.

Aeric

The activities I'm examining for July all involve "traditional" decks wth 22 Majors + 56 Minors. Do we have a frequent history of people studying with decks that have different arragements?

Kathy123

The activities I'm examining for July all involve "traditional" decks wth 22 Majors + 56 Minors. Do we have a frequent history of people studying with decks that have different arragements?

Besides this month, where we have an increase in non-RWS themed decks, it is generally for the most part traditional. There has been a deck of the month in April, May and now June. The first page of each month lists the participants and their decks if you would like to review them:

May: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=195142
April: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=193851

Mi-Shell

As far as I can see into the future - July - I will continue with my current deck, but since I established - at least for myself- which card corresponds to which in a regular deck, I would be quite fine with any structured exercises of any form :)

If right now,it seems, that I am slowing down with my study, that is,also, because I do not want to rush it "to get finished" with this deck. There is more depts. to it and I want to take my time, journal and post about it on my new blog and here in the study forums.

Also, I mightto some extent, follow along with the Minchiate, to get another stab at it.....

Kathy123

As far as I can see into the future - July - I will continue with my current deck, but since I established - at least for myself- which card corresponds to which in a regular deck, I would be quite fine with any structured exercises of any form :)

If right now,it seems, that I am slowing down with my study, that is,also, because I do not want to rush it "to get finished" with this deck. There is more depts. to it and I want to take my time, journal and post about it on my new blog and here in the study forums.

Also, I mightto some extent, follow along with the Minchiate, to get another stab at it.....

I was going to say that the only "non-traditional" decks have usually been with Mi-Shell, and she adapts to follow along with the group :)

Mi-Shell, I'm glad you are connecting with your deck so much! I am loving mine this month too! This is the first month that I am not in a hurry to part with it and start the new month :)

Aeric

Here's what I intend. I learn a deck through small, focused exercises that get deep into how you understand what you see in your cards. I like to be flexible and creative and sometimes allow you to choose your spread or cards for the week.

Please critique the style because I need to fine tune it before we begin.

----------------

Each week is a three-exercise package called an ARM. The three tasks can be done in any order, but usually A-R-M works best. They are sometimes driven by Focus Cards, certain cards that you pick at the beginning of the week, sometimes not.

Activity - an exercise in real life based on the Focus Cards
Reading - a spread using the Focus Cards, which may be given or one of your choosing
Meditation - a study of the Focus Cards

Your ARM can be posted during our scheduled times. Daily draws and additional readings are up to you.

June 30th and July 31st are capped with a Back Study, so by the end of the month you will have completed four ARMs - twelve exercises - and two back studies.

Sunday June 30th: Beginning at the Back

Turn the entire deck face down and hold it in your hands. Look carefully at the back. Contemplate the image the designer placed there. This image supports all of the cards; it's the book cover, the title page, of the deck. It is the first thing you see when you're shuffling and the last thing you see when you're gathering the cards up. Trace the design with your fingers, follow lines with your eyes. What do the shapes and colours of the design remind you of? Why do you think they were chosen? Can you relate to this image personally? Even the plainest, nondescript pattern can have a special meaning to you alone. What does it say to you about what you will see when you turn the cards?

If you can, post a screenshot of the back, or find one online. If you can't do this, describe the image.

Week 1: Major Life Influences - Post July 7th

Focus Cards: Shuffle thoroughly, then flip through the deck and pull the first three Majors you encounter that have a living being as their primary character. You can include supernatural beings like the Devil or the Temperance angel, but if a Major has only inanimate objects, ignore it. If your deck is abstract and has no beings, choose three Majors at random.

A - Find three people or animals throughout your week who you think resemble the characters or images on these cards. Ideally, try to equate the cards with people with whom you're not too familiar, or even complete strangers. Describe how the traditional or given interpretations of the card mesh or contrast with other aspects of their personalities. How does visual symbolism of people and animals relate to the living, breathing thing? Write a few sentences about each, omitting real names of people and other personal information.

R - Perform a five-card reading with these cards, inserting them randomly into three of the positions and randomly choosing two more cards (any). How do these new cards change your perception of those whom you already know? How much of what you now discover affects what you previously believed when the characters stood alone?

M - Choose one of the cards, study it, and write a paragraph in the nature of the character. You can frame it as an explanation, or role play a monologue. Become the character or carry on a conversation with it. e.g. If you chose the Rider-Waite Hierophant, you have him sitting before two priests, giving the benediction, so what does he say, or what would you say to him? After seeing this character "live," and reading with them, you can become a voice for them, or speak to them. The card's meaning may become richer than you expect.

Kathy123

Aeric, this looks amazing!!!!

And truly adds to the benefits of members rotating the lead.... we all learn new things in the process! Thank you so very much for putting the time and effort in.

Just a heads up, the moderators want all the readings in the "group readings thread", and any discussions about the decks in this thread, so when you post activities, if there are readings involved, please link the group spread thread, and inform people that is where they are to be posted :)

Feel free to cut and past my initial post on the thread and tweek it any way you see fit.

Also, if you are planning to start on June 30th, I would make sure you have the sign up thread up about a week before so it gives people time to sign up.

Thanks again for taking on this task... we all benefit from each other :)