Deck of the Week : Sign-Up Thread : Week 70 : December 1st - December 8th

Kathy123

Thoth Tarot

I have been getting along quite well with my Thoth deck this week. I will be on the hunt for the large, white cards if I can find them to view better for my personal work. I love the compactness of this deck, and the readings are very informative and bang on. Very much of a "heavy" tone this week with the readings. Reminds me of my Tarot of Vampyres in that regard (interesting because I hear that is a Thoth based deck). I'm not sure I can continue two weeks with this deck, I'm feeling a bit drained at the moment. I will be picking this deck up again in the future, especially because I love all the symobolism and history and meaning and want to really dive into all of it. Infact today, I was thinking to myself that I'm glad this week is almost at the end, because I am ready for a lighter tarot....

I was thinking about taking a break from this forum for the next few weeks until after the holidays (I think partially due to the heaviness of this weeks deck), then lo and behold.... my VICTORIA ROMANCE was delivered to work..... WOW!!!! This is the first deck that I have purchased that was not off of Amazon.com (mass produced), and I have to say that I will be watching the decks from this supplier in the future, truly breath taking! I can't wait to get home and look at it in more detail.... AND I am in for one more week before the holidays!!!

Eyebright

I have been getting along quite well with my Thoth deck this week. I will be on the hunt for the large, white cards if I can find them to view better for my personal work. I love the compactness of this deck, and the readings are very informative and bang on. Very much of a "heavy" tone this week with the readings. Reminds me of my Tarot of Vampyres in that regard (interesting because I hear that is a Thoth based deck). I'm not sure I can continue two weeks with this deck, I'm feeling a bit drained at the moment. I will be picking this deck up again in the future, especially because I love all the symobolism and history and meaning and want to really dive into all of it. Infact today, I was thinking to myself that I'm glad this week is almost at the end, because I am ready for a lighter tarot....

I was thinking about taking a break from this forum for the next few weeks until after the holidays (I think partially due to the heaviness of this weeks deck), then lo and behold.... my VICTORIA ROMANCE was delivered to work..... WOW!!!! This is the first deck that I have purchased that was not off of Amazon.com (mass produced), and I have to say that I will be watching the decks from this supplier in the future, truly breath taking! I can't wait to get home and look at it in more detail.... AND I am in for one more week before the holidays!!!

Ah glad you will be with us for one more week kathy! I've been using the Victorian Romantic this week, and my daily draw cards have been spot on so far this week :)

Hämy

I loved to work with my Shadowscapes this week. It is hands down, my favourite deck from my collection. There was an instant connection when I first got it and I feel this week we are even more connected. I even had a dream where the main character went through phases from The Hanged Man to The World, me being a bystander, not seen by others and holding these cards in my hands one at a time when the hero went through them. It was a very powerful dream and I think I understand these cards a bit better now.

ladybird

Steampunk Tarot (Moore)

This is my first couple days with the deck and I'm enjoying my readings with it. I was first more interested in the other Steampunk Tarot by Charissa on etsy with the collages (I like collage decks as a rule) but ended up getting this one instead. (I tend to want readable decks and people here de-enabled me on the first Steampunk deck saying it wasn't readable but I may still get Charissa's deck anyway.)

This deck is the perfect size for shuffling (maybe this is because I've been working with the rather large Vampire Tarot the last couple of weeks:p). The artwork and black borders are gorgeous! However, I think that some of the cards are a bit dull and dark which is a tad bit disappointing because they look more illuminated online. I wish these were a bit brighter somehow but I can certainly accept them and use them as they are now. Just sharing in case someone out there sees the scans online and wants to know~they aren't as "lit up" in person, if that makes sense.

A note about the card stock: It used to mean something more to me but I'm beginning to accept the "playing card" stock like the Steampunk Tarot has. I do tend to like a thick card stock but what I'm saying is it's not a deal breaker for me anymore because I tend to treat my decks with care anyway.

The book is thick (at 300pages!) and each description of the card has it's own full page black and white image. I like this because you get a bigger view into the card. The cards are very readable on their own since they are RWS based but Barbara's writing is truly charming and it adds so much to the readings! I've not read a book by her before and am enjoying it very much.

So all in all it's a fantastic set with a great reading deck. (I don't know if I'll ever find that ONE deck that has EVERYTHING I'd like in a tarot so I'm at that point now where I'll just have to accept the decks I get as they are without nitpicking them so much.:))

eta: I also have Llewellyn's High Priestess Steampunk tarot bag that they released to go with the set and it is wonderful!

Mi-Shell

I did not have much time for tarot this week - with a mid-week teaching circle and X-mas orders coming out of my ears... :(
I barely managed my daily draws. But the Kalevala Tarot and me will be companions for the next week as well.

Mi-Shell

I don't know what it is with me lately, maybe I'm just getting old and cynical... :p
I seem to have a hard time with decks/books (like the oracle I'm currently using - Crystal Deva Cards) that have a lot of New Age, "channeled" information in them. I love rocks and stones but much of the information in the book seems so far out even to me. Its not just this deck, but others too - many that I used to love years ago.

I can relate to what you are saying, but I don't have anything worthwhile to contribute really. The "New Age" and I had a falling out many years ago, and we've never made up.

Well at least it's nice to know I have company! :D

I am right here, joining the club!
What makes matters more difficult is, I will have a whole teaching circle of New Agers next week, that think the "Energy coming over us on the 12 12 12" will change their lives forever -
- Wellllll - NOT, ifffff they just sit there and talk and do NOTHING!

BelovedK

I was kind of surprised, but I got really helpful readings from the DoTM Tarot, I also used the Tea Leaf Oracle (It was my round card week) The art even started to grow on me.

Trogon

Alas, I didn't get to use my Egyptian Tarots (http://www.tarotgarden.com/database/dbsearchengine.php?search_type=advanced&pageenter=0) nearly as much as I wanted to this past week. However, I did get to do 3 daily readings with it.

The paintings for the cards were done using tempera on papyrus, which makes them, I think, rather unique. It definitely gives them a very ancient Egyptian feel. I seem to have misplaced my LWB, so I can't go into the artists intent very much. The basic imagery in the Majors appears to be RWS or Thoth (Strength is XI and Justice VIII, so possibly Thoth). The Minors are pretty much "pip" cards with some having some slight illustration.

I had thought the Minors, being mostly unillustrated, would give me some problem as I was slightly out of practice. But, the readings I did flowed easily and were accurate. Although, I do have to say, this deck didn't seem to be quite as intuitive as some other decks. I found myself relating the cards to RWS meanings for the most part. It is certainly a very "readable" deck and I do like it. This deck certainly is a visually interesting deck and I will probably be giving it another try in a few weeks.

[ETA: The reason I can't find my LWB is pretty simple. When I went to put away my deck till I bring it out in a couple of weeks again ... I found that I had the companion book right next to it on the shelf! :|]