Deviant Moon Tarot

pumpkin1981

Aliceanna said:
Pumpkin1981, you're so right! This deck is amazingly fluid and fluent. It speaks to me like no other. I cannot wait for the sister deck to be finished (and I've been giving Deviant Moon Tarot to every tarot reading friend I know. LOL. So far, only one has balked).

aliceanna

I agree with you. This deck is very vibrant, colorful and not dark. I love it. And I hope the sister deck will come to us as soon as possible. :)

agata

death card

Is there any significance in the death card 13 being the only major having no title written under it?

Sulis

agata said:
Is there any significance in the death card 13 being the only major having no title written under it?
The Death card has no title because it's a homage to the Tarot de Marseilles where the Death card is known as Trump XIII with no other title.

yipe

Does anyone know what it's supposed to say on the pedestal the Empress is sitting on? I see an R, and E, and below that either a big E or F, and a small L, what are we missing here, blocked by her feet?

yipe

Now that I look more closely, I see that the Hierophant is perched on a similar pedestal, and I can see what looks like maybe bits of dates, and the word "car", perhaps this is the grave of someone that died in a car crash?

Spoon Bender

yipe said:
Does anyone know what it's supposed to say on the pedestal the Empress is sitting on? I see an R, and E, and below that either a big E or F, and a small L, what are we missing here, blocked by her feet?

I have been studying the Deviant Moon deck for a year on my own. Just when I think it is deep with meaning and underlying innuendos, it gets deeper! The story is fascinating. I think the letters on the pedestal surely come from a tomb of some kind. I have not figured out the meaning though. There is also writing on the four of swords. Looks like an old fashioned handwritten letter, and there are strange letters on the bed of the nine of swords, and what about the letters on the floor of the wheel of fortune? I keep checking the website, but Patrick has not posted info on these yet. We should just ask him?

irisa

I love this deck so much depth and I'd love to know more about it. I really hope the hints about a companion book turn into reality hurry Patrick hurry! Please!

irisa :)

LisaHuntArt

If you haven't heard already, Patrick's DM images appear in a cologne ad in Oprah Magazine. Is tarot going mainstream? ;)
Congrats, my friend! Your work is amazing and deserves widespread recognition.

yipe

I love this deck, were it not for this deck in fact, I would probably still not be a tarot reader. Yes I did just reveal that I'm pretty new to this :p

If someone knows a way to ask Moonboy about the lettering, then please by all means do, I'm dying to know what on those tombs!

Moonboy

yipe said:
I love this deck, were it not for this deck in fact, I would probably still not be a tarot reader. Yes I did just reveal that I'm pretty new to this :p

If someone knows a way to ask Moonboy about the lettering, then please by all means do, I'm dying to know what on those tombs!

Hi yipe!

Thanks for asking about the pedestals. I hope this answers your question! :)

Many of the photo's I took for the DM where of bits and pieces of my normally-odd childhood. When I began to create the deck, I went back to places of meaning for me, and incorporated memories into the images.

When I was about 7 or 8 years old, my father used to take me with him to the post office. Back in the 1970's, it was not unusual to leave a child alone in a car while the parent shopped. Well, this post office was across the street from a very large "modern" cemetery, but it did have its "old" part, and that's where he used to park the car all the time. While he was in there, I would sit quietly and stare out the window, feeling watched by two very large moldy monuments. They both had giant trophy type cups on top. I knew they were from another time and I knew those souls had left the earth a VERY long time ago. They scared the heck out of me, but got me to think about the mystery of life and death at an early age. I used to think...."they are long dead, yet I am still a KID!" Yet I KNEW that when I became old and feeble, the stones would STILL be there...waiting for me to be like them!

I finally got to visit them in person when I made the deck,

The stones were from a husband and wife...both died 1858 (maybe together-just gave the month), and they had the noble titles of Baron and Baroness! The pedestal of the High Priestess and Heirophant are made from their epitaph. I felt it was fitting.

(I was going to use the actual tomb cups for a card, (8 cups) but the composition didn't work out)......

For the Empress and Emperor..their letterings are both from the same stone....the first death-head stone I ever saw, back around 1979 on a trip to East Hampton LI. The art carvings always fascinated me, and gave birth to so many creative ideas in my youth.....fitting it should be used for the "Mother and Father" of the tarot!

Thanks so much for asking!

.....Hi irisa...

I know USG have been asked, and so have I, about a companion book. I would love to do it. I think the economy is a big factor, but I think if more folks petition USG the book could easily become reality.

Sincerely,

~Patrick

PS...Thanks Lisa:)....Hey, I have to tell you a pretty cool story about the FairyTale Tarot...talk soon! :)