DECK OF THE MONTH - JUNE 2013 sign up thread

Mi-Shell

Today I have cards from my deck all over the house and stuck into all kinds of books about Celtic culture and artefacts. see, some of the cards of the Tarocchi Celtici have archaeological finds depicted in the images and I am trying to find out, where they are all from and what they were used for.
It is a lot of fun and I am loooooving it :)
- Even hubby got in on the act!
All will eventually end up in posts in the study group and my new Tarot blog.
so far however, I am not quite ready for that step yet...

Aeric

My LWB doesn't go into much detail about the sources of inspiration for the Vetrate images, which is a bit disappointing. Seeing the sources of the images would help ground the interpretations a bit, but I'll take what I can get.

My Fountain spread is posted. This week will be Swords study. Instead of posting pics of the whole suit, I'll just post particular cards I find interesting.

Mi-Shell

Aeric, can you do a search on goooogle images like - under stained glass church windows and ... maybe find something? Or is it all the invention of the artist?

Aeric

He's specific yet ambiguous about the few cards where they're mentioned.

The Fool is on a capital in a 12th century church of Saone-et-Loire. He doesn't say which one.

Justice is the representation of Alchemy in the northern rose window of Laon.

The Page of Cups is a window from San Petronio in Bologna.

Not much else to go on. Most of the Minors without people are undoubtedly his own design. It's more an homage to the art form than a history of it. I'd never be able to track down sources without years of study.

Aeric

Vetrate Angels

Since I'm on an angel kick, I wanted to examine two cards that in traditional Marseille decks contain adult angels: Temperance and Judgement. I'm excluding cards like The Lovers which typically contains an infant cherub, sometimes seen as an infant Cupid. Vetrate's Lovers also has an infant.

Vetrate doesn't identify its angels by name, but the depictions are inspiring enough to draw some comparisons.

I love Temperance, because unlike all the other angels in the deck, who have plain white robes and white wings, this one wears a vibrant pink robe and has rainbow-coloured wings! I might be encouraged to draw a comparison with symbolism in modern sexual orientation movements, but I highly doubt that Scapini intended it this way.

Since Vetrate deals with the exchanges of energies, Temperance completely balances them in a glorious rainbow. Colour symbolism is very importance in a stained glass deck, but rainbows are less frequent in this one. Another Major that presents a rainbow is The Sun, which shows a ring of angels fracturing the sun's light into the colour spectrum. So I take the balanced energies to be a very positive factor and assurance that all will be well, fair, and just., with the twin suns behind it even more confirmation.

On the other hand, the context of the Vetrate Judgement is very different from what most decks show. Typically, there is a single angel on a cloud in a clear sky blowing the trumpet to awaken the dead. The same scene is depicted differently here that gives the card a more foreboding interpretation. Two feet, presumably God's, are planted on the backs of two minor angels blowing trumpets to awaken the dead. The sky has darkened to a bloody red, and the Sun and the Moon have grim, angry visages. The Moon has turned red. Scapini says this is to depict the harshness of the Day of Judgement in the Book of Revelations, when the natural world will be destroyed by the wrath of God at the same time as the human world is judged.

The lone angel is exchanged for two who look the same as others throughout the deck, and their being physically dominated by God certainly makes the scene more sinister than joyous. It is as if the subject of the card were not the dead being raised, but the unseen living who will be judged in wrath. Rather than signifying rebirth and absolution, this is card of dire warning that a process is coming to an end, and the reader had best be prepared to face the results.

Interestingly a third, unlikely person in Vetrate also happens to be winged: The Empress!

She's the only one of the ordinarly human Major figures who is winged. Unfortunately Scapini doesn't say what stained glass image inspired this one, and I'd love to know what made him choose it. But it is clear that he has identified the Empress as the Woman Clothed with the Sun of Revelations, who is given two wings of an eagle that she might fly into the wilderness to escape the great dragon. Waite doesn't give his Empress wings in the RWS, but also identifies her as the same person, though she is "not the soul that has attained wings." Therefore in both decks, the Empress is not a true angel, an immortal spirit created by God, but a different character altogether.

The winged Empress is therefore even more important than an ordinary human woman. She is Mary, or Eve, a figure of important participation in Biblical history.

Attachments

• TempJudge.JPG
    TempJudge.JPG
    202.5 KB · Views: 56
  • Sole.JPG
    Sole.JPG
    279.5 KB · Views: 54
  • Empress.JPG
    Empress.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 56

conurelover

I did a spread last night but it was totally different than the one called for in a group spread because of a situation that arose during the day yesterday. I use this same one a lot.

It used six cards in a clockwise motion. The first 3 going towards the bottom of the clock were what isn't helping the situation. The 3 going up towards the top of the clock were what is helping the situation. A card in the center was a female court card.

The situation involved a close female familymember that encountered a scary medical situation this past week and the fact that she was refusing medical attention against everyone's wishes. That was the situation to help me reflect on the case of her refusing medical attention.

The spread became too personal to share this week but she did call the doctor today pheww.

Aeric I love your deck's Sun card. I too love angels.

Aeric

I just learned that the angel of Temperance in the RWS is meant to be Archangel Michael, the Angel of the Sun, with the astrological symbol of the Sun on his head.

Vetrate pulls a few elements from RWS, not as many as Marseille, but enough to see some similarities. Scapini didn't rely entirely on TdM to shape this deck. I think it connects the Sun and Temperance cards then that Michael is the angel depicted! Through him the radiant sunlight is broken into its prismatic colours, as the ring of lesser angels does on the Sun card.

Kathy123

I did a spread last night but it was totally different than the one called for in a group spread because of a situation that arose during the day yesterday. I use this same one a lot.

It used six cards in a clockwise motion. The first 3 going towards the bottom of the clock were what isn't helping the situation. The 3 going up towards the top of the clock were what is helping the situation. A card in the center was a female court card.

The situation involved a close female familymember that encountered a scary medical situation this past week and the fact that she was refusing medical attention against everyone's wishes. That was the situation to help me reflect on the case of her refusing medical attention.

The spread became too personal to share this week but she did call the doctor today pheww.

Aeric I love your deck's Sun card. I too love angels.

Conurelover, I'm sorry to hear about your friend. I am sure that she appreciates the love and support and she will make the best decision for her :)

I tried the spread last night, but I had some doubts jump into my head as I was shuffling, and the resulting spread showed that my heart and head weren't into it. I will try that spread again, but I am going to give it some time. I am loving the deck, it has a nice up-lifting quality to it.

Kathy123

I just learned that the angel of Temperance in the RWS is meant to be Archangel Michael, the Angel of the Sun, with the astrological symbol of the Sun on his head.

Vetrate pulls a few elements from RWS, not as many as Marseille, but enough to see some similarities. Scapini didn't rely entirely on TdM to shape this deck. I think it connects the Sun and Temperance cards then that Michael is the angel depicted! Through him the radiant sunlight is broken into its prismatic colours, as the ring of lesser angels does on the Sun card.

Aeric, I am loving your images and studies on this deck. It is so beautiful. I don't have much knowledge, and I have never studied or seen a Marseille deck.

Kathy123

Today I have cards from my deck all over the house and stuck into all kinds of books about Celtic culture and artefacts. see, some of the cards of the Tarocchi Celtici have archaeological finds depicted in the images and I am trying to find out, where they are all from and what they were used for.
It is a lot of fun and I am loooooving it :)
- Even hubby got in on the act!
All will eventually end up in posts in the study group and my new Tarot blog.
so far however, I am not quite ready for that step yet...

Mi-Shell, sounds like a lot of fun happening at your house over the week! Truly a study of love! I think you should re-think your "next-step", you might surprise yourself :)