Deviant Moon Tarot

yipe

Woo-hoo! Patrick Valenza answered my question!

*Totally star struck*

What ever happened to those scans of The Fool from the sister deck to Deviant Moon? You teased us with that back in July! Your blog now says you have four decks in the works, is that why there's been a delay with the preview?

Can you give us any clues what this book is about?

Spoon Bender

Moonboy said:
Hi yipe!

Thanks for asking about the pedestals. I hope this answers your question! :)

Many of the photo's I took for the DM where of bits and pieces of my normally-odd childhood. When I began to create the deck, I went back to places of meaning for me, and incorporated memories into the images.

When I was about 7 or 8 years old, my father used to take me with him to the post office. Back in the 1970's, it was not unusual to leave a child alone in a car while the parent shopped. Well, this post office was across the street from a very large "modern" cemetery, but it did have its "old" part, and that's where he used to park the car all the time. While he was in there, I would sit quietly and stare out the window, feeling watched by two very large moldy monuments. They both had giant trophy type cups on top. I knew they were from another time and I knew those souls had left the earth a VERY long time ago. They scared the heck out of me, but got me to think about the mystery of life and death at an early age. I used to think...."they are long dead, yet I am still a KID!" Yet I KNEW that when I became old and feeble, the stones would STILL be there...waiting for me to be like them!

I finally got to visit them in person when I made the deck,

The stones were from a husband and wife...both died 1858 (maybe together-just gave the month), and they had the noble titles of Baron and Baroness! The pedestal of the High Priestess and Heirophant are made from their epitaph. I felt it was fitting.

(I was going to use the actual tomb cups for a card, (8 cups) but the composition didn't work out)......

For the Empress and Emperor..their letterings are both from the same stone....the first death-head stone I ever saw, back around 1979 on a trip to East Hampton LI. The art carvings always fascinated me, and gave birth to so many creative ideas in my youth.....fitting it should be used for the "Mother and Father" of the tarot!

Thanks so much for asking!

.....Hi irisa...

I know USG have been asked, and so have I, about a companion book. I would love to do it. I think the economy is a big factor, but I think if more folks petition USG the book could easily become reality.

Sincerely,

~Patrick

PS...Thanks Lisa:)....Hey, I have to tell you a pretty cool story about the FairyTale Tarot...talk soon! :)

Oh neat! Great story. Please, what about the writing on the nine of swords?
We are doing a senior project in my art class and I want to do something that has inspired me from the deviant moon. I hope it comes out well, and I am so taken by your work. many people in my school are into it too, just wanted to let you know

irisa

Moonboy said:
.....Hi irisa...

I know USG have been asked, and so have I, about a companion book. I would love to do it. I think the economy is a big factor, but I think if more folks petition USG the book could easily become reality.

Sincerely,

~Patrick

Thanks Patrick, we need a bit of people power then :)

It's just I feel there are so many interesting snippets you could share with us about this deck that it's really screaming for a book!

irisa :)

ETA: All Deviant Mooners please mail USG and ask for a Companion Book :D

mac22

irisa said:
Thanks Patrick, we need a bit of people power then :)

It's just I feel there are so many interesting snippets you could share with us about this deck that it's really screaming for a book!

irisa :)

ETA: All Deviant Mooners please mail USG and ask for a Companion Book :D

Email sent Patrick!!!! :D

Catwomyn

OK, I sent in my request for the companion book as well.

Spoon Bender

I will send an email to, who do I send it to? I want this book

Essjay

I'm quite excited by the fact that the deck is going to be re-printed in China with the same card stock as the Paulina. I'm going to buy this deck again when the new printing comes out. My main sticking point with the deck before though was the Ace of Wands. Yes, it's a beautiful card but I have a question. Is the child in the card from a photograph of a real child?

I know this is quite an odd thing to have a query about but it plays on my mind. Having just typed this I realise that every card in tarot brings questions to mind that says more about the reader than the cards. Nevertheless - I'd like to know!!

Eta - I would also be very interested in a companion book as Patrick's insight into the pillars and what they meant to him add extra layers to the cards.

Emylicious

I would send an email, just tell me where to send it!

I would LOVE a companion book.

I think I love the books of decks almost as much as the cards. ALMOST.

Emily x

missy

I love the concept behind the Deviant Moon, and the artwork is fascinating to look at. But I just can't seem to get into the Deviant Moon; it strikes me as so very creepy; and inwardly I balk at the images as I look at them. I can't imagine being able to read with it.

Has anyone else felt this way, then received it, and found it works great as a reading deck?

When I look at it, I don't connect with it at all, on any level. :bugeyed:

But I admire the beautiful artwork.